Slide Guides on 1/43rd Scale Cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Guides on 1/43rd Scale Cars

I have been receiving inquiries (and orders) from a number of racers who want to fit Slide Guides to their 1/43rd scale cars. Slide Guides are miniature guide shoes, very similar to those used for 1/24th scale cars.

While Slide Guides were originally designed to fit HO scale cars they can also be fitted to 1/43rd scale cars. I have done the conversions myself on both Scalextric and Carrera models. Both involve some cutting of the plastic undercarriage, and both involve soldering. I have converted a half dozen cars to date. On some cars it is necessary to space the Slide Guide away from the undercarriage to get it to fully engage the slot. But in all cases the conversions have worked and worked well.

If you are interested in racing without magnetic downforce the conversion is especially beneficial. Slide Guides use Pickup Wire instead of braided wire for the electrical contact. Since Pickup Wire is not braided, it is far more flexible and won't hold the front wheels up off the track like braid does. That makes a world of difference when you are racing without magnets. Formula 1 models perform especially well.

If there is an interest I will contribute articles on how to install Slide Guides on different brands and types of 1/43rd scale cars. I can also contribute an article on soldering.

Best,
    Ed Bianchi

Ed
    Welcome
    thank you

Comment

Hi Ed,
      i fitted some of my 1/43rd cars with your slide guides. They work really awesome on my 1/43rd wood track and they worked great on my 1/43rd Artin track.
      Im a big fan of your guides and will soon order some as im running out of my stock.
      Peter

Comment

Ed,

If you can show us how you converted some of the different Carreras that would be great. I have found that some of the chassis are slide guide friendly and others are not.

Thanks! Dave.....

Comment

i would like to see conversions for both the SCX and Carerra cars.

do you recommend the .083 or .089 guides or it doesn't matter?

thanks

Bruce

Comment

You can use either .083 or .089 guides -- the only difference is the diameter of the mounting post. The .083 guides have a (guess what!) 0.083 inch diameter mounting post. The .089 guides, well, you can figure it out. Six thousandths of an inch only makes a difference if you want to snap the guides into a Tomy or a LifeLike chassis. For Scalextric or Carrara cars it doesn't really matter.

Once I figure out how to add photos to these posts I'll show y'all some pictures.

Oh, and I am thinking about looking into gel tires. They're supposed to be better than silicone, which is saying something! I know they are made for 1/32nd scale cars, but I don't know about 1/43rd. Can anybody fill me in?

Best,
            Ed Bianchi

Comment

I've done this to Carrera D143s: http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=46660

Comment

I would be interested in some more information I have 2 Carrera GO F1 cars I would like to set up to run on my wood track

DM

Comment

I think I need to be specific here. Some folks are calling ANY kind of pivoting guide shoe a 'slide guide'. That is unfortunate. It causes confusion. Slide Guides are a product I make and sell through my company, HO RacePro. The name is copyrighted.

IOWA999, you might want to do a Google search on 'Slide Guide' and 'HO RacePro'. The first hit will take you to a photo of a Slide Guide. It is a very different guide shoe than what you have been experimenting with. (Again I apologize for not being able to post a link. I won't be allowed to do that until I become an advertiser.)

Because the Slide Guide was designed for HO scale cars it is VERY thin. You'll find it will fit under cars that other guide shoes won't. The good news here is your front tires WILL be able to touch and roll -- something you have been having trouble achieving with the other guide shoes you have been testing.

Best,
                  Ed Bianchi

Comment

Here are photos of a Slide Guide on a Tomy HO scale car.

(Hope this works... it's the first time I've tried inserting photos in a post.)

Best,
                    Ed Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by HO RacePro View Post
                      Here are photos of a Slide Guide on a Tomy HO scale car.

(Hope this works... it's the first time I've tried inserting photos in a post.)

Best,
                      Ed Bianchi

I would definately be interested in seeing an install guide with photos for your "Slide Guide" install on some Carrera "GO" chasis cars...!!!

Comment

I second that. Let's see em in Carrera cars. Different chassis styles please!

Comment

Here are a couple of photos of a Slide Guide installation on a Carrera GO!!! F1 model.

And here are a couple of an installation on a Carrera GO!!! road car model (Ford Mustang).

Finally, here are some shots of a SCX Compact F1 model.

All three of these installations required some cutting and/or drilling at the front of the chassis. And all three installations required one spacer (of the 3 provided with each Slide Guide) to get the guide low enough to insert fully in the slot.

I'll create a gallery when I qualify to do so, and follow up with an article with step-by-step instructions.

Best,
                          Ed Bianchi

Comment

here are some other Go! cars with slide guides:
                            CARS - the king

CARS - lightning mcqueen

CARS - chick hicks

Mini Cooper

CARFORCE

cheers,
                            Peter

Comment

This is a great idea and very nice how-to pics by Peter!!

Comment

Working...
                              X