spacing for 1/43

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spacing for 1/43

I have been contemplating routing a four lane ho track in a 4X8 layout. The more I look at 1/43 as a 3 lane in the same space the better it looks. Can anyone tell me realistic measurements for lane spacing and gutters inside and out? I have never run these cars before but they look like a good compromise for my space available. What ever I do I will be routing and running a variable power supply. I will have no crossovers and no elevation changes on this track. So, what about the spacing?

i used the following measurements on my 3 routed tracks and they worked really well for me. actual track is a 3-lane track.

lane spacing: 60mm
    lane 1 to inside border: 50mm
    lane 3 to outside border: 80mm

Comment

Hmm. That is going to make a 3 lane on a 4X8 table difficult. How do you think it would work cutting back spacing to 57 mm maybe even as much as 55 mm? It would make a big difference in what I could put into the space available. One problem is, I don't even know how wide these cars are yet. I really have just started contemplating this scale.

Comment

My Carrera go track lane spacing is 2".25 from center to center & almost 1".25 to the edge as for the curves & since you're going HO I would add about 2".5 more

But routing HO track is the hardest one to doo unless you go copper tape but if you do you'll have to mod your HO braids & guide (flag guide)

Anyhow good luck with your project

Comment

refigure....

...that's millimeters, not centimeters.

60 mm = 2 3/8"
          50 mm = 2 inches
          80 mm = 3 1/8"

total track width in 1/43 would be less than 10".....2" + 2.375" + 2.375" + 3.125" = 9.875"

TOJ
          Last edited by The Old Jaybird; 08-23-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

55mm is artin lane spacing - this is going to be really tight! i would not be under 60mm.
            cars are between 35 (really small) and 45mm (really wide). max width during proxies is normally ruled out by 2" (50,8mm)

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess the verdict is in....get creative! I still don't know what kind of turn radius I can have on the inside lane and not be too tight. I see videos of different tracks and some do well with pretty tight and some don't. The best I can figure is it depends upon the smoothness of your transitions and surface grip. It seems a well routed track could get away with the inside lane having a radius of about 5" but not much less. I would appreciate some feed back on that. The more I look at 43rd scale the more I like the idea over ho. It seems to offer a little more towards what I have done in the past and would enjoy doing now. I really like the idea of doing my own ground up builds and I don't think that could be done in ho.

Meanwhile I have been told by the "boss" I can forget the actual work starting until the first of the year. Our booking calendar (we are a Gospel singing family) is too tight until November and then I have to wait until the holidays are over. So I have 4 1/2 months to get my basics down.
              Tim

Comment

I am in the process of building a new track and my lane spacing has always been an even 2 inches. close but not too close.

Comment

Hi Tim,
                  minimum radius on the inside turns of my actual track is 2". works great for all cars with rotating guides like SCX and Kyosho. 2" is actually a really nice tight turn
                  Peter

Comment

Spacing

Originally posted by pfuetze View Post
                    i used the following measurements on my 3 routed tracks and they worked really well for me. actual track is a 3-lane track.

lane spacing: 60mm
                    lane 1 to inside border: 50mm
                    lane 3 to outside border: 80mm
                    What Peter has here is just about spot on! Very "safe"; on my Targa track I wanted it a bit more Cozy so I have some turns with less then 40mm on the inside and squeeze sections as close as 30mm lane spacing, BUT then I am completely nuts!

Comment

Spacing

Originally posted by TeamCaveman View Post
                      Thanks guys. I guess the verdict is in....get creative! I still don't know what kind of turn radius I can have on the inside lane and not be too tight. I see videos of different tracks and some do well with pretty tight and some don't. The best I can figure is it depends upon the smoothness of your transitions and surface grip. It seems a well routed track could get away with the inside lane having a radius of about 5" but not much less. I would appreciate some feed back on that. The more I look at 43rd scale the more I like the idea over ho. It seems to offer a little more towards what I have done in the past and would enjoy doing now. I really like the idea of doing my own ground up builds and I don't think that could be done in ho.

Meanwhile I have been told by the "boss" I can forget the actual work starting until the first of the year. Our booking calendar (we are a Gospel singing family) is too tight until November and then I have to wait until the holidays are over. So I have 4 1/2 months to get my basics down.
                      Tim
                      One big factor in the turn radius dept. is the cars you will be running; Cars with a moveable guide will handle the tight turns much better then say Carrera Go! cars with their thick oval blade guide. The Carrera cars with a stock guide will get jammed in the tight radius turns, but some doctoring of the guide (or change to a rotating flag) can cure much if not all of this problem. I would suggest something a little less challenging for your first track; so 5" or a little more would be real good, a little faster and probably flow a little better. Also, a tight radius is going to be challenging to route. I use a Rigid Trim Router AND a cheap trim Router I got @ Harbor Freight! I have seen people use full sized routers on 1/43 tracks and I might use my Porter Cable on straights and stuff, but in the twisties I would still use a small one.

Comment

Thanks Peter and Mojo. I have made my decision after much and I do mean much deliberation. I am going to build a 43rd scale routed track. it will be a 4 lane oval. Setting this up on a 4X8 table I don't think I will be having problems with making my turns too tight. It will be either a egg shaped oval or a "D" oval. I want the two ends to drive totally different. I decided on an oval because in real life I love quarter mile dirt ovals best. I can build one and landscaping, including lights to run under, would be a lot of fun. I decided on 43rd for a number of reasons. One is the size of the cars compared to the track I am going to build and another is I believe I can build these from scratch later. Can some one tell me about changing out the carrera go flags to rotating flags?

Comment

Ranch-Design is offering a conversion kit to rotating guides, works great.
                          i did some conversions with H0 SlideGuides, they work great even on routed track. If you want pics, just let me know.

Comment

RE: Oval

Just afraid you might get bored running an oval???

BUt it will be a perfect practice for making something bigger or more elaborate later; you will have a better feel for it the second time!

Comment

Working...
                            X