Can Anything be Done for Old Tires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anything be Done for Old Tires?

After a layoff of quite a few years I've been able to find a group racing 1/32nd scale box stock cars. My problem is I have a bunch of cars that work fairly well, but the tires have gotten hard after sitting in a closet for years. Is there anything that can be done for old, hard tires to get them useable again or is it just a matter of having to find replacement tires? Thanks.

Just replace them.

Comment

Finding replacement OEM rubber tires can be difficult. Some tires might be brought back to life using 3in1 oil or Trinity Tire Tweak, other tires may not respond to any treatment. You could replace the original tires with silicone or urethane tires. If you will be running rubber tires on your track urethane tires would probably be a better choice.

Comment

Where can I find replacement original tires? I can't seem to find any for my 15 year old Fly and Scalextric and Slot.It cars. I do have silicones for them, but it just doesn't look right! Any help is appreciated!

Comment

OEM Slot.it tires that came on the cars were different from the ones that were sold as separate items. Slot.it does sell a variety of rubber tires that will fit your wheels and nearly everyone carries those. Replacements for other OEM tires are a different matter. Since most makers did not use standard wheels many different tires would be needed for each make. The majority of the makers were never very interested in supplying replacement parts, most of the time if you needed rear tires you would have to buy an entire rear axle assembly. There are a few online dealers that might have the tires that you need, be aware that those tires may have been sitting on the shelf for some time and may already have started to harden up.
          I don't use rubber tires myself, so I have not bookmarked specific suppliers that would sell them, if I recall correctly a question about replacement rubber tires was posted fairly recently, you might find an answer if you try a search.

Comment

NSR make a good replacement for Fly Classics, Slot It make tyres for there cars as do Scalex all in rubber.Eurethane and silicone are options,Look at the advertisers on this Forum.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
              X