No announcement yet.

Pioneers made for Carrera Digital?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that a current Carrera pcb Randy? looks different to one I have seen elsewhere.
    The chip that I am using is Carrera #26733 which is an older chip. It is used in most of the first generation D132 cars. In Carrera cars the front part of this chip is over the front axle, which moves the chip ahead a little. The reason I went with this chip is because it is the narrowest one and the back of the chip is thin with not many thick parts on it. I was hoping to not do too much cutting on the interior.
    The now more common chip, Carrera #26732, is a little wider and has some thicker parts on the back part of the board. It is U shaped and is designed to fit around the motor on some of Carrera's cars.

Now that I am started on this project with the 26733 chip and I am still going to need cutting, I may look at what will be needed to put the newer chip in. Of coarse I will have extra holes in the chassis, but I will then have it worked for the next Charger.

Randy

Comment

deleted
      Last edited by Monty Zoomer; 04-16-2015, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Car is up and running

Car is up and running
        Now that I am started on this project with the 26733 chip and I am still going to need cutting, I may look at what will be needed to put the newer chip in. Of coarse I will have extra holes in the chassis, but I will then have it worked for the next Charger.
        I stayed with the 26733 chip, but after looking it over the newer chip will work also. The LED and direction switch would be about 1/2 closer to the front.They would then end up in the DPR plate.
        More of the interior would have to be cut out. But you would still not see any of the cutting when the car is put back together. Will be adding some more pictures tomorrow in my album to show how much more would have to be cut out.

Randy

To Check it out see the pictures in my album:

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...p?albumid=1013

Last edited by rtrandy; 12-04-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

The Car looks great, I do not have any pioneer cars but I would chip them also, I have a step by step instructional in the link below. I also had to cut out the interior a bit to make the body sit flush on the chassis.

Keep up the good work, And post a video if possible.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=39009
          Last edited by Quicktap; 12-01-2010, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Quicktap, Thanks for the kind words.
            I checked your thread out when you first posted it and you made it look easy. So that helped me to jump in and try chipping one.
            I think a thread with cars chipped for Carrerra should be started. It could be a good reference to look at different cars and see the level of difficulty of each car. Plus it is always nice to see the different ways people look at the same project.
            Randy

Comment

I chipped 2 cars so far with the dpr 1 scaley and 1 pioneer. I used the f1 chip in the pioneer and the xbow chip in the scaley. Both allowed me to cut into the removable panel and not the chassis itself. I had to modify the cockpit area to get steve back into his stang the scaley general lee had lots of room I would love it if pioneer left some more room for carrera chips though.

Comment

Hickser,
                I am going to be doing a Pioneer Mustang for a buddy. If you get a chance could you post a picture of the inside of you car.

I would love it if pioneer left some more room for carrera chips though.
                I agree, I went with the chip that I did hoping it was low enough in back to fit under the interior with out cutting. But ended up cutting anyway. None of the cuts in the interior can be seen when the car is together. So room could be left for the chip with out affecting the looks of the interior.

Randy

Comment

Here's the picture I would go as far forward as I could if I were to do it again. Grind off the tabs that stick up out of the front of the chassis. It may save time with cockpit modification's. Because the chip I used is wider than the inside of the chassis it took a lot to make it fit. I have the stealth bullitt and I think that is the way I will go with that one

Comment

Bringing this thread back to the front burner, I now have a Pioneer Charger ready to be chipped.
                    I'd like to use one of the chips that supports lights, as I would like to install taillights. (The cherry red 69 Charger has headlight covers closed, so no headlights for this car.)

What is the best fitting Carrera chip anyone has used? Any final words of advice on this chipping job?

Thanks.
                    Phil

Comment

DrumPhil
                      Installing the chip is pretty straight forward, its getting the body to fit with the interior that will take some work. I used the 26733 chip because it was a little narrower and I thought it would fit with out to much cutting of the interior. But I ended up cutting out more than I thought. When I do another one I will use the 26732 chip it will only take a little more cutting.
                      Here is a couple of pics, you can see a little more cutting is needed to get the 26732 chip to fit inside the interior.
                      Also a link to my gallery with pics of the conversion.
                      http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...p?albumid=1013

Randy

Last edited by rtrandy; 06-15-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks Randy. I've had a good, long look at your gallery shots of this installation. I have a 26732 chip on hand, but the little blue can (resistor/capacitor?) on the chip goes right under the driver's foot. It looks like that would take a bunch of cutting there to make it fit. I'm thinking about ordering a 26733, which looks like a better fit.

Still, with your experience in this job, I'm interested to hear why you're switching to the 26732 model. Have you had any performance issues with the 26733 chip?

Comment

I have done some sideways DP's and I had to cut cut the interior. I also removed the legs from the driver. You can see here in this thread. Can't even tell when assembled. You could also leave the interior out if you were opposed to cutting it.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=39009

Comment

@QT - I recently chipped my first Slot.it Porsche, and so far have just left the interior out, as you said. But the Charger's interior is much more visible, even while driving, and without it the car would look like something's missing.

Comment

Still, with your experience in this job, I'm interested to hear why you're switching to the 26732 model. Have you had any performance issues with the 26733 chip?
                              Phil
                              I have not had any negatives with using the 26733 chip, however this car is mainly run by itself. So I have not used it in a race with other cars. With the 26733 chip the LED ends up being farther back on the chassis, with the car fish tailing (or without magnets) it may have trouble lane changing. But I have not had a problem with it.
                              The 26732 chip is about 1/4 inch shorter and the LED is on the front of the chip, so I thought on the next car if I put this chip closer to the front axle I would not have to cut as far back on the interior. I most likely will have to cut more out above the chip though. The driver might end up loosing his legs and I will have to put in a new higher floor. I had to do this on my Carrera Cudas when I chipped them.

When the car is put back together you really would have to look at it closely to see the interior has been altered.

I think either way will work. Plus I have some spare 26732 chips.
                              Randy

Comment

Finally got the Pioneer Charger running last night. I used the 26732 chip that I had on hand, and it fit fine on the chassis. The switch and LED are at the front edge of the DPR access panel.

It was depressing, though, cutting and grinding away so much bottom side of the interior to get the body to fit over the chip. This was my first experience with a Dremel, and I started out trying to remove as little as possible. After almost two hours of removing little bits at a time, I learned that I should have just cut a bunch away to begin with. But the Pioneers are so nicely detailed that it's hard to cut up a brand new car!

The car runs fine, but I must say it is NOT quiet. The motor/gear noise is a loud whine compared to most of my Carreras. Since this is the only sidewinder I have, I don't know if the sound is normal or not. The pinion and spur were already lubed, so I only put a drop of oil on the axle bushings. When I drive the car, it sounds like the blower on a hot rod revving up.

Is that normal?

Comment

Working...
                                X