Wingmaster Sprint Mark 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingmaster Sprint Mark 2

I debated whether to post this in the HO slotcar forum or the 1/43rd. But since these models are supposed to be 1/50th scale, I decided to post here. Just the same, there are quite a few HO tracks with a wide enough lane spacing that you can race them.

A couple of years ago I came across a brand of die-cast sprint car models, made by GMP (Georgia Marketing and Promotions) and my first thought was, "I bet I could motorize these!"

So I did. I asked for help online coming up with a name for my cars. "Wingmaster Sprint" was the winner. The guy who suggested the name got the first production car as a prize.

The Wingmasters were popular. But I ran out of motors and could not buy any more except for far too much money on eBay. On top of that the die-cast models went out of production too. Fortunately they are still available on eBay, and often for sensible prices.

On the off chance I could make more Wingmasters in future, I've lurked on eBay, snatching up bodies when they were available at a decent price. I have about 40 in inventory now.

Just the other day I found a new motor that is small enough, but powerful enough, to drive a Wingmaster. It is an N20 can motor, about 3.5 ohms, with rare-earth magnets and carbon brushes -- basically a miniature slot car motor. I fit one into a Wingmaster and, yes, it is every bit as powerful as the original motor, only about half the size. It doesn't even break a sweat running on 12 volts, or even 18. Barely heats up at all.

So now I am gearing up to make another run of Wingmaster Sprints. The folks who bought ones from me originally have been begging for more, so I should have no trouble selling them.

I have pasted in a YouTube video showing my prototype in detail and in action. Enjoy!

Ed Bianchi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ0H47Jt5Ak
    Last edited by HO RacePro; 12-31-2016, 05:01 PM. Reason: More detail.

I have run the original Wingmaster Sprints a number of times, they look great and are a blast to drive. They even fit on my MaxTrax, which has wider spacing and shoulders than regular HO tracks.

Last edited by RichD; 01-01-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Ed, are you going to announce availability here?

Scott

Comment

Yes! Watch this space...
        Ed Bianchi

Comment

Most Excellent, Ed!...

Thanks for the video...

John

Comment

those are great looking cars, Ed!
            have you got info on the motor, where to buy those?
            what gears are you using in those?
            Peter

Comment

Turning the Crank...

I ordered, and have received, the parts I need to make 50 Wingmaster chassis. I've assembled 16 chassis this afternoon. I've gotten the assembly process dialed in now, so the remaining chassis should go faster.

I still need to order crown and pinion gears. I have everything else I need to build 50 running chassis in inventory. And about 40 of the diecast bodies.

Stay tuned...

Ed Bianchi

Comment

I have managed to purchase 4 of your originals on the second hand market. 2 off ebay and two from Mike at the Midwest Slot show.

I'd definitely like to get at the very least one of the newer versions.

Comment

Those N20 motors have a lot more power than you would expect. I have one in my HO Landshark gravity car and I have to choke back on it to make the car drivable. I got some motors directly from China, but the link to them has gone dead. Lucky Bob's had these motors, but they are out of stock. I thought I had bookmarked another link, but I can't find it now.
                  Lifelike T car pinion gears will fit these motors.

Comment

Working...
                  X