Track call buttons wired directly to the CU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track call buttons wired directly to the CU

I know that with 3rd party race software, this has already been accomplished.

What I'm wanting to look into is actual CU modification, so that the CU would have a female USB port, which to plug in a track call button system.

I've read about this and I'm considering taking on...but wanted to see if anyone here had attempted?

Just curious...why USB? The CU itself has no built in facility for reading input from a USB device, so were you planning on an Arduino/Raspberry board of some type?

Comment

http://www.slotrace-tec.de/control-u...ng-in-ovp-neu/

no USB female but a simple 2 pin audio female.

Comment

Originally posted by UDoKuoio View Post
        http://www.slotrace-tec.de/control-u...ng-in-ovp-neu/

no USB female but a simple 2 pin audio female.
        This may be the way to go; however, for my application, I would need foot pedals (and already have some). The issue I see is if providing my own, I don't believe they have inline ability.

Is this solution just for the kit to install to a customers current CU? So, not quite $60 for instructions and 1 button?

Comment

(I reply at your PM .. delete it. now I remember the topic

the jack/female are standard 3.5mm MONO

$60 are for 1 modified CU + 1 button.

However.. modifying the CU is quite easy. After purchasing that CU, I bought another one, modded by me and also modded the button box in order to have a female also for the controller.
          (now I make my own buttons)

Check here (translate from italian to English)
          http://www.tuttoslot.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20785

Comment

Looks like a simple hack on the start button. Run two wires from the start button connection point to extend out to as many switches as you like. Wire in parallel. It does not matter if it's a button or a foot switch as long as it is a NO switch.
            Seems too easy.

Comment

The wired controller extension connected to the track call button is a pretty nice add on too.

Comment

Yes. For my club it's a need. No more tangled wires (we hate wireless).
                It tooks a bit of work: create a squared hole, soldering 6 little wires (2 un-necessary), find a CHEAP crimper for the MMJ6 plug, find the MMJ6 female.. ... but it worth every hour spent to build them.

Comment

Yes. For my club it's a need. No more tangled wires (we hate wireless).
                  It tooks a bit of work: create a squared hole, soldering 6 little wires (2 un-necessary), find a CHEAP crimper for the MMJ6 plug, find the MMJ6 female.. ... but it worth every hour spent to build them.
                  What is it that you hate about Wireless?

Comment

For home use, they're useful, no doubt...

...but, since we race in a club with a quite big track and enough space for each driver location, wireless controllers are useless for us.
                    Furthermore, our controllers (Truspeed DII) give us a great feeling .. no way to drop them for a different controller..wireless or not.

However wireless controller are (respect of the wired one):
                    1) heavy
                    2) expensive
                    3) slower in response (not that much)

Comment

For home use, they're useful, no doubt...

...but, since we race in a club with a quite big track and enough space for each driver location, wireless controllers are useless for us.
                      Furthermore, our controllers (Truspeed DII) give us a great feeling .. no way to drop them for a different controller..wireless or not.

However wireless controller are (respect of the wired one):
                      1) heavy
                      2) expensive
                      3) slower in response (not that much)
                      Understood, I was just curious.

For the 2 home tracks I race on (1 wood 1/24 flexi cars w/lexan bodies and the other D132 Carrera, obviously) my Frankenslot Speedflow wireless controller is much, much lighter than my DiFalco DR30.

With the wood track, wireless is not neccessary. For home use, there's no way I would consider a wired controller.

Good feedback

Comment

I have my track call buttons wired into each controller, everyone is their own marshal!

Comment

Originally posted by Headhunter View Post
                          I have my track call buttons wired into each controller, everyone is their own marshal!
                          I thought about doing this and may still but that would effectively make wireless controllers "wired".

Comment

Originally posted by Headhunter View Post
                            This is THE solution (Scalextric Digital has it by default where Carrera hasn't).
                            I though about it but i'm worry about people that coming with their own standard controller.

Did you add wire (and button) at each controller?
                            Did you hack the controller (i.e. replace brake button behaviour)?

Comment

While on controller would be cool, a string of buttons on the perimeter or at designated driver positions (if one does that) would be a strong plan B

Comment

Working...
                              X