Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W'sMRC(7): track cost (2017/11/14 update)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W'sMRC(7): track cost (2017/11/14 update)

Hi folks!

I have sold my N scale model RR last year... Well... My son was throwing away my digital Kato engines ... So... I bought a Carrera go! club clearance for a very cheap price. The Club was converting to D132.

The William's mountains road course (5) layout is on a 4'X8' aspenite sheet with 56' of track (inside lane is shorter by 9''.- I have a track plan but I can't edit my personnal album for the moment). The table is on retractable legs wheels with turning point with the table. My basement window is 54'' width, so I can put it out "easily" from the house. The tunnel as a floor "abrasive grey paint" for avoiding desloting and all the other grey patchs are acrylic "sliding" grey paint.

First, analog track was all right for me and my 4 y/o son. But when I learned by SCI the possibility of converting to digital, I decided to step up my layout. But he still does not know the digital system... So, I am working secretly on the track on my late evenings until Santa...

Now: Carrera digital wireless, CU 30352; 7 cars at the same time; It runs terrific...!!!

5 D143 cars (2 SCX DTM, 2 SCX Porsches, 1 Carrera Police interceptor)
    2 D132 cars 26740 Chip GHOST car (SCX Ferrari GT, Carrera DTM)

The SCX Ferrari is great; Easy and soft drifting with a smooth ride. Rear wheels are in the corner of the chassis. The chassis is a bit wider than the SCX DTM; much more easier to insert the 26740 D132 Chip.

I have been really surprised of being able to run 7 cars at the same time with a sticker on top of the wireless speed controler... I tought, at the beginning, that the maximum of cars on the track was 6, even with the ghost cars. For the moment, Digital cars are a half second slower than the analog.

Refueling with pitlane is projected for spring. I will have to remove the single lane.

Sorry for the poor quality video!!! This is from my "crapy" 2003 Kodak 6230... My handycam is struggling...

[youtube]Kqyx3IoIyVM [/youtube]

Thanks for watching and special thanks to the SCI web site.
    Last edited by pl9171; 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM.

Says the videos are private.

Comment

Ok! Just a minute!

It should works. Now.

My track plan evolution since december 2010: No track plan software... We played during 3 weeks for first three W'sMRC and for 5 months W'sMRC (4);

And from august 2011: W'SMRC(5)

Note: The helicoidal is not just for fun; From my W'sMRC (4) to the actual track plan, I was 31'' shorter in the inside lane. By adding the Heli. + more single to inside lane from turn 7 to turn 13, I picked up 22''... 9'' in difference, that's «ok» because the outside lane is faster (thanks to the hand made guard rail...)

Last edited by pl9171; 11-24-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Video worked OK !!........Track is a blast too . It will be a great Christmas present.

The position tower is a MUST have......go for it. You will not regret. It will tell you race laps and position of the cars in the race with really big numbers.

About the fuel option, it is a must have because if you know that it exist, why not have it. But being said this, it has his pros and cons. Pros: you have to plan your race and pay attention when you will refill the tank, and the race take a different dimension, it is about strategy. Cons: you need the driver display (1 per car) or use a software like the one from Bruce to see how much fuel is left over in the tank.

Yesterday I was testing the track with one of my sons (25 years old) and I have connected 1 Driver Dispaly (DD) (in the D132 track I have 6 DD, one per racing car and I only have to take them from one track to the other). OK...we were racing on the D143 and suddenly I saw that the position tower was not counting the laps for my car programed as car #2. I said a couple of bad words thinking that something was going bad, when I remembered that the DD connected to the track was set up for car #1 (my son's car). So the info I was seeing in the display was for car #1. You can push a button on the display and you can see the status of cars 1 to 6. When I took a look to car #2 it has the tank empty, no more fuel. On D132, the fuel function make the car go slowly and if you do not refuel, the sensor do not count the lap (it is a penalty). In the D143 chip is the same, but with the heat of the race, I did not realized about the lower speed (it isn't as significant as in D132, were the cars almost goes at walking speed), and that was why it was not counting my laps.......it was doing what it is supposed to do.

In other words, if you really like to enjoy the fuel function, you will need a DD per car (same for D132) and that is $50 extra/per car.

You can test the fuel function to see if you like it, but for that you will need at least 1 DD. The fuel sensor (or fuel adapter) is cheap. Powerslot cars have it for $9-10 each. The DD is around $50. See my last posting in the D143 4-lane thread. The way I set up the pit stop now is working great !!!. You take out the fuel sensor from the 132 track piece and place it in the 143 track section of your 143 pit stop lane.

NICE VIDEOS AND GREAT AND FUNNY TRACK.......you will have lot of fun ''PRICELESS".

Daniel

PS: You will see what it is racing 5-6 cars, at the same time with 5-6 guys. It will not go so smooth as in the video because you really need experience to avoid bumper to bumper crashing's or if someone change the lane at the same time you does....etc. BUT YOU WILL BE CRYING ALL THE TIME OF

Questions:

- What voltage are you using ?

- The ghost car with the D132 chip was changing lanes automatically, as they do in the D132 track ?
        (I will expect that the answer wil be YES, because is a D132 chip with a CU, but I am curious to know if there has to be also a software interaction with the Lane changer. These lane changers are D143 and not D132)
        Last edited by slotcardaniel; 11-24-2011, 08:03 AM.

Comment

WOW! Need to start thinking about digital more seriously!

Comment

Originally posted by slotcardaniel View Post
            NICE VIDEOS AND GREAT AND FUNNY TRACK.......you will have lot of fun ''PRICELESS".
            What voltage are you using ?
            The ghost car with the D132 chip was changing lanes automatically, as they do in the D132 track
            Thanks for the comment! Pretty interesting!

I am using a basic Output voltage (14,8V 42VA). I don't miss power with the SCX (12V) but I miss a little bit with the Carrera (14,8V) at the helicoidal. So, SCX is the choice of the moment.

Yes, the ghost car is changing lane...! It's funny because the Ghost car is changing lane only 1/5 or 1/6 ... So, must of the time the ghost car is following the other race cars...! At the beginning, I tought that the ghost car was not changing lane automaticaly... But on my buddy D132 track, the ghost car is changing lane 1/2. So, I don't know why there's so much difference.

Refueling: I tought that I was able to race without the DD... And «guess» the fuel during the race (?) ... And enter the pitlane, push the CL button and refuel... (?)
            I did not try the actual fuel mode with D132 chip. But speed/braking settings works perfectly with bot SCX/Carrera D132 chip.

And... I was going to adapt maybe the 61618 MCL to the D132 fuel adapter by «replacing» the soldering ends to fit with the 143 track. (cut the D132 black plastic end). Don't know if it could work...

Pierre
            Last edited by pl9171; 11-24-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

WOW!!!!

I wish I was just starting out now ----Digital all the way---!!!

Comment

@ 007 and jhrico: Thank you for your comments!

If you want to think about digital, I would recommand you the 30352 CU instead of the 30344 Black box... Because I have already (from my buddy) a 30344 plugged in a 100 mm Go! track and I'm struggling so much for coding the cars. Really. And especially with the D143. (I have a picture of the set up)

By example, when you want to stop the ghost car with the 30352 CU, you simply push on "code" button and everything stop. Then, press "escape" button and everything restart... Love that.
                Last edited by pl9171; 11-24-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Terrific, PL! Great video and super track. Got you email and we reopen at 8AM Monday!

Comment

Great, love the way the track is set up! It shows that you can have a long track on a limited space. Like it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by pl9171 View Post
                      Thanks for the comment! Pretty interesting!

Refueling: I tought that I was able to race without the DD... And «guess» the fuel during the race (?) ... And enter the pitlane, push the CL button and refuel... (?)

Pierre
                      Please, do not take my words as a fact. Follow your idea. The fuel sensor is cheap. Try it without expending the money in a DD and later you decide based on your own experience. Pay attention when you get the feeling of losing speed. Or if you have a Position tower, when the car will not count laps.

Cheers
                      Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by pl9171 View Post
                        @ 007 and jhrico: Thank you for your comments!

If you want to think about digital, I would recommand you the 30352 CU instead of the 30344 Black box... Because I have already (from my buddy) a 30344 plugged in a 100 mm Go! track and I'm struggling so much for coding the cars. Really. And especially with the D143. (I have a picture of the set up)

By example, when you want to stop the ghost car with the 30352 CU, you simply push on "code" button and everything stop. Then, press "escape" button and everything restart... Love that.
                        thanks for the info. now i need to ask a certain dealer if that's the one he has

Comment

Originally posted by jhrico View Post
                          thanks for the info. now i need to ask a certain dealer if that's the one he has
                          No problem!

But CU must be 2011. Important. Because the early 2010 production as only 1 tour reception signal working by the speed controlers. Why? I don't know. *even if the 2 towers are plugged in the CU correctly* Check here;

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...=30352+problem

And I have 09/2010 production CU... (it's written behind the straight track) And my box is now open = no more warranty. So, I have to ship back to Dave Kennedy (Carrera) for the "CU up to date" by his software. He told me that he's the only one who can do that.

I have no signals problem even with 7 cars running and 1 reception tour. But for the Kids (they will be on 18'' step...), it could be VERY useful to have a second tour on the floor if they drop a little bit their WSC during a race... And lost the "on top table" control tower signal by a half second.

Keep going
                          Pierre

Special thanks to Chuck and DaFickser for your comments!! Really appreciate.
                          Last edited by pl9171; 11-26-2011, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Video of track looks like crazy chaotic fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stigs_Fat_American_Cousin View Post
                              Video of track looks like crazy chaotic fun!!!
                              Thanks for the comment. Yes! "Chao" is the good word, especially with 8 cars running (last saturday). My girlfriend just loves to see me blocked in a mini traffic jam of three cars and have a chance to pass me!

I've got a pm this week in regard of the set up cost (no problem);

Analog set up (december to august '11); track (80' from a Carrera Club .-140$ + 5 "so-so" Go! cars) + foam, + wood (mostly from my house/deck construction), + "plexi-glass" + plaster + paint + ebay Woodland paint (no more dollar store paint...), + steel 45 degres braces + legs wheels + hinges; Around 400$

Digital set up (august to now): CU + 6 WSC (bought 2 used WSC) + Tour + 6 D143 chips (all used) + 3 D132 chips + SCX cars (mostly used) + DLC (all used too); Around 450$ (stretch to 550$ with all D132 chip for spring)

Not cheap, but anything has broken yet and fun... (But kids are coming up... )

Retractable legs on wheels (important); there will be a washroom this summer in this basement corner.

W'sMRC (0)... Well... Too "Big" mountain and "concave angle" track expectations at the beginning... Go tracks too stiff...

W'sMRC (4). Inside lane was way too short.

Turn 15: hinges "plexi-glass"...

Scratches tour, retainning wall and the little stand... Well... My 4 y/o son was the " chief designer"... Funny. He helps me a lot for sticking all the mini logs/strips.

Now:

18 '' twice steps are ready for kids... Have to wait until Santa. (...)

Thanks for watching.
                              Last edited by pl9171; 12-15-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X