Limited Production Racing Chassis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Production Racing Chassis

I am seriously thinking about manufacturing a series of limited-production cars in 1/43rd scale with a metal (brass or steel) chassis, Slide Guide pickups, possibly more powerful motors, and competition wheels and tires.

I am thinking about making chassis that would fit the existing GO!, Carrera, SCX and Artin bodies. I am also thinking about a sprint car chassis that would fit a custom, vacuum-formed body. (Sprint cars are fun!)

Is there any interest out there? Does anybody have suggestions for motors, or wheels and tires, or vacuum-formed bodies that would be appropriate?

I'm coming from the HO slotracing world, but I have been interested in 1/43rd scale for many years. Now it is beginning to look like the scale is starting to develop some roots. I've seen a lot of one-off project cars that look a whole lot like what I used to see back in the '60's in 1/24th and 1/32nd scale. In other words, there seems to be excitement building out there, and I'm interested in helping it take off!

Check out what I've been doing in HO scale, at my horacepro website.

Best,
    Ed Bianchi

Hi Ed
    I'm interested!!! I like the sprint car idea. A chassis to fit F1 style cars would be nice too.

We use to do 1:1 stock cars at our local dirt track where they ran 360 sprints. Wild stuff and fun to watch.

I do 1/24 scale also and was thinking of building chassis for them. Always thought that scratch built brass would fit in well with 1/43. And they can use the weight on no mag tracks.
    If you do, could you put in axle bushings. Please!!!

Seems that a lot of us HO-er's are dipping our toes into 1/43.

Personally I think that the weakness of the 1/43 commercial offerings is the power pickup and guide systems, works good for their systems ( plastic magnet tracks ) but I like to route my own tracks.

Give-er a go. I'll bite!

By the way I got some of your Slide Guides for converting my SCX and Carrera cars. I've not done one yet but will soon. Thanks!

Ted

Comment

Sure! The more manufacturers the better!

Comment

I will be very interest in testing/using those brass chassis. Before landing in USA, 10 years ago, my slot car experience was only on racing 124 custom made brass chassis.

YES TO THE PROJECT! !!!!!!!

Daniel

PS: yesterday I ordered slide guides and pick up wire.

Comment

Hi Ed,
          sounds like a great project!
          scale sized wheels would be an important part, from my point of view.
          GT cars? DBR9? Gallardo?
          vintage open wheelers?
          Peter

Comment

Sounds good to me
            I know where you might be able to get some nice Glow-in-the-Dark bodys--hehe

Comment

Sounds good to me.

Comment

More room for adjustable traction mags, hey Ed?

Comment

Originally posted by cjent View Post
                  Sure! The more manufacturers the better!
                  well said

Comment

OOOOOO ! I feel a routed tri-oval coming on , EH?

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by HO RacePro View Post
                      I am seriously thinking about manufacturing a series of limited-production cars in 1/43rd scale with a metal (brass or steel) chassis, Slide Guide pickups, possibly more powerful motors, and competition wheels and tires.

I am thinking about making chassis that would fit the existing GO!, Carrera, SCX and Artin bodies. I am also thinking about a sprint car chassis that would fit a custom, vacuum-formed body. (Sprint cars are fun!)

Is there any interest out there? Does anybody have suggestions for motors, or wheels and tires, or vacuum-formed bodies that would be appropriate?

I'm coming from the HO slotracing world, but I have been interested in 1/43rd scale for many years. Now it is beginning to look like the scale is starting to develop some roots. I've seen a lot of one-off project cars that look a whole lot like what I used to see back in the '60's in 1/24th and 1/32nd scale. In other words, there seems to be excitement building out there, and I'm interested in helping it take off!

Check out what I've been doing in HO scale, at my horacepro website.

Best,
                      Ed Bianchi

I'm in! i just drove my first brass chassis car at Nomad Slots in Vista CA. (Thanks Jim for making me a convert) and Im just getting into 1/43 as well and like them. I would love to run some non mag with a good chassis.. .body offerings? I'll take them all But I really would love to see a good Ferrari 250 GT "63 .. Count me in!

Comment

First Steps

Just the other day I repowered a 1/43rd scale F1 chassis with an HO slotcar motor, with a definite step up in performance. And I don't think the car is optimized. I think the gear ratio is too high for the motor -- a smaller crown gear might give it more top end without sacrificing acceleration.

I was running the car on a track with copper braid -- no steel, so no magnetic downforce. Still, the car had very good handling with stock tires. No magnetic downforce means there's less drag on the car, which permits a lower gear ratio.

That little experiment confirms to me that the standard motor that seems to be used by all the 1/43rd scale manufacturers isn't anything like the ultimate. Short term, that means a higher-performance car is an easy win. Long term, there's lots of room to up the game still further, with a new, purpose-built motor specifically for 1/43rd scale.

All of my 1/43rd scale cars have been fitted with Slide Guides. Pickup Wire is far more flexible than the stock braids, greatly reducing the tendency of the guide to hold the front wheels up off the track, and reducing front end drag to boot.

Just today I found Ranch Design on the web (http://www.ranch-design.com/). Their aluminum wheels look very interesting. Getting ROUND wheels has been a concern. Too many plastic wheels are anything but true, and I know from experience that you MUST have good wheels to get decent performance.

Right now my ideas for a chassis revolve around a one-piece brass pan. That is also something I can get made for me, to my specs. Yes, it costs money, but I just can't match the capabilities of a shop that's properly equipped for small, custom sheet-metal fabrication.

I'd dearly love to get my greedy mitts on a basement-size CNC mill to machine chassis out of stacks of brass sheet, but those machine tools are still too expensive. At least for now. I figure I'd need US$10,000 to get a decent setup. But that's tons cheaper than such goodies used to price out, not so very long ago.

Maybe if this project develops legs I'll find a way to afford a robot mill. Hey, I can dream...

Best,
                        Ed Bianchi

Comment

Hi Ed! Ranch Design has al kinds of awesome goodies!

Comment

Hi Ed
                            Glad to hear you are making some progress!

I have converted 2 cars to your Slide Guides now and I got to say, they work great, I am pleased. If your chassis works as well, you'll have a winner.

I got a cnc router a couple of years ago and have found a ton of uses for it. Perhaps you can find a good used one. I haven't tried brass on it yet but I don't see why it won't work as it will cut aluminium. Routers can be had for half of what you mentioned. Look at K2 cnc, for one.

Ted

Comment

Further Update

Just the other day I fitted another car with the HO motor I mentioned in a previous post. This was NOT a 1/43rd scale car, it was one of my 1/50th scale diecast conversions -- a Wingmaster Sprint.

The Wingmaster Sprint is a motorized version of a GMP diecast model winged sprint car. GMP stopped making them a while back, but they are still available, new in box, from folks on eBay. I've got 40 of 'em stashed away for a future project.

At 1/50th scale, with a diecast chassis, along with both diecast and plastic bodywork, these cars are on the heavy side. They get heavier when I add my motorized pan chassis, because it is 1/16th inch thick solid brass. Deliberately heavy, to help keep the car from flipping.

Okay, short version is the new motor was an impressive success. The car scoots out of the corners and gets up to a very nice clip before I have to brake again. The gear ratio is much lower than on my converted 1/43rd scale car and, as I suspected, the performance is much improved. It will simply dust the 1/43rd conversion, which is already a step up from stock.

The nice thing about that HO motor is it is short enough it could be installed as a full sidewinder in a 1/43rd scale chassis. Now that could be really impressive -- spur gears instead of crown and pinion gearing. Very compact and efficient!

Or, if I want to get radical, these motors are narrow enough I could install two of them, side-by-side and inline, driving a pair of crown gears on the rear axle.

Not freaky enough? How about a 4-pack and all-wheel drive, yes?

Pardon me if I giggle... I'm starting to feel my MST (Mad Scientist Tendencies) bubbling up.

Best,
                              Ed Bianchi

Comment

Working...
                              X