How to use 6 cars on Carrera 143 digital track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeySlotCars View Post
    Ok all this made me thinking... since you can run 1/43 digital cars on a 1/32 digital track can you do the opposite & run 1/32 digital cars on the 1/43 red box?
    Powering D132 cars with a Redbox is likely asking for disaster. Too much power draw. You may be OK with running one- definitely not three and probably not two- and I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

After reading your message again- you may mean just buying D132 chips and forcing them into 1/43 cars. Yes, you could do that. (Now I think about it- that may not even be a good idea. The D132 chip itself may have more power draw than the Redbox is expecting). D143 cars cost about the same as D132 chips, so I'm not sure why you would want to if you aren't going to use any of the D132 features? Couldn't you buy a D143 car and have an extra car and/or spare parts for the same price?
    Last edited by b.yingling; 04-21-2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YHR View Post
      IF the D143 chips can be programmed on all 6 ID available on the D132 system
      They can.

then this is news that the manufacturer needs to be made aware of.
      Why do you think no one at Carrera knows this? Go ahead and tell them. They aren't interested. D143 was not designed for 6 cars. I'm not sure they want *us* to know, and rightfully so. And not just for marketing reasons. It can lead to very bad ideas like the one above re: D132 cars on a Redbox.
      Last edited by b.yingling; 04-21-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
        Powering D132 cars with a Redbox is likely asking for disaster. Too much power draw. You may be OK with running one- definitely not three and probably not two- and I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

After reading your message again- you may mean just buying D132 chips and forcing them into 1/43 cars. Yes, you could do that. Although D143 cars cost about the same as D132 chips, so I'm not sure why you would want to if you aren't going to use any of the D132 features? Buy a D143 car and have an extra car and/or spare parts for the same price?
        Just to be able to run all the analog cars that I got on a digital system track & around here a 1/43 digital cars is almost expensive as an 1/32 analog cars (~$35-45 each) so a digital chips at $30 each is much cheaper
        Beside some cars are hard to find & I already got them in analog so why buy another one just like it just to have it digitized (I got like 30+ cars)

As for the power draw there is always the option to get a stronger power supply (same voltage but more amps) should do the trick

Anyhow that was just a thought as I am back to analog (from AC2) & was thinking of maybe trying digital?

Mikey
        Last edited by MikeySlotCars; 04-21-2016, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeySlotCars View Post
          As for the power draw there is always the option to get a stronger power supply (same voltage but more amps) should do the trick
          Not the power supply I'd be worried about but the current rating of all the components in the Redbox.

You can probably find an old (used) Black Box pretty cheap. D132/D124 users don't want them, they want to use CUs. If you're just interested in running more than 3 digital cars, that would be the way to go. Your D143 cars would work with it, and you could buy D132 chips for your analog cars. Just be aware that the LEDs aren't the same distance from the centerline on D132 chips and D143 chips. So adjustments must be made.
          Last edited by b.yingling; 04-21-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
            They can.

Why do you think no one at Carrera knows this? Go ahead and tell them. They aren't interested. D143 was not designed for 6 cars. I'm not sure they want *us* to know, and rightfully so. And not just for marketing reasons. It can lead to very bad ideas like the one above re: D132 cars on a Redbox.
            I don't know why Carrera would not want to market this to 143 scale guys. Why even bother going with the 3 car digital in 1/43 scale. Use all the electronics from D132 and repackage them in Go track. That would have seemed to make more sense then to design another set of components. Oh well.

If jump into this I am going with the D132CU and controllers, and I will get a digital go car for the decoders in it. As you mention they are cheaper then a 132 decoder, and you have a car for parts.

Comment

I don't know why Carrera would not want to market this to 143 scale guys. Why even bother going with the 3 car digital in 1/43 scale. Use all the electronics from D132 and repackage them in Go track. That would have seemed to make more sense then to design another set of components.

Well...they didn't design new components. That's why this will work! They used their existing design and protocol, but left some things out in order to be able to repackage it at a 1/43 form factor.

Comment

Well I am going to make the leap into digital. Again I have chosen to do something that is going to make things a little harder but it looks like people have already blazed the trail and I just need to follow the path they started.

I went with Carrera D132 stuff. I will use the Carrara 132 track down the front straight and pit lane. I am hoping I can use the 132 chicane track as a transition piece between the Go track on either end. I will have 1 132 double crossover at the end of the straight and a 1/43 double Crossover just before the 180 curve leading onto the straight.

Bought a small digital set as it seemed the most cost effective thing to do and then bought the extra pieces I need. This will give me two digital 132 cars to mess around with. I will do some creative wiring to allow me to still run analog as well

With the borders i added I always could run 1/32 around my layout so these 132 cars will work fine as I find my way into this digital world.

There a has been a lot of discussion about the merits of digital. As an old schooler my analog set up has provided me with hours of enjoyment, and there are some cars I will never be able to put decoders in so I have no intention of abandoning Analog. The things digital brings to the table though is just to hard to pass up. I need to give it a try.

Comment

I have relatively new 143 slot cars that do not work at all. Any ideas.

Comment

Working...
                  X