This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analog on Scalextric Digital

I've upgraded from old Strombecker tracks to Scalextric Digital. I started with a 4-car power base, then ordered a new 6-car powerbase. Right now I only have the power supply from the original 4-car base, and have ordered another from my local store so that I can run 2-lane analog. However it has been 8 months now since I ordered (2 months since I re-ordered), and I have little faith that I will ever see another power supply without ordering over the internet, which I prefer NOT to do.

I have read somewhere (wish I could remember where), that 2 lane analog can be obtained WITHOUT the use of a second power supply. Something about a dummy plug? Is this possible, and if so, how hard is it to accomplish?

I expect that this would have limitations, but I'm willing to live with limitations, for a while at least.

Thanks,

Curt

Comment

It's just a matter of finding the right size plug and putting it into the other socket. If you can find an old power supply for some other product that you're no longer using, you can just cut the plug off (if it fits). Or, go to Radio Shack or similar to get the plug from their parts supplies.

If you use the APB for digital, you'll want a second PSU for more than 3 cars, though. If that order never comes through, it might be worth looking for it at a more reputable retailer. You might even be able to get a couple of those "universal" power supplies, the kind that have the voltage switch and the different plugs? Get two, though, 'cus you want both power supplies to be the same.

Comment

Dummy Plugs

So just putting a bare plug in will work? it doesn't have to be connected to anything? I have quite a collection of old transformers, wall warts, etc. I probably have something that will work then...

I have a couple of the Radio Shack universal power supplies as well, but they only go to 12 volts. Is this enough to run analog on the Scalextric digital system? I though they needed the higher voltage (16 Volts?).

Thanks,

Curt

Comment

That's correct. The jack is a switch that tells the base that there are two power supplies, and it marries the power together. That's why they need to be the same kind of PSU if you get another. It also tells the base to use both lanes in analog mode, but it's still combining the power from both power supplies, and one stock supply is enough for most 1/32 scale analog cars, since it's 4 amps, and most of our cars don't need more than 2 amps each. So, if you have a barrel plug from your universal PSU that fits, go ahead and stick it in there all by itself (not connected to the RS power supply) and give it a try. You might find that's all you need for now.

12v is enough to run the base. It will get reduced a bit in the electronics, but it will probably still feel like 10-11v. Lower voltage is great for magless racing, but if you're running with magnets it might seem a bit slow.

The cheapest solution to getting two equivalent power supplies is to order some inexpensive Toshiba laptop compatible power supplies off ebay. You can usually get them for WELL under $20 each, shipped, usually closer to $10 each. The reason for "Toshiba laptop" compatible is that they have the right size plug and output 15v. You want two, so that they are identical, as mentioned above.

Comment

We have a number of used computer supply stores around, and I expect that the Toshiba compatible power supplies would be readily available, so that would be a great solution! I will check that out. For now I will see if I have a suitable plug, and see how that works.

This is just a fun track - I don't get into anything serious at home. It's more for testing cars before taking them to our club track, and for something different to do when guests come over...

Thanks so much,

Curt

Comment

Fun tracks are even more fun when you've got two cars running on them. Do you use digital as well, or are you using it primarily for analog?
              When you get two cars going, you can set one up as a pace car. Pick out a magless car you're going to practice with, and run a few laps to see your best lap. Then, put on a magnet car in the other lane, and set it up to run just a little faster than your best lap with the magless car. Then, start a race, and see if you can beat it.
              Watch my Pace Cars video (link up top) for how to do that, if you need any help.

Comment

When I first bought my C7042 base it came with a manual on how to program it. It was like a flow chart that made no sense. I had yet to come to this forum and tried YouTube. Sure enough, I found a video that showed me how to program one aspect with several more to view. It only took one video to make sense of the whole equation.

It just so happens to be the first time I laid eyes on Mr Flippant. It is these videos (above) of his creation that made SSD easy and fun. Thank you Greg. You are a credit to the industry and you do it for free.

Comment

Thanks, Carter.

Comment

SSD 'n Me

Yes, one video helped a whole lot!

I have been moving tracks around still trying to find the RIGHT room and the right layout.I have moved my tracks into on of the kid's old bedrooms (they are all moved out now). I have a small digital Scalextric layout with 3 lane changes and an even smaller SCX analog oval set inside it. I can run the analog cars on either track, and run the digitals on the road course.

I have a computer set up there as well, and want to connect the digital track up to the computer, but I just can't afford the cable... (at least that's what the accountant says).

Our club, the Greater Edmonton Toy Car And Racing Society only runs analog, so I don't get much chance to run digital at all. Only when friends and family come over to race.

I also have another table in the room that I will be setting up my AFX International HO set on...

Curt

Comment

Originally posted by capn.curt.wiebe View Post
                      Yes, one video helped a whole lot!

I have been moving tracks around still trying to find the RIGHT room and the right layout.I have moved my tracks into on of the kid's old bedrooms (they are all moved out now). I have a small digital Scalextric layout with 3 lane changes and an even smaller SCX analog oval set inside it. I can run the analog cars on either track, and run the digitals on the road course.

I have a computer set up there as well, and want to connect the digital track up to the computer, but I just can't afford the cable... (at least that's what the accountant says).

Our club, the Greater Edmonton Toy Car And Racing Society only runs analog, so I don't get much chance to run digital at all. Only when friends and family come over to race.

I also have another table in the room that I will be setting up my AFX International HO set on...

Curt
                      This sounds like the answer to "What do you want for Christmas".

Three months ago, mine was just under $50 mailed from England.

Comment

Christmas list

Mr. Tam:

Excellent idea!

US$ 50 is approximately CAN$ 5,643,225.00 across the border...

Sorry, being facetious here... actually about CAN$ 70. Exactly $70 more than the accountant says I can spend...

CJW

Comment

This is racing. Stand on the corner with a sign or sell a child or something , but get the cable����

Comment

Try telling your "accountant" you bought a new pair of shoes at about $70. Since they were 50% off you actually MADE $70, enough money to buy the cable you need.

Comment

Got It! Ready to ROLL! Sort of...

OK, now I have the cable and I'm trying to get the system running.

I use Race Coordinator on our club analog track, but I'm having trouble getting things to work digitally.

The cars will run on all but one controller - I can't see instructions on how to link cars with controllers so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong here or not.

Also, I'm not getting any indication that the cars are crossing the line - no lap times or counts at all.

The Race Coordinator tutorials seem to be only for ANALOG systems.

Can anyone help? Mr. Flippant?

Captain Catastrophe...

Comment

The FIRST thing to do after getting a new cable is to update the firmware. Did you do that? If not, I recommend downloading RCS64. It comes with the necessary drivers and an easy way to install them, as well as a firmware update tool and the firmware itself. It even finds the com port for you.

After you get the firmware updated, try again.

Comment

Working...
                                X