Construction of Thunder Cave Raceway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction of Thunder Cave Raceway

After years of dreaming and work getting in the way, disability has made construction time for a slot car track possible. This thread will endeavor to show my feeble attempts at making a routed track. This track will be used by myself, my wife, and my adult children. If a slot car club could be created out of this it would be even better.
    My idea is to replicate, the best I can in a limited amount of space, "Saturday Night Dirt Track Racing"! The track will be a "D" shaped oval with turns 1 & 2 being increasing radius and 3 & 4 being decreasing radius. This will give me different turning aspects on each end with the two straights being different lengths.
    Due to the fact I have never used a router before I decided a template would be my best bet. I will use the template as a guide instead of using the router on a compass.
    This picture is my rough drawn lines on a sheet of plywood which will become my template. So far tools used are a tape measure, screw driver, wood screw, strip of cardboard (for a compass) and lumber marking pencil.

This picture shows the turn and lane spacing perspective. The outside lane will have a 3 inch gutter with another 2 inches to what will be a wall at the edge of the board. This also give a good perspective to the radius change in the turn.

I have now cut out the template. You will notice the sharp corner edge at the upper left. This is an example of the smoothing that will be required. I figured I would be better off if I left some wood to take off than take off wood I would wish I hadn't. I will use an electric palm sander to sculpt out the corners to make them smooth, especially the entrance and the exits. I feel I can get a smoother transition this way than I could using a compass hooked to a compass arm. Additional tools used. Hand held jig saw and palm sander with 220 grit sand paper.

I have now sanded the template so no bumps occur in the turns and the transitions are smooth with the turns changing radius gradually as they merge with the straights.
    I have decided on a 12 volt battery for the power source and am researching deep cycle batteries to see if I can find one small enough to satisfy me. If not then I will use a battery for a lawn tractor, 12 v @ 40 amps. Voltage will be reduced by diodes hooked to a rotary switch.
    Next step, move furniture, as my wife has agreed to let the track have a prominent place in our house instead of being buried in a small bedroom. (I have a GREAT wife!)
    Tim

look's like a fine start

Comment

great start, template looks great with fine radius!
      great wife!

Comment

Dinner Table Raceway... Looking forward to seeing your progress. Great to hear you're disability has created an opportunity.

All the best, Roland
        Sydney Australia
        www.facebook.com/Retro143SlotCars
        Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Great idea and looks good!

Comment

Looks like a fun project Caveman. I'll be staying tuned. Love the D.

Comment

Working...
            X