X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic All Digital!

All Digital!

I plan to explore the digital world by putting up digital racetracks from all mfg. in my slot raceway. I have some knowledge of slot cars and will provide observations and request constructive comments from interested parties.

I thank SCI & Alan Smith for this opportunity and credit Alan's promotional abilities to help keep my eye on 1/32 home set goods.

Here are links to mfg. of digital systems.

www.scx-cars.co.uk/digital.php4 &
    www.scxdigitalsystem.com/ (this has a great video clip explaining the new digital system - its no wonder these sets are selling quite well!)

Carrera
    www.carrera-toys.de/3018.0.html?&L=1

Scalextric
    www.scalextric-usa.com/sc...igital.asp

Ninco plans their release in 2005.
    www.ninco.com/index2.php (check their news releases available in PDF)

All products I've used are great fun but we hope the mfg. put it into high gear with availability of accessories.

I had the Carrera Evolution PRO-X 30100 circuit set up for about 1 week. It was used and abused for a 1 day 1 year anniversary event and 4 cars wound up with broke guides in about 5 hours of relatively unsupervised use. We were able to fix 2 guides with JB weld as they were just cracked (seriously) but it was a real downside. The European direction of travel (clockwise) for a Stock Car set is a bit odd. The nicely detailed cars are a delight to watch and race but the #99 car is noticeably faster than the #7 car. (Cars weigh 114 grams). The 4x13' banked oval is a good layout to become acquainted with a new system. Although the set is currently back in the box it will be resurrected very soon :o

I've had the Scalextric Sport Digital "Lane Change Challenge" C1140T set up for about 10 days. The Power Base has 7 programmable race formats with LCD display. This feature sells me big time One should never tire of the many racing options available. The light (70 grams) & the fast Porsche Boxsters have been indestructible. The box shows a 7.5 x7.5' layout but I have it set up in a truer figure 8 @ 4 x 9.5'. This product is so good that other mfg. will sell just because :rollin . I'm featuring a free trial run and .50 qualifying runs for Cruzin' Bucks.

I just viewed the SCX web site and it sold me :eek I suggest other mfg. get on the stick with upgrades to their web sites. The SCX digital presentation is very nice and I'm all for better promotional capabilities. Although I sold SCX 10+ years ago I was never too excited about it even though it is compatible with Scalextric Classic. At that time the cars were not a happenin' thing >D What additionally helps sell me on SCX is their scale lap counter, double crossover sections & 3 car race set.

I'm looking forward to NINCO digital, which is sure to match the competition, and may surprise us

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Nope. You can program the system to add a lap when the car goes through the pits, if needed.

Welcome to the wonderful world of digital slot car racing!

Leave a comment:

• Spraydude
    replied
    hey guys. newbi here. not really sure how to post here. so if I do it wrong just yell at me... anyway I am putting up all digital Carrera 1/32 track. large layout and will be perminate in my basement. my question is. where I have to put the start finish line I plan to put the pit lane. does it matter if the pit lane is behind the SF. line. even with the SF line. or past the start finish line? thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• MT Tam I am
    replied
    I found this thread this morning and have now read the entire thing. Hard to believe I could miss something so prominent.

Over the years I have had several digital layouts and decided two lanes is best. 4 lanes while visually interesting, was too easy to pass upon.

I narrowed my search into two camps when deciding upon digital, Carerra and Scalextric. Both would have been good choices, as they are both still supporting their product, but I am glad I chose Scalextric. Originally based upon the more narrow gauge. Their cars and other brands are so easy to convert to SSD. The handful of Carerra cars I've dealt with have all been pains in the posterior.

I run a 96' track without constant problems. Problems are usually just the braids needing adjustment.

Hooray digital.

Leave a comment:

• arizona_lew
    replied
    Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
    Ooooooooh Lew, why did you have to open this can of worms again... Don't be dissin the analog folks and they will leave us alone....

Dave
    Yeah you are right. I removed the last sentence.

Leave a comment:

• dw5555
    replied
    Ooooooooh Lew, why did you have to open this can of worms again... Don't be dissin the analog folks and they will leave us alone....

Dave

Leave a comment:

• arizona_lew
    replied
    Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
    ...... I like how you've used extra lanes to intentionally reduce congestion. I LIKE the congestion, but I can definitely see the benefit when the other 5 people would prefer to be in their own lane.

I agree! I run a 2 lane Carrera track with at times 5 people racing at the same time. We have become very talented in understanding that if you fall off the track it hurts your track times and laps. This seems to be the same thing that happens in real live everyday Nascar racing etc.

(Sorry I just had to bump this thread as it is interesting)
    Last edited by arizona_lew; 10-21-2015, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Good idea on the yellow card rule. We used poker chips, but primarily for crashing as opposed to contact. The hard part is that most people are watching their own car, and it can be hard to admit, or sometimes to even know who's at fault for a collision.

I like how you've used extra lanes to intentionally reduce congestion. I LIKE the congestion, but I can definitely see the benefit when the other 5 people would prefer to be in their own lane.

Leave a comment:

• Watsy Weirdbeat
    replied
    An interesting thread. I've enjoyed hearing about the other race systems I run an SSD system myself, it has never given any problems except for a few bad chips.
    On the subject of six cars on two lanes it can be a bit intense on a small track. We have a 12x4ft board space and found adding just one extra lane to part of the track eased up the congestion. To avoid crash and bash we instigated a yellow card system to deal with aggressive and purposeful crash causing. It is really a non contact sport after all so three yellows and your out the race. It has helped calm down the speeders and taught folks to pay attention leading to much more enjoyable digital races.

Leave a comment:

• Deodato Souza
    replied
    Is car 2 always the same? What you tell us seems to me indicative of a problem in the car, not in the track or system. Maybe a short circuit, from the guideshoe leads (seen more often that one would expect) forward.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    All sets will have issues here and there. All issues can be overcome. It's just a matter of solving them, and only people who really enjoy the system will spend time ironing everything out.

Leave a comment:

• chrisrzz1012
    replied
    I'm going to be a SSD man. Had a analog Carrera and Ninco set I had issues with the both. I'll be using what I first thought was the best at first - Scalextric. You can't go wrong with them.

Leave a comment:

• john10
    replied
    Great review!! I'm very happy to hear that your cars are the same speed. When I first tried the Camera Digital it was at the Hobby visions show in Vegas. The #99 car was faster than the 2 other different cars they were using and it was disturbing. When I got my sets and put the set up in my store I noticed the same characteristics. Then I had a motor quit in one of the cars (think it was the #7) and when I took it apart I found that the motor brushes were 90 degrees off and it was a problem because the brushes were nicely preradiused, meaning the commutator was riding on 2 ridges for each brush. Also, I noticed the #99 car is a "new" release and I (w/o research) believe they may have installed a corrected motor in the newer car(s..)

Leave a comment:

• Dave-co
    replied
    Does anybody have a Artin Digipro start track, the one that the controls go into they might sell?

Leave a comment:

• cruzinbob
    replied
    Originally posted by jmswms View Post
    Bob, have you thought of doing a digital wood track--just dropping the digital pieces into a routed wood track?
    Yes, we've talked about this and I would love to but as I've said, I don't utilize a lot of patience when doing wood routed. Slam-Bam, Let's Race! I do a wood track so quick it amazes most folks

One day, when I've hooked up with a CNC machine and know the digital components much better, we'll be on that...RIDIN' THAT SLOT HAAAARRRD

Leave a comment:

Working...
X