C7042 Part 3 "Pace Cars"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C7042 Part 3 "Pace Cars"

I hope the day is finding everyone well. I'm feeling pretty good since I just finished Part 3 of my C7042 video series. It took longer than I wanted, but not as long as between parts 1 and 2. As we all know, life can get in the way of things. As much as I love digital slots and making videos, there are still things that have higher priority. That said, I'm trying to ratchet up the priority on this project so that I can finish these videos and return the base to its rightful owner as soon as possible. At the very least, I want to get them all done in time for Christmas so that all the kids and dads have something to turn to when the manual lets them down. Anyway, enough of that. I'm sure you're already watching the video, but if not, thanks for reading, and now get to the video!

Now that you're done with that, next up will be a video about Yellow Flag and how those options effect racing. I also plan to do a video about other things like controller calibration, car programming, and the start/end options. Hopefully I can include some of those in the next video, but I'm having to work within YouTube's 10 minute time limit as well. Finally, I'm considering remaking the Basic Mode video with proper scripting so that I'm not stumbling over myself and making mistakes, not to mention providing the transcript. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on that.

Thanks!
    -Greg
    _/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_/^\_

My home track, Rainier Raceways!
    My Slots web page: ggaub.com/slots
    Last edited by MrFlippant; 04-23-2019, 08:35 AM.

TRANSCRIPT

Hello. Thanks for watching Part 3 of this instructional video series for the Scalextric Advanced Digital 6 Car Powerbase.

This time, I'll be describing how to use the CAR options, including the heavy favorite, PACE CARS!

First off, make sure the powerbase is in Professional Mode.

Just watch the screen when you plug it in, and if it shows "Basic" then you have a couple seconds to press the Right arrow button to change it to professional.

To get to the car options, press the down arrow button, and then left or right until you see CAR at the top of the screen.

Press the down arrow again to enter the car options.

Before we can change anything about a car, we first have to choose which car we're going to change.

Use the left or right arrow buttons to choose from cars 1 to 6, or All.

All is great for when we want all cars to have equal power settings, for example, but settings can also be applied to each car individually and therefore differently.

If you're using the base in analog mode, although you can still change settings for all 6 cars, only cars 1 and 2 will matter.

Once you have selected the car you want to edit, press the down arrow.

The screen and lights on the powerbase will show that you've selected that car, and allow you to press the left and right arrow buttons to choose from four options: Power Scale; Brake Behavior; Throttle minimum percentage; and Pacer car.

Power Scale lets us set different power levels for different types of cars or different driver skills.

Press Down again, and use left and right arrows to choose between 100 percent, 50 percent, 75 percent, and 88 percent.

Lower percentages are great for magless racing and letting new drivers get used to slot racing.

Press the ENTER button when you see the percent you want to use.

Brake Behavior lets us choose what kind of brakes, if any, we want for our car.

Press the down arrow, then left or right to choose from: OFF, which is no brakes at all;

Button, which is when brakes are only applied by pressing the large brakes button on the controller;

Dynamic, which is when brakes are applied by fully releasing the throttle;

or Both, which means you can either press the button or release the trigger to apply brakes.

Experiment a little to decide which type you like best.

Press the ENTER button when you see the setting you want to use.

Throttle Minimum percentage lets you set a base line for your throttle.

This is good for cars that don't move until the throttle is at a certain level.

You can set this up so that as soon as you touch the throttle, the car will move at a slow speed, giving you more overall control by not wasting any trigger motion on the low end where the car doesn't even move.

Press the down arrow, and then the left and right arrows to choose between 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16.

You'll probably need to do a lot of experimenting with this for each car, so it might be a good idea to keep notes on which setting works best for which cars.

Press the enter button when you have decided what option to use.

Now we get to pacer cars!

As soon as you press the down arrow to change pace car settings, the whole screen changes to show the current pace car settings for all 6 cars.

Keep in mind that while you can set up a pace car with a controller plugged in for that car, the controller needs to be REMOVED for the car to function as a pace car during practice or racing.

If a controller is left in, the base will assume the car is to be driven by a person.

As soon as the controller is unplugged, the car will take off.

There are two ways to set up pace car performance.

You can set them manually using the buttons on the powerbase, or more dynamically using a controller.

Let's start with using the buttons.

The up and down arrows now allow you to change between cars, as well as all cars at once.

Be careful not to scroll up past 1, though, as that will exit the pace car settings screen.

The number on the left side of the screen and the lights on the powerbase indicate the selected car.

Choose the ID that the car is programmed for, and put your future pace car on the track.

By default, all the speeds will be zero, so for your first time programming pace cars, they should all stay still.

Be careful, though, as any programmed pace car will start running as soon as it's placed on the track.

The left and right arrows increase and decrease the speed of the car, from zero to 99.

You can also press and hold the button to increase or to decrease quickly.

Press and hold the right arrow until your pace car begins to move.

Watch the car as it goes around the whole track.

Increase the speed a little at a time until you see the car begin to tail out around your tightest turn or the turn after your longest straight.

Decrease the speed a notch or two to keep it from coming off.

That will be the optimum speed for that car.

If you have a large collection of different types of cars, it might be a good idea to take notes on what the best speeds are for each of them.

The Start button controls the pace car lap count and lane change options.

The first letter represents if the laps are counted. G for no lap counting and L for lap counting.

The second letter represents lane changing, either n for never, r for random, or c for constant.

When the field is blank, it means no lap counting or lane changing.

I'm not sure why they didn't have it say Gn, but there you are.

Using the ability to set up all cars at once is a great way to get started with multiple pace cars, but it's likely that each car will need some fine tuning to make them more even.

When you change them all at once, be sure to press the ENTER button when you're ready to fine tune each car, or all the changes will revert to their previously saved settings.

After saving the settings, press down again to tune each car individually.

With multiple pace cars on the track at once, you can see which ones are slower, and speed them up, or slow down the faster ones a little so that the other cars can keep up without deslotting.

You can also setup a pace car using the controller, but only for individual cars, not all cars at once as you can using the buttons on the powerbase.

Make sure there is a controller plugged into the port for the ID you are setting up as a pacer car, and press the large Brake button to activate hand set control.

The speed setting will blink to indicate that it is ready to be set with the controller.

First, choose your lane change behavior by pressing the small lane change button on the controller until the code you want is shown next to your car.

Begin driving the car, trying to maintain a constant speed such that the car is going as fast as possible without crashing anywhere.

When you're happy with the speed, press the brake button again to set the speed as the one you want to save.

However you set up your pace cars, you need to press the ENTER button when you're finished, or all the changes will be lost.

As soon as you press Enter, you are returned to the Car options screen.

We can re-enter pacer car options, or back up to practice mode or run a race.

Remember, a pace car will not go unless the controller in that car's port is unplugged.

Also, pace cars will run around endlessly even while setting other options in the powerbase.

The only way to stop pace cars prior to a race is to press the up arrow button until you're in pre-race mode, then press the enter button to activate the Set Grid mode.

Set grid mode shuts off car control, including pace cars.

This lets you set up the cars on the starting grid before the race, without them running off at high speed or jumping the gun.

You can also change race settings while set grid is active by pressing the left or right arrow buttons.

The base will jump right to the lap or minute setting for the previously selected race type so that you can make changes before starting a race without having to stop and re-grid all your cars.

As soon as you press the Start button, the race will begin.

Note that pace cars and having power on at race start doesn't work well, as the pace cars will start as soon as the countdown starts without a false start penalty.

When using pace cars, it's best to have the Power at Start set to No. I prefer that for racing with friends as well.

For you advanced users with pit lanes, you'll also want to experiment with the No Pit and Free to Pit options in the Start/End options.

These control when pace cars will be allowed to change lanes so that you can keep them out of your pit lane.

If a pace car enters your pit lane, it will just drive though, potentially causing a damaging collision.

I hope you enjoyed learning how to setup and use Pace Cars with the Scalextric Advanced Digital 6 Car Powerbase.

Next time, we'll talk about how to use Yellow Flag mode as well as some of the other useful options provided by this powerbase.

Thanks for watching, and Happy Racing!

Last edited by MrFlippant; 09-29-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Another great video. Sure beats reading through the manual. Great job there Mr F !!!!

Dale

Comment

Thanks, Dale.
        I think the problem with the manual is that there is NOT much to read. It's just a big puzzle that users must decipher. hehe
        Last edited by MrFlippant; 09-29-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the Transcripts.! Fantastic reading, notes, etc. much easier for us old-guys to understand.! aloha, THom

Comment

Greg,

Another awesome video and transcripts. Thank's a bunch...

Willie

Comment

These have been fabulous videos.

I was intimidated by the 6 car powerbase and didn't buy it initially. Then I saw the first video and thought 'I can do that'. When I first got the powerbase, my wife was on the laptop, so I tried to set it up by using the instructions. They're terrible! When I could watch the video again, things made sense. Now that I have the hang of certain aspects, the instructions are sort of like a cheat-sheet.

Thanks again for these and please keep them coming!!

Comment

Do you have any info on how to run analog cars with the new ssd console? It's driving me crazy. I don't know if I have set something up incorrectly. I can't get the base to recognize the analog cars and it's a pain and time consuming to get it to program digital cars let alone set up a race.
                Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.
                Nicole

Comment

I don't think SSDC will allow analog mode yet.

As for programming cars with SSDC, you need to click something in SSDC to disconnect from the PB, then use the PB buttons (based on the "no display" mode of using the PB) to activate the programming mode.
                  These are both things I plan to cover in a future video, but I'm a little behind on my videos right now already, so won't postulate when that video comes out.

Comment

No pace car function in analog?

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the new PB would allow an analog car to function as a pace car - apparently that's not the case? (At the risk of repeating the question you've already answered, just to demonstrate my disappointment.)

Comment

If you're in analog mode, then you can program cars 1 or 2 as pace cars. All programming for analog pacers is done the same as for digital cars. That also means that you need to remove the controller for the car you want to run around by itself.
                      It might help me to know exactly where things break down for you. If you can answer these questions, I, or someone else, can help.
                      1) Is the base in analog mode?
                      2) is your track purely analog, or does it serve as a digital track as well?
                      2b) if digital, have you made sure both lanes are isolated from one another?
                      3) Have you followed the steps to program pace car #1 or #2?
                      4) Have you removed the controller from the jack for the car set up as a pacer?
                      5) What happens?

If that doesn't help clear things up, then please include a description of the process you are going through to set up pace cars so that I can determine if there is something you're missing.

Comment

Pacer car

While I think you were replying to Nicole's question, thanks for clarifying that it is possible to run an analog car as a pacer. I started fiddling with my PB (on all analog track) and so far have gotten the pacer to respond, but then it stops. I have just printed out your transcript for a thorough reading, as there assuredly are other functions I need to program. But at least I know one can do it, which is great. If my one brain cell stumbles over some problem in doing this, I'll bang on your door again. And Happy New Year to one and all.

Comment

Eureka

Thanks to your instructions (some of the abbreviations on the display appear to be encrypted code, rather than something one might be able to decipher), my pace car is up and running, and is a total hoot - what fun to have something to run against (even if it's not much of a conversationalist) as my little two lane track is more of a practice course than a layout anybody really would want to visit for racing.

Comment

That's great to hear! I've found the best competition for pace cars is to have a magnet car as the pacer, and drive a no mag car on my own. I set the pacer at a speed where it's just out of my reach to pass. When I'm able to pass it, I either change to a different car, or increase the pacer speed a notch or two.

Comment

Ghost racin'

That's an interesting proposition, and would be quite a challenge on my twisty narrow dog-bone of a track - there really aren't straights in the usual sense; I've been using a magnet car as the pacer, but the nature of the track requires its speed to be set lower than you otherwise have it and it's fairly easy to beat it with a magnet car. Here's a picture (taken a couple of years ago):
                              Since writing the above, I've found you can achieve a similar experience as Mr. F's by running, say, a high downforce McLaren as the pace car against something with less stick - the new Sauber Mercedes, for instance; the pace car beat the latter three times (thanks to spin outs) and the stinker even took me off the track on one of them. I also increased by a couple notches the speed of the McLaren - 49 is pretty much tops on my track, as any more speed will spin it in the tight hairpin at the left (Bottom) end of the track.
                              Last edited by Thirty; 01-03-2011, 10:05 AM. Reason: added info; typo

Comment

Working...
                              X