Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switch from HO to 143? What made you do it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch from HO to 143? What made you do it?

I'm nuts for thinking this, but I am considering making the switch. I have an AFX set on a table in the basement, it's more of a toy for my girls. Their interest comes and goes, mostly comes when they have friends over and it's a huge novelty to their friends.

It's a newer set with the tri-power pack, my girls are 5 and 7. Right now they use the Beginner setting, which allows them to hold the trigger full blast and the cars whip around without issue. They don't understand throttle control, and I find even on the Intermediate setting the cars go too fast for much reaction time to get full throttle on the "longest" straight, and back off in time for the turn and not wreck. So typically even I just end up holding the trigger in around 2/3 at this setting trying to get as much as I can on the straights, but rarely pulling full in.

We have a local toy store that has a huge selection of Carrera, and a few sets setup for customers to play with. I find the Carrera Go! cars go slower than the AFX Mega-G cars. They do require throttle control, but because these cars seem to move slower, it's easier to anticipate.

Though going to Carrera means I'd have to sell the AFX set, which then will take some explanation to the wife! Just would hate making the switch and end up regretting it, but at the same time, I don't feel the AFX set is a good fit for my kids given how random they use it.

The other thought is maintenance. Even though the set is not used regularly, the pickup shoes on the HO cars need regular replacement. I feel the braids used on the Carrera sets would last longer, thus reducing the need to keep much of a stash of replacement parts on hand to keep them running.

Another draw back though is the size of the track. I'd need to make my table bigger, it's currently a "hollow door" sized 3' x 6'6".

Just would like to hear from those who made the switch.

Wow... tough crowd.

Comment

Maybe you are the first one here to switch from H0 to 43rd ?

Roland

Comment

I would be floored if that was the case. I would think if somebody was into HO and wanted to go digital but had space restrictions, 1/43 would be the way to go.

Though I recognize I am asking about 1/43 analog vs. digital.

Comment

Well, I have no space restrictions at all, nevertheless switched to 43rd scale.
          But from 32nd / 24th.
          And not for going digital.

Roland

Comment

Originally posted by Wood0209 View Post
            I would be floored if that was the case. I would think if somebody was into HO and wanted to go digital but had space restrictions, 1/43 would be the way to go.

Though I recognize I am asking about 1/43 analog vs. digital.
            OL Mike Im analog Analog is fun 1/43 that the life for me fun my grandkids love my builds dont make me go postal or bring out the big guns that my 2 cents OL Mike

Comment

Ol Mike,

I've seen some of the videos you have posted in doing my various searches, you have some very creative stuff there! Is the spider from one of those RC spiders? Looks very close to one my daughter has.

I am curious, just how easy is it to make a 1-43 car? I ask because my kids have these Mario Kart cars that are 1/43 scale (stamped on the bottom), and they are the type of cars you pull back and release. My basic unknowable logic tells me all I'd need to do is add a pin, open it up, remove the current guts, install a motor and possibly swap out the wheels in order to get gearing to the rear wheels.

I know Carrera makes Mario Kart, but it seems the likes of Princess Peach are older releases, no longer available in stores.

Good news is, my wife didn't contest my idea to swap out my sets, probably helps I have the Christmas gift from my boss still sitting in my wallet. Just need to decide what sort of set I want to get, either Disney Cars, Mario Kart, or something with actual race cars (not F-1 cars though). Tempted to get a set of my choosing, and allow the girls to each choose a car of their own as the chances of getting them to agree on what type of set would be slim to none.

The only reason I'd ever consider upgrading to digital is so that all three of us could race together. Though I also understand that requires some modifications to get the Go! cars digitized.

Comment

Ol Mike,

I've seen some of the videos you have posted in doing my various searches, you have some very creative stuff there! Is the spider from one of those RC spiders? Looks very close to one my daughter has.

I am curious, just how easy is it to make a 1-43 car? I ask because my kids have these Mario Kart cars that are 1/43 scale (stamped on the bottom), and they are the type of cars you pull back and release. My basic unknowable logic tells me all I'd need to do is add a pin, open it up, remove the current guts, install a motor and possibly swap out the wheels in order to get gearing to the rear wheels.

I know Carrera makes Mario Kart, but it seems the likes of Princess Peach are older releases, no longer available in stores.

Good news is, my wife didn't contest my idea to swap out my sets, probably helps I have the Christmas gift from my boss still sitting in my wallet. Just need to decide what sort of set I want to get, either Disney Cars, Mario Kart, or something with actual race cars (not F-1 cars though). Tempted to get a set of my choosing, and allow the girls to each choose a car of their own as the chances of getting them to agree on what type of set would be slim to none.

The only reason I'd ever consider upgrading to digital is so that all three of us could race together. Though I also understand that requires some modifications to get the Go! cars digitized.
                Thank you you can still fine alot Things on eBay I would be more Glad to show you it just takes time OL Mike the spider was made from ; Halloween deck core move
                Last edited by OL Mike; 01-15-2017, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Hi Wood,surprised that you haven't received more answers on your questions here.
                  The other thought is maintenance. Even though the set is not used regularly, the pickup shoes on the HO cars need regular replacement. I feel the braids used on the Carrera sets would last longer, thus reducing the need to keep much of a stash of replacement parts on hand to keep them running
                  The Carrera GO run well as intended,little maintenance compared to HO.The braids are tuff and the track just needs a wipe down ever so often.No worry about the rails having to be cleaned often. The braids are easy to replace also.No springs and such.You will find that even the loops are fun for kids,big and little..A lot of the guys here are scratch builders of the finest kind and will be able to steer you in the right direction if you decide to later go that route.The Carrera GO controllers come with some red clips that can be used to slow down the cars so that they don't de-slot as much.The clips limit the travel of the plunger.The cars are slower then AFX,still fast though.They are made tuff,in a sense made for younger drivers.You could start out with a decent size set and see how you like it.You can get a lot of fun onto a hollow core door.
                  Having said that ,we enjoy all types of Slot car racing.HO,1/43 and 1/32.They all have their pluses and negatives.Later on you may decide to go with a adjustable power supply which will allow you to run any type of 1/43 scale cars on your layout.

Have fun..
                  Rusty H

Comment

Originally posted by OL Mike View Post
                    Thank you you can still fine alot Things on eBay I would be more Glad to show you it just takes time OL Mike the spider was made from ; Halloween deck core move
                    Oh yes, always know things can be found on the interweb, but being in Canada, most of these items are located in the US, which results in higher prices due to currency exchange, duty and taxes paid on import, and shipping costs. This is in part one other reason I'm looking to switch to Carrera, as we have a very large play store in the area that has a huge selection of Carrera products, whereas the local hobby shop that sells AFX has just enough (ie 3 sets and a couple pieces of track) in stock just to show they carry it.

Originally posted by ourwayband View Post
                    Hi Wood,surprised that you haven't received more answers on your questions here.
                    The Carrera GO run well as intended,little maintenance compared to HO.The braids are tuff and the track just needs a wipe down ever so often.No worry about the rails having to be cleaned often. The braids are easy to replace also.No springs and such.You will find that even the loops are fun for kids,big and little..A lot of the guys here are scratch builders of the finest kind and will be able to steer you in the right direction if you decide to later go that route.The Carrera GO controllers come with some red clips that can be used to slow down the cars so that they don't de-slot as much.The clips limit the travel of the plunger.The cars are slower then AFX,still fast though.They are made tuff,in a sense made for younger drivers.You could start out with a decent size set and see how you like it.You can get a lot of fun onto a hollow core door.
                    Having said that ,we enjoy all types of Slot car racing.HO,1/43 and 1/32.They all have their pluses and negatives.Later on you may decide to go with a adjustable power supply which will allow you to run any type of 1/43 scale cars on your layout.

Have fun..
                    Rusty H
                    Thanks for the feedback. The more I consider it the more I think Go! is the way to go. Often times I'll be at work or something, and the kids want to use the slot cars when a friend is over, which is fine, but don't get into it because the cars are not running smoothly, etc.

Right now I am looking at one of the "bigger" Go! sets I can get locally, but am taking a close look as to the track pieces included to ensure I can configure it into something that will actually fit on the table.

Comment

One can get just about as much Go track as they can AFX onto the same space.
                      Here are a couple pictures of past layouts that were built on doors or that type of space.Most are longer then just one door but may give you an idea what can be done.Needless to say more track could have been squeezed in if desired.
                      Rusty

Comment

This is my current situation. The green area is the size of my table, the track layout is the standard layout with the Carrera Go! Photo Finish set.

I simply did the track layout to ensure that I entered the inventory for the correct type of track pieces as Carrera's manual doesn't give details for the track pieces. I actually had to create a new track piece in my Ultimate Racer as the software didn't have one of the straights that comes with the straight as an option.

So now it will be a matter of seeing what sort of layout I can come up with using this set. I didn't want to jump into getting the set and then experience frustration trying to get a layout made to fit the table.

Comment

Still available. I ordered Peach Royal 61123 from California (still available on their website, don't want to name the dealer) before Christmas and digital Peach 41321 from ebay (no more available on their website, but still available in Germany from this morning search) before Christmas too; (you can pm me for the details)

Peach Royal run's good (stable.- not too lightweight, fast) on analog but I won't be able to put a D143 chip inside. I keep digital Peach for my daughter' birthday later this year.

Note: for your question HO to 1/43... Well, I played a lot, (a lot...) of HO in the early '80 as a kid and I simply wanted to turn the page in 2010. Yes, the HO system was not perfect but I don't want to get into that this morning because HO has been my first flavor into slot car, and 30 years later, I still respect that.

Comment

My story with HO goes like this. We had an AFX set in the 80's/90's as kids, like many things in life, as we got older it went by the wayside, nobody knows what actually happened with the set (somehow our Lego stuck around and I've now given it to our kids, but the slot cars, missing).

So some 5 years ago or so I took my oldest daughter on a bus ride (she really wanted to ride a city bus, she was 2-3 at the time). I took her to the nearest Toys R Us store with the plan to allow her to pick out a toy. She surprised me and showed interest in a slot car set, the Mattel Disney Cars London Raceway, so I bit the bait and opted to spend more than I normally would have that day. I was disappointed when I found it was battery powered. A couple years ago I really wanted to get away from batteries as whenever she wanted to play it I needed to go buy some new ones. So that came to me going with an AFX set.

And now I am here today, a few years with the AFX set, and it hasn't really been all that "toy friendly" for the kids.

We've tasted the bigger scales Carrera has to offer at our local toy store, and when I tested the 1/43 set they have on display, I found it just felt better, slower, but the cars didn't stay glued to the track or zip around at speeds you couldn't see!

So that was a bit more long winded than intended.

As for those cars, those are the exact two cars my kids have as the pull-back and release cars. Again, I know with some searching I could find them online (actually didn't see the version you have boxed in the picture) as being available. So that's good to know.

Comment

I was disappointed when I found it was battery powered. A couple years ago I really wanted to get away from batteries as whenever she wanted to play it I needed to go buy some new ones.
                              Same vision here.

Comment

Working...
                              X