Oxygen for carrera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen for carrera

Hello guys, I own Carrera d132, but lately I have been running 1/24 at my local hobby shop, analog, been running scaleauto and plafit chassis, I have been reading on oxygen and scorpious, so my question is what is required to convert my Carrera digital track to an oxygen digital system? And will I be able to run my scaleautos and plafit chassis with out a problem? Would I be able to mod my 1/24 scales to faster motors with this system? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Your ScaleAuto car should be fine. Depending on the motor, the plafit car should be fine, too.

You'll need:
    oXigen controller: http://www.132slotcar.us/store/produ...oducts_id=7230
    oXigen chip (per car): http://www.132slotcar.us/store/produ...oducts_id=6871
    and a spare Carrera wired D132/124 controller

Install the chip into the car, including an additional LED offset for Carrera track. Installation instructions can be found on the slot.it web site. Once installed, pair the car to the controller and choose the Carrera mode. Put the spare Carrera controller into the CU set up for ID6 (I think) and strap down the LC button. Then drive!

If you want to go pure oXigen so that you can run up to 20 cars and not have the carrera controller sitting there, you can get rid of the CU completely, put DC power direct to the rails, and install these LC boards into the lane changers:
    http://www.132slotcar.us/store/produ...oducts_id=6339
    Then get the USB dongle for race management (software is free from slot.it):
    http://www.132slotcar.us/store/produ...oducts_id=6340

That, plus a couple magnets under the start/finish line is all you need to convert to pure oXigen on your track.

Comment

Awesome thank for the help, I want to go full oxygen, so I will also be needing the controller and chips for the cars, plus the dongle and lc boards?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Thank you for all your help

Comment

Keep us posted as I am interested in this but cost is a factor at the moment ($199 controller and $50+ per car chip).

Comment

The price is high, but not unreasonable, in my honest opinion. People pay 2-4x that for high end analog controllers. It's important to keep in mind that this is a hobby/club level system. You're not expected to purchase all the controllers and chip all your cars. People who race at your track should get their own controllers and chip their own cars, just as they would for any other club. If you want to supply all the equipment, maybe your guests can chip a little in to help. If this isn't going to be used at a club or commercial level, then maybe stick with a toy level system.

It's worth remembering that slot.it are also supporting distributors AND retailers with their pricing. This may not matter to some consumers, but I'm pretty sure it matters to the families of the people working for those distributors and retailers.

Comment

Bringing this back from the dead...

If I'm not mistaken, with the new Slot.it chip, you could technically use everything but the lane brains with Carrera, as the new chips are now Carrera system compatible.

Comment

To maintain clarity, the discussion up until your post was about the currently available product for oXigen, which allows the running of an oXigen chipped car on a Carrera digital track using an oXigen controller. It's essentially an oXigen race using Carrera digital track.

The new chip that you're referring to, not available as of the date of this post, is one which will allow the above, BUT ALSO the car can be run AS A CARRERA DIGITAL CAR on the D132/124 track. Eventually, it is intended for this to be possible without changing the firmware in the chip, but the initial release will require a simple firmware swap that will be possible with a smartphone or similar mobile device (no PC and oXigen dongle required!). Effectively, it converts the oXigen chip into a Carrera chip. The chip will also come pre-installed with the LEDs needed to work on SS/oXigen AND Carrera track (two LEDS, one on center and the other offset). In this way, you would literally be driving the slot.it chipped car on a Carrera digital track, just like as if it had a Carrera digital chip installed in it. You'd be using the Carrera controllers, Carrera lane changers, pit lane, CU, everything... no other slot.it hardware required whatsoever.

The MAIN reason to get this new chip is if you WANT to be able to run the same car on multiple types of tracks (oXigen, SSD, Carrera, possibly even analog) without having to make any physical modifications (changing the chip out or swapping wiring) to the car. Eventually, even the firmware swap will not be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                    To maintain clarity, the discussion up until your post was about the currently available product for oXigen, which allows the running of an oXigen chipped car on a Carrera digital track using an oXigen controller. It's essentially an oXigen race using Carrera digital track.

The new chip that you're referring to, not available as of the date of this post, is one which will allow the above, BUT ALSO the car can be run AS A CARRERA DIGITAL CAR on the D132/124 track. Eventually, it is intended for this to be possible without changing the firmware in the chip, but the initial release will require a simple firmware swap that will be possible with a smartphone or similar mobile device (no PC and oXigen dongle required!). Effectively, it converts the oXigen chip into a Carrera chip. The chip will also come pre-installed with the LEDs needed to work on SS/oXigen AND Carrera track (two LEDS, one on center and the other offset). In this way, you would literally be driving the slot.it chipped car on a Carrera digital track, just like as if it had a Carrera digital chip installed in it. You'd be using the Carrera controllers, Carrera lane changers, pit lane, CU, everything... no other slot.it hardware required whatsoever.

The MAIN reason to get this new chip is if you WANT to be able to run the same car on multiple types of tracks (oXigen, SSD, Carrera, possibly even analog) without having to make any physical modifications (changing the chip out or swapping wiring) to the car. Eventually, even the firmware swap will not be necessary.
                    ...so that I completely understand, would this also allow the use of the SCP3 controller, with the Type C chip with otherwise stock D132 track?

Comment

Well yes... But you can currently use the SCP2 and the type b chip on an otherwise stock Carrera digital track. You don't need the type c chip or the SCP3 for that.

Comment

Well yes... But you can currently use the SCP2 and the type b chip on an otherwise stock Carrera digital track. You don't need the type c chip or the SCP3 for that.
                        ...but only if you use the wired Carrera controller with the lane change button held down in ID6, correct?

What (if anything) would that impact for others racing with a person using that setup? Would others be able to use full on Carrera wired / wireless controllers and D132 cars with Carrera chips?...or, would everyone then need to utilize the Slot.it setup?

Comment

Assuming you're using the control unit for lap counting, you have the wired controller connected to the same I'd you're using with the oXigen car. But yes. You also need to put magnets under the track near the lap counter to trigger the oXigen cars to count their lap while passing over the control unit.

This would not effect the other cars on the track. A race could bre run with mix of d132 and oXigen cars except that the control unit cannot control the oXigen car's power at all.

Comment

Assuming you're using the control unit for lap counting, you have the wired controller connected to the same I'd you're using with the oXigen car. But yes. You also need to put magnets under the track near the lap counter to trigger the oXigen cars to count their lap while passing over the control unit.

This would not effect the other cars on the track. A race could bre run with mix of d132 and oXigen cars except that the control unit cannot control the oXigen car's power at all.
                            This is awesome info.

So, 1 SCP2, 1 Type B chip, 1 wired remote in ID6 w/lane change taped down, 2 magnets under track...BUT because the car will not count laps through Carrera CU, there would need to be another software running on a computer to count laps for that particular car...which wouldn't make much sense.

Correct? I appreciate your feedback on this!
                            Last edited by Drewbert34; 12-06-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Sorry I was not clear. In that situation the control unit WILL count laps. The only time the CU can't count laps is when you want to run more than six cars.

Also for running six cars with the CU counting laps you need a wired controller for each of them because the oXigen chips set to ID 1 through 6 Will be using those ID's for lane changing and lap counting. A guy in Europe made up and shared the design for dummy plugs that look like a controller with the button held down to the CU so that actual controllers are not required.

Comment

Working...
                              X