Scalextric problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalextric problems

We have Scalextric 6 car power base. The factory controllers have dead spots. The track was flat the day before the next day it worked. One car the chip goes haywire one. And some keep breaking lead wires. Chassis have broke on them. Ran by me and my boys. Older or grown. Not young kids. Ready to give up on Scalextric. Is Carrara any better. I donít mind doing some work but something is always wrong with someoneís car or controller.

Originally posted by kt944 View Post
    We have Scalextric 6 car power base.
    Which one? There are now three completely different Scalextric Digital 6 car bases.

The factory controllers have dead spots.
    Knowing which base will help me know which type of controllers, but have you ever opened them up and cleaned the sliding resistor?

The track was flat the day before the next day it worked.
    I don't understand what you mean by this.

One car the chip goes haywire one.
    When does it happen? How often per race/lap? Do you have any idea what kind of chip is installed in the car? Feel free to attach a photo of the problematic car with the body off so that we can see the specific chip in use.

And some keep breaking lead wires.
    That's not uncommon, but it shouldn't be happening over and over. What do you do when you repair them?

Chassis have broke on them.
    Chassis don't just break on their own. If the chassis is breaking, that means they are crashing HARD, regularly, into hard objects.

Ran by me and my boys. Older or grown. Not young kids.
    As such, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not intentionally going into turns at full speed, but that those crashes are happening with the car that has the chip that goes haywire.

Ready to give up on Scalextric. Is Carrara any better. I donít mind doing some work but something is always wrong with someoneís car or controller.
    Got any video of your racing? That could help a lot with diagnosing problems.

Comment

I used to break chassis when I ran magnets. !00% power and the amount of torque placed upon the guide is often too much for the chassis and it broke there on several occasions. Certain cars more than others. Perhaps 4 Lambos, one, porsche, and two ford GT chassis.

Now I run magless at 75% power and have never broken another.

Comment

We race primarily with magnets. Have only broken 1 chassis in all the years on a Scaley car. As for lead wires, have had 2 Scaley cars with issues but I find that Slot.It is most problematic for me with leads.

Comment

We have the C7042 powerbase and C7002 controllers. We have calibrated them before. And actually I found the other thing that cuts down on lag and they seem to run better. We run magnets. Usually full power. I’m not sure we like the sliding around a lot. I was thinking of getting better tires. If we take the magnet out and put better tires does it handle the same or just slide less without the magnet. I have tried to clean the controllers but their seems to be spots where they don’t make contact. And I have moved the spring on mine like one of the members posted. It’s the Ferrari 430 race car. That has the bad chip. Or I thought it did. I changed chips and it still speeds up on its own.

Comment

cleaning the digital controller inside with electronic cleaner works wonders
            without moving the spring

have never broken any brand of chassis except cox a few decades ago
            but flimsy toys like scaly vintage f1s lose parts frequently and bend axles so avoid the bike motor
            try padding the sides of your track

scaly digital cars will run away if 2 piece guide is not properly assembled
            besides the problem of early models dpr chips

here use less mags than analog for digital with silicone tires
            no mag with silicones will usually slide more than strong mag with stock tires

Comment

Thanks for the info gorp.

Comment

Working...
              X