crossing over???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crossing over???

Currently I have both 1:32 and HO sets, neither set up permanent, but seems some kind of track(s) is set up somewhere here. The last few days I have about convinced myself to do a complete change and go 1:43 for a couple different reasons. I'm curious - Why/What made you go with 1:43?

I will tell you all why later but I am curious if my reasons are common or even make any sense, but don't want to influence your answers for my justification. No wrong answers of course, I just don't know that I want to make the move if it don't make any sense.

I went to 143 because digital is possible and a huge selection of Diecast cars are available to pull resin castings from.

Since doing this I have also found out that a Nomag chassis is very doable and fun in 143, and you don't have to give up anything with respect to slotting if you choose this scale.

It is a great builders scale, but lacks the availability of RTR cars like HO and 132 has

Cheers

Dan

Comment

First of all I have always been a scale modeller. I had very limited space, so decided on a steep, zigzag, hillclimb in 1/43. The main reason was that there was an almost endless selection of diecast cars to mould from and I have not been dissapointed!

The hillclimb grew like topsy, and so did my selection of moulds.

I chose 1/43 because I prefer to make my own cars from scratch. If this had not been the case I would certainly have settled for 1/32 scale.

Regards, Lloyd.

Comment

Good input, appreciate it. I am also am pressed for space so 1:43 would give me an advantage there; however we also like O scale Trains which run from 1:43 - 1:55 and 1:43 Slots would compliment the Train layout good - I think. Does that sound like good reasoning?

Comment

Hi epowr
          Sounds like good reasons for your choice.
          There are reasons for and against all scales, think about which are important to you.
          For example if you've got space for 1:43, the fact that HO is smaller doesn't matter to you.
          For example if you've no interest in organized racing then the rather limited number of places that have organised racing in 1:43 doesn't matter to you. Similarly the higher performace available in other scales may be of no consequence to you if you are not interested in competitive racing.

Comment

I like all three for different reasons. I think I understand that I can run 143 on 132 track - correct? If so I may dabble in both and see if I later decide to invest in a 143 set.

Can I run 143 on 132 track?

My 132 track is an SCX analog, which, if I am reading things correctly I can buy one piece and make it digital, do I need to do that?

Can I just buy a digital 143 and run on a 132 analog track?

Comment

If you understand basic electronics and can run a soldering iron, everything is possible. Yes 1/43 scale cars can run on 132 track.

If I had to do it again I would use 132 track

When deciding on digital it is important to understand that there are no standards and therefor very hard to make generalized comments about what you can or cannot do. It will depend on what you buy.

Shop around. Be careful of buying into a system that has been a market failure. There are only two that are supported I believe . Carrera and Scalextrics. The rest of the brands available, are unsold old stock.

If I am wrong on this, someone please correct me, as that is my perception at the moment.

Merry Christmas

Dan

Comment

IF you understand basic electronics everything is possible with 1.43 but what make you happy This is my simply track. I it put down on a wood table in my basement . https://youtu.be/tMRxzIhAg3c
                Last edited by OL Mike; 12-25-2016, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YHR View Post
                  If you understand basic electronics and can run a soldering iron, everything is possible. Yes 1/43 scale cars can run on 132 track.

When deciding on digital it is important to understand that there are no standards and therefor very hard to make generalized comments about what you can or cannot do. It will depend on what you buy.

Shop around. Be careful of buying into a system that has been a market failure. There are only two that are supported I believe . Carrera and Scalextrics. The rest of the brands available, are unsold old stock.

If I am wrong on this, someone please correct me, as that is my perception at the moment.

Merry Christmas

Dan

Why would you go with 132 track vs 143? I was figuring to go with Carreras, it just seems most popular and available. I can run a soldiering iron pretty good, but the whole analog, digital, one works with this and one works with that - honestly I can't seem to get my head wrapped around it for some reason. One day something g weird will happen and BOOM I'll get it all at once.

Originally posted by OL Mike View Post
                  IF you understand basic electronics everything is possible with 1.43 but what make you happy This is my simply track. I it put down on a wood table in my basement . https://youtu.be/tMRxzIhAg3c

Nice layout, we don't get basements here in OK, room for a track of any kind is precious.

Comment

GO track is narrow and there is no room for any drifting once you go magless. It is also nice to have the option of using your track to test 132 cars if you want to get involved in 132 proxy racing. I added Inside and outside borders, and it would have been just easier to use Ninco 132 track.

Cheers Dan
                    Last edited by YHR; 12-27-2016, 08:43 AM. Reason: Mysterious paste from another post was inserted

Comment

why 1/43rd? got it as a present in 2001. stayed there
                      in the meantime, there are over 120 cars and a big woodtrack.
                      why i stayed? i liked the size of the cars and the size of the track.
                      many different track pieces available from Artin for fun tracks and from carrera you can get R1-R2-R3 and curved R1-R2. So it is possible to build some nice track. If you want to go no-magnet, you will need to build aprons by yourself.
                      on my wood track, i used the track dimensions from go track plus 2" for the outside aprons.
                      I saw many 1/32nd that look great, but i would never go that scale.
                      Peter

Comment

Originally posted by epowr View Post
                        Why/What made you go with 1:43?
                        Why: space (56' of track on a 4x8 aspenite sheet) with solid cars for kids and easy access for used track stuff; got 80' of tracks + cars + power supplies for 80$CAN from a Carrera club clearance in 2010 and found all the rest (tracks...) on local ads.

What: Analog to D143 to D132 on the same space layout with all the features.

Off-Topic: But basically, I am running 1/24 at local race wood track since 2008.
                        After running a lot of HO in the early '80s, my first taste of coming back to slot cars has been with a basic 1/24 Champion body/Parma motor.

Still love the driving experience of 1/24 wood.
                        1/32? Not really. My friend has already a D132 track and that's ok.

Have a nice day.
                        PL

Comment

Originally posted by YHR View Post

Merry Christmas

Dan
                          We haven't done anything yet, but I am pretty certain I will crossover to 1:43. I guess I need to decide who to go with then Carrera or Scalextrics. Carrera seems to most available around here, but it's not easy to find many stores carrying a good election of Slots anymore; I can find a couple of popular sets here and there, but a good car and parts store - hard to find.

Comment

Kid Connection Road Racing Play Set wall mart on sale 11 bucks i bought 5 sets OL Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X