Clear All

• YHR
    replied
    Porsche 917 K Take 2

Another Porsche 917

Leave a comment:

• YHR
    replied
    Fixed a few flaws that were evident in the first pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Lloyd.L
    replied
    I think Dan has a small factory at his place, one that gets better every time!

Regards, Lloyd

Leave a comment:

• Headhunter
    replied
    Pattos on these. One car done by me, one stock, and the others done by the Master, BP.

Leave a comment:

• YHR
    replied
    Those look like great repaints. What decals do you use?

I host the pictures on my website so that is the size they are saved.

Leave a comment:

• Headhunter
    replied
    Very cool Dan. Here's mine, some Kyosho repaints. How do you get your pics to post so big?!
    Last edited by Headhunter; 03-01-2016, 11:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• YHR
    replied
    Porsche 917 K

Here is the latest car I have been working on. No interior as I am trying to get more go and less show out of the Gift Card chassis.

This one is the first non mag to break the 5 second lap and is running about 20% quicker then the ProNOmag cars I submitted that were clearly too slow. So focus has been placed on more speed on the latest builds

Resin cast shell is done using a two part mold so comes out requiring little work. ( Although the photos are picking up things my eyes never noticed.)

Leave a comment:

• sickle44
    replied
    The control unit for the digital 1/32 unit also needed a newer power supply and while not adjustable, I believe the computer inside the CU unit will actually lower the voltage when manipulating speed control. I would also like to figure out how to add run-off curbing as the 1/32 track does. Unfortunately, Carrera does not make any curbing for 1/43 stuff. I'm sure I can acquire a pivot point from SCX or other, but I really like the independent pivoting front axles, hence my wondering whether or not I'll need to buy a 3D printer.

Any idea on a proper scale weight btw?
    Last edited by sickle44; 02-27-2016, 03:04 PM. Reason: Just adding some more

Leave a comment:

• sickle44
    replied
    Hey Lloyd,

Thanks for the reply,

I've actually already done all that you've suggested, well mostly all, but also more. I've got lots of carrera 1/43 stuff, but have actually also begun to convert my 1/43 with the 1/32-1/24 control unit which allows control of braking, speed, fuel, 6 cars, laps, ghost and pace cars, and all that stuff to make the race more realistic. My query really began by trying to find out where I can find the kind of pivot points that other cars have and then I began to wonder about maybe just converting the SCX cars with a carrera digital 1/32 chip. As they sit, the 1/43 cars will even code and drive with the 1/32 control unit, but they won't allow any of the other CU unit's functions, sucky. Now I've learned that the SCX cars don't switch lanes the same way.

That said, it would really be excellent if the cars didn't have to rely on the lane changing track in order to change lanes, the way the scx cars change lanes as I understand, I think?

Originally posted by Lloyd
    I think it is best to start the way we all did:
    Oh do trust me, I've got a LOT of hours with slot cars and I'm pushin' 50 now.
    Now, I see all the funky modified stuff and just want to know where I can get a lot of these parts as I've been out of it for a long while, if possible, or if I've got to buy a 3D printer?

Leave a comment:

• Lloyd.L
    replied
    Hello Sickle44, I started to write you a long winded essay about how I build my cars, but I dont think that is what is needed here.

I think it is best to start the way we all did: Get hold of a car, or cars, probably Carrera GO as they are easy to find, and a small layout.(again, Carrera GO track is a good start.

Drive the car/s to see what they actually can do and find out what you like and dont like about them, and take it from there.

The cars will have traction magnets and will go round the track at a ridiculous speed with you hardly having to ease off the gas.

Moving on from there, the next stage is to remove the traction magnets. When you do the cars will likely sit there spinning their wheels and not do too much. 2, or ideally, 3 things are needed to get the car/s lapping quickly , with controlled hanging the tail out:

1 Better rear tyres. These can be bought from several suppliers, just Google Carrera GO replacement tires.

2 Get an adjustable voltage power supply. There are various sources for these, but I use an old model railroad power supply. It gives variable voltage and the ability to change the direction of travel, so twice the fun.

3 replace the car's pin guide with a swivel guide, almost any 1/32 scale guide will do.

Then it is up to you to decide how much further you want to go. Maybe rebody your Carrera GO chassis with the body from a plastic kit, maybe use the Carrera GO running gear in a 3D printed chassis, or maybe start making your own chassis.

Then alot of the posts, especially in the scratchbuilding section, will be more useful to you.

Regards, Lloyd.

Leave a comment:

• sickle44
    replied
    Lloyd, YHR, and Schakel,

That's some really very cool and nice work!!

I'm looking to get into something of the same, although I'm not certain I'll go so far as to make body castings as you guys have done. If scx lane changing is more desirable then other digital lane changing systems, then maybe I'll see if I can also adapt that to my carrera stuff. Without having to read five pages or more of threads, which I will eventually, is there a good place to buy all of the gears, motors, LED or SMD's, springs for suspension, pivoting front ends, and the like? I would really appreciate any help you might offer. Thanks.

I also would like to somehow retrofit my cars with sound as well.

Also, 1/43 of two tonnes, equals 93lbs and I somehow just don't think that a 93lb 1/43 car would be really all that safe when it flys off the track, not to mention possible. Little help as to a proper, or better weight, other than the fly weight that Carrera makes their 1/43 cars?

Leave a comment:

• Lloyd.L
    replied
    I always use sidewiders when I can for proxy racing as they can give lower gear ratios and smoother handling.

My RD spur gears are still working well, but I am always looking for replacements!

Regards, Lloyd

Leave a comment:

• Headhunter
    replied
    I tried the sidewinder with no luck too, kept eating up gears, never could find that happy medium. Somebody out there makes a beveled gear. I'm dizzy looking for these parts! Longer shafts shorter pinion, shorter shaft longer pinion 7, 9 tooth, what no 8? This is insane, should be one supplier who makes what we need! My nephew dabbles in the robot world, I'm going to ask him where they are getting their parts, maybe we'll get lucky.

Leave a comment:

• YHR
    replied
    I think of the two cars I sent to Peter, the anglewinder became a basket case and the inline is OK.

I never could find any Bevel gears for a proper angle winder and Peter mentioned the gears ate themselves. I had one here at home do this, so I switched from Brass to Nylon with better success So the execution could have been better.

With the smaller motors I am able to run a proper sidewinder and they are doing OK as there is no angle..

Dslots pinions are quite long so you might want to look for those.

I also look for motors with the longer shaft now, as you can always cut them down but you can't add on.
    Last edited by YHR; 02-19-2016, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Headhunter
    replied
    Originally posted by YHR View Post
    Check eBay. Lots of suppliers in China. These motors have 1mm shafts so you just have to get the right pinion. If you can't find any let me know and I will check my purchase history. A bagful just showed up today.

All these chassis have 2mm bearings as well. Again eBay

Dan

Thanks Dan. Only problem is trying to match up teeth and length of pinion, being that the shafts are shorter than stock Carrera or SCX. Definitely need a longer pinion. I did find one in my stuff, have no idea where it came from, put it on a 9v and popped it in a LMP, and man that car screams. The package says the motor is 24,000rpms, but I think it's putting out more like 32,000 at 14.7v, I have no way of measuring it. If you find any that are long in length, and 8 tooth, let me know. Also, are you finding that sidewinder is performing better than inline(another can of worms)Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X