All Wireless Options for SSD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Wireless Options for SSD

Many of us would like to cut the tether of the controller to the power base. How can we do that? What do we need? This thread is meant to be a "catch all" for all past, current, and future options for wireless control of Scalextric Sport Digital race cars/track. This is ONLY meant to include solutions which allow wireless control of a car which can activate Scalextric Digital lap counting and lane changing, fundamental features for racing.

As of the post (or edit) date of this message, the following options are either in planning, development, or available for purchase.

Windows PC, C7042 6 car base, PC cable, and Software required:

1) Andrew Wallace and Colin Cupitt's SSDC "Throttle-Pro". These are bluetooth wireless boxes that are battery powered. Standard SSD controllers (OEM, TruSpeed, other resistive controllers) plug into the box which has a belt clip. Deluxe version includes a programmable button and a knob for variable brake adjustment. The system requires a computer with bluetooth capability (external dongle is fine), SSD Console v5.x, and a C7042 APB-Pro (updated firmware) power base. Other than the PC with bluetooth, no special receiver is needed, and up to 6 controllers can be paired with the PC for full 6 car racing, as long as the PC has a sufficiently quick system. More information about Throttle-Pro and ordering is available on the SSD Console web site, just search the web for "SSD Console".

2) Scorpius Wireless controllers via SSD Console. The latest version of Andrew Wallace's SSD Console software now supports Scorpius Wireless controllers. One Scorpius Wireless PC dongle is required to support up to 6 Scalextric Digital cars via SSD Console. This requires a C7042 SSD powerbase, just like the Throttle-Pro solution (#1), as well as a PC, PC-to-C7042 cable, and SSD Console. Scorpius controllers are highly advanced, and can also be used with the Scorpius Wireless slot car system. Scorpius controllers are internally battery powered. Scorpius may also be planning a wireless bridge device of some kind, similar to the SCS and oXigen designs, plugging directly into the power base. Search the web for "Scorpius Wireless" for more information.

No additional hardware or software requirements. Works with any SSD Powerbase:

1) Slot Car Solutions Wireless bridge system. This system is a wireless bridge between the controller and the powerbase itself. No computer or software required. A transmitter and receiver pair is required. Each receiver can handle up to two transmitters. The basic system includes two transmitters and one receiver. The receiver is powered by USB type power (PC or wall wart with USB socket), and the transmitter is battery powered. Transmitters are pre-programmed to specific frequencies, so specific ID pairs must be ordered. This system has been tested successfully on all SSD powerbases with resistive controllers. Testing with a Slot.it SCP1d is pending. For more information, please feel free to post a followup question, or search the web for "Slot Car Solutions".

2) Slot.it SCP01 with oXigen cartridge. This system can be configured two ways. The controller can be used to directly control a slot.it oXigen chipped car which, when programmed to car ID 1-6, will trigger SSD lane changes and lap counters. It can also be used with a forthcoming wireless bridge device (Cartridge Radio Interface, CRI) and their Scalextric Digital compatible SCP1 cartridge. By pairing the oXigen cartridge to the CRI, the CRI can then in turn control any slot.it SCP1 controller cartridge, including their Scalextric Digital compatible cartridges. There are two SSD cartridges, one for the C7030 base, and one for the C7042 base, due to changes in how the bases were designed by Hornby's designers. The oXigen cartridge/controller must be battery powered by an external box (pocket sized), and the CRI is powered by the cartridge that it is controlling, usually by track power (for analog cartridges) or external power (for digital cartridges).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FxwVlMk3TU"]Scalextric Wireless Solutions (2016) - YouTube[/ame]

If I have missed a solution, or made any mistakes, PLEASE post corrections and updates. I think this thread will be a great place to discuss the various merits of each solution without taking over threads dedicated to a specific solution. If you have any thoughts on any of these solutions, any that haven't been mentioned, or even your own ideas, please share!
    Last edited by MrFlippant; 03-22-2016, 05:33 PM.

Hey,

Just to get the ball rolling here's a couple of shaky videos I've done whilst testing the SCS wireless controller system with the Scalextric C7042 Advanced Powerbase, if you can bear the Hugh Grant accent :

[youtube]BwL7We-nSnY[/youtube] . [youtube]IoGD92PwlJ4[/youtube]

I only bought it a couple of days ago - Christmas has come early this year - so I haven't looked at everything yet, but do ask if you want anything specific tested or videoed (but not up to MrFlippant's level).
    Also, I've got the SSDC throttle pro on order so I'll post more when that arrives. Slot it & Scorpius will have to wait till I sell the better half's shoe collection .

Chris
    Last edited by sock99; 01-18-2012, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Great videos, Hugh! I mean... Chris.
      I can't imagine what other "testing" might be needed.
      I especially like the driving from the mezzanine!

My favorite part of this solution, aside from the very reasonable price, is that there is no computer required. I could bring it to a friend's house and not worry about also bringing a computer, or whether their computer has the right hardware or software.

Comment

Hi Guys,
        The Scorpius controller can now be used with APB Scaley powerbase in SNC mode via Andys SSDC program, just click on Scorpius, plug and play.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by injectorman View Post
          Hi Guys,
          The Scorpius controller can now be used with APB Scaley powerbase in SNC mode via Andys SSDC program, just click on Scorpius, plug and play.

Rick
          Great news Rick. A few points to clarify please:

1. Do you mean click on a Scorpius button somewhere in SSDC?

2. So, to get up & running on an existing APB Scalextric set, do we need just:

- a Scorpius controller @$179AUD+tax,
          - a Scorpius dongle @$99AUDtax

- and for those who don't already have SSDC:
          - SSDC @30
          - an APB-PC serial/USB cable @22?

... and no car decoder chips necessary?

... and to control 2 cars, just a second Scorpius controller on top of this?

3. Will it work side by side with wired controllers in SSDC?

4. Also, could you summarise what controller features work and don't work in this mode compared to the full blown Scorpius system? I'm just getting my head round this all reading Dave Chang's excellent new digital book which has separate chapters on Scorpius & oXigen, but this option is not covered.

Thanks.

Cheers
          Chris
          Last edited by sock99; 02-07-2012, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Great news Rick. A few points to clarify please:
            1. Do you mean click on a Scorpius button somewhere in SSDC?
            Yes - In the options screen you tell SSDC which COM port the dongle is - that's it.
            2. So, to get up & running on an existing APB Scalextric set, do we need just:

- a Scorpius controller @$179AUD+tax,
            - a Scorpius dongle @$99AUDtax

- and for those who don't already have SSDC:
            - SSDC @30
            - an APB-PC serial/USB cable @22?

... and no car decoder chips necessary?
            The list is right, and no Scorpius decoder chip is required. Any SSD chip will do.
            ... and to control 2 cars, just a second Scorpius controller on top of this?
            Yes
            3. Will it work side by side with wired controllers in SSDC?
            Yes
            4. Also, could you summarise what controller features work and don't work in this mode compared to the full blown Scorpius system? I'm just getting my head round this all reading Dave Chang's excellent new digital book which has separate chapters on Scorpius & oXigen, but this option is not covered.
            I'll leave this one for Rick, but for now I can tell you that with the InCar-Pro chips, you get adjustable brakes using the brake knob on the controller. Without the InCar-Pro chips, you get SSDC's adjustable ABS brakes from the controller.

Comment

Great information, guys. I've updated the original post with a new summary of the Scorpius solution. If there's any important bits of information anyone feels should be added to the summaries in the first post, please let me know.

Comment

Greg - I have put up a page on the SSDC website wtih details about the Throttle-Pro solution. I will add more info there is due course.

Comment

Excellent! I had been checking, but not recently, I guess. Thanks for the update. I've updated the original post.

Comment

RichG Display Pro - Another Wireless option

Hi all,

I've been testing an alpha trial version of the new Display-Pro and Wi-Slot wireless controllers (from RichG - Slotfiend on this forum) which appeared after MrF's useful summary in the first post. It requires new hardware but does not need a PC. It's original objective was to provide a monitor replacement for the Scalextric tower on the C7042 Advance Powerbase but has evolved into a plug & race wireless throttle platform as well. Development and alpha testing are proceeding at a pace and Scorpius and Slot it wireless controller support is planned.

So, here's a rough & ready video showing some of the features - still not up in MrF's league yet I'm afraid.

Enjoy.
                    Chris

[YOUTUBE]Rtk9bXltYLc[/YOUTUBE]
                    Last edited by sock99; 07-12-2012, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Great video, Chris! You did a great job of showing what this new option can do, and from what I understand, you were just scratching the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by sock99 View Post

Thanks.

Cheers
                        Chris
                        Firstly thanks Andy Wallace, I couldnt have put it better myself.

Ok what controller features dont you get? PEARL is the only function you dont get.

Rick

Comment

Alas, the Display-Pro and Wi-Slot controllers never made it past beta testing. Not because there was anything wrong with them, but the developer just decided not to proceed.

Anyhoo, I have all the solutions listed in the original post, and decided to make a quick video showing them all working together at the same time. Since it's only me, I could only run one car at a time, but this video clearly shows that all 4 wireless solutions work, and at the same time on the same track, right along side standard wired controllers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FxwVlMk3TU"]Scalextric Wireless Solutions (2016) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                          X