X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quicktap
    started a topic Chipping a Racer DP for Carrera. Video added

Chipping a Racer DP for Carrera. Video added

I finally got up the courage and did it and I thought I would share it with anyone who thought about doing one and was hesitant. It was really not bad, Kinda easy and I have step by step pictures, I hope this helps.

THis Is the prototype I Chipped.

I used Chip #26732

Remove the two body screws as shown.

THis is what you have when the body is off.

Here is the shot of the interior that will have to be removed.

Cut the plastic tabs hat adhere the interior to the body, I used my X-acto knife as shown.

This is what you will end up with after the interior is removed.

The bottom of the interior that will need to be cut away. The next picture you will see where.

Here is where you need to cut, Again I used my knife to make the cuts.

This is what I ended up with after I made the cuts.

Another shot at the cut in the interior.

This is the Craft adhesive that I used to glue the Driver and the interior back into place.

Apply some of the adhesive to the back of the driver like shown.

Place driver back into the interior, the adhesive will hold him in place while it dries.

Picture of the chip.

A mock up of chip placement, This is where I got my drill locations for the LED and the switch.

Here are the holes I drilled for the switch and the LED in the chassis.

Here I checked to see how my alignment was with the LED and switch.

This is where I glued the interior back into the chassis, Make sure you glue all three points and that the interior holes line up with the tabs on the body.

Here are a few Pictures of the interor installed and the inside you can see the cut out to make room for the chip.

This is where I cut the Light wires off because there are no lights on he DP's and they would take up to much room.

This is what you end up with.

I also cut off the plugs on the chip wires I am going to use. and you end up with jus a chip with the braid wires and the motor wires.

Then you will need to cut the wires in the chassis running from the braids to the motor like so.

This is the Doublesided tape I used to secure the Chip in its final resting place.

Here is the chip in the chassis ready to be wired up.

The LED and the switch seen through the bottom of the chassis.

I used the heat shrink wrap tubes to help secure the connections of the wires.

I twisted the wires together and tested the car on my track just to be sure it was wired correctly before I added a little solder.

This is where I added solder to the connections and then I slid the heat wrap tubes over the connections and used the solder iron to shrink them around the connections.

Here are some pictures of the final product The modifications to the interior are hardly noticable. I hope this helps anyone looking to chip these cars.

Last edited by Quicktap; 03-27-2010, 08:58 AM.

• H.O.Tyco1971
    replied
    Nice car, and mod

Leave a comment:

• ansley
    replied
    Originally posted by WSJONES View Post
    Will the car now change lanes on a 1/24 carrera digital track?
    I didn't do this car, but I've chipped close to a dozen cars for Carrera digital, some with lights. They ALL work very well. Here a list of some cars I chipped:

Autoart 1/24 4wd subaru w/lights
    Autoart 1/24 4wd ford focus w/lights
    I added some magnents to those two, the run pretty good, the 4Wd is interesting...

Fly Panoz? (front engine with long axle, I managed to get the chip under the axle, I think I did the same for the 4WD cars above).
    The Fly is very fast, runs great! I added some mags to it and it makes a VERY fast ghost car, and I like driving it too!

2 classic model Carrera Evolution cars, a Yellow Mustang and a Black Camaro! I didn't put lights in, but could, and they run good. I had to trim the interior on the Camero( I think on one of the AutoArt and Fly cars too!). The Mustang is VERY quiet and fast, one of my best cars.

Carrera Go! NASCAR- Chipped this 1/43 car with digital 132 chip. It runs GREAT, very fast, makes the best ghost car ever. Has full functions now. I run other D143 cars on my track, my kids like driving them, they are fast. They don't feature fueling/setting speeds/ghost car like the D132 chips though. They change lanes fine, once in a while they miss one.

3 Scalextric Analog cars - Older Ferrari, older Lamborghini, and a NASCAR. The NASCAR is once again fast, and a GREAT ghost car with an extrat magnet. The other two are a bit slow and sloppy, but actually quite fun to run against each other.

I have at least one more chip right now, I have it reserved to put in a brand new Analog SCX Nascar that I bought dirt cheap. It's a great looking car, looking forward to it. I've also heard that SCX 1/43 scale cars chip real well with Digital 132. I may have to try them as well!

Regards,
    Ted

Leave a comment:

• anthonyalonso
    replied
    So you took out the stiffener "T" bar out of the chassis(under the chip) Are you sure you want to remove that stiffener??
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• Quicktap
    replied
    Yes, it changes lanes, The d132 and the D124 track are the same..

Leave a comment:

• WSJONES
    replied
    Will the car now change lanes on a 1/24 carrera digital track?

Leave a comment:

• RobotWorkshop
    replied
    Does that car have a spot in the front for headlights? If so you can easily add them by installing a couple white LED's. That digital decoder board you installed already has the drivers needed for them. Just a couple LED's and some wire and you've got front lights. Same goes for the back except you need a pair of RED ones.

Robert

Leave a comment:

• Quicktap
    replied
    any car an be a ghost car if you chip it. all cars need to have a carrera chip to run on a digital layout. and I think you can have up to 7 ghost cars

Leave a comment:

• timthewonderworm
    replied
    So just Carrera cars on a Carrera track can be in ghost mode? How many cars can you have in ghost mode?

Leave a comment:

• Quicktap
    replied
    I think it is okay.

Leave a comment:

• DrumPhil
    replied
    I just posted a short video of some Carrera night racing using three cars set to autonomous mode (a.k.a. ghost mode). You can see it here:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/drumphil/4482767407/in/set-72157623603102941/"]Night Racing on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

(I hope posting a video link is acceptable in the forum. Please tell me if this is bad form.)

Leave a comment:

• Quicktap
    replied
    Carrera has a mode to where you can set cars as ghosts, this means that they will go around the track by themselves and switch lanes randomly. It is great if you have no one to race against.

Leave a comment:

• timthewonderworm
    replied
    what is ghost car mode?

Leave a comment:

• Quicktap
    replied
    Yep.

Leave a comment:

• eboat
    replied
    Vid looks alright