Wireless Trigger Type Controller for Carrerra Digital

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Trigger Type Controller for Carrerra Digital

I use the wireless plunger type controller that was included with my Carrera Digital set.
    Is there a wireless trigger type controller that is compatible with the Carrera digital set/cars?

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...play.php?f=238

Comment

Eventually, DRS will (hopefully) make a controller that speaks directly to the control unit like the thumb ones do. Their developer has a D132 wireless controller I donated to the cause that he's been tearing into to come up with a solution.

The only available wireless controller compatible with Carrera Digital would currently be the Slot.it SCP digital controller along with which you purchase the oXigen digital cartridge and the Common Radio Interface (CRI). The digital cart and CRI plug into your control unit, and the SCP with oXigen cart is your wireless controller. I've used this on my Carrera digital track as well as a couple others. Works great, but is not cheap.

First photo is of the CRI and digital cart plugged into my controller station. Second photo is the CRI and an analog cart (I was taking the photo for something else) along with my two wireless SCP controllers.

Comment

Frankenslot Controller

If your not afraid of ordering out of country Frankenslot A.K.A Slotcar Factory has a completely wireless controller that is specifically made for the Carrera wireless reciever. Take 2 AAA batteries has on and off switch and an LED screen. It translates to about 112.68 plus shipping, so is a little costly. However; when compared to the cost of other options on the market It is reasonable I guess. Looks to be a close comparison to Ram-Jets frame. I myself have been eyeballing these since they came out a few months ago. Check them out sometime. They look to be pretty promising.

Comment

I also have been debating buying a Frankenslot wireless controller, it looks like a nice set-up.
          It has their speedflow microcontroller built into it, which allows some programing of it. One
          of the things that can be programed that I liked, was that it can be set to have the normal 16
          speed steps, 30 speed steps or 44 speed steps.
          I may get one when I save up some money and stop buying new cars
          Randy

Comment

Originally posted by rtrandy View Post
            of the things that can be programed that I liked, was that it can be set to have the normal 16
            speed steps, 30 speed steps or 44 speed steps.
            Randy

Unless it also reprograms or replaces the car chip, I can't see how this is much more than marketing fluff. The car chip only recognizes 16 discreet steps.

It's sort of an 'ours goes to 11' moment. I suppose they could quickly vary the choice of *which* 1/16th to send to the CU, in an attempt to 'simulate' multiple steps- but I'm not convinced this would really translate to any significant improvement in terms of real world performance.

In the last tests Ed and I performed, the CU and car chip fail to make best use of the existing 16 possible steps. A controller has no way to change that.
            Last edited by b.yingling; 04-13-2016, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
              Unless it also reprograms or replaces the car chip, I can't see how this is much more than marketing fluff. The car chip only recognizes 16 discreet steps.

It's sort of an 'ours goes to 11' moment. I suppose they could quickly vary the choice of *which* 1/16th to send to the CU, in an attempt to 'simulate' multiple steps- but I'm not convinced this would really translate to any significant improvement in terms of real world performance.

In the last tests Ed and I performed, the CU and car chip fail to make best use of the existing 16 possible steps. A controller has no way to change that.
              At Digital Racing Solutions where we make digital controllers for Carrera we absolutely agree. The same for adjustable sensitivity.

Unless you desire to remap the controller steps in a manner that would allow some pads (steps) to appear to be different widths we don't see how it would work.

Don't take our word for it, read the Slot.it manual where they talk abut the digital controller of theirs not being affected by the knobs in digital mode.

In a step system your only choice is to redefine the steps available.

The other bit of seeming sensitivity is to drop out some of the lower steps to appear to give you more trigger travel prior to take off or worse yet, remove steps from the top - child mode - to reduce total overall speed/power.

Regardless give me a Ramjet-X and I'll race anyone, anywhere, anytime. It's all you need.

We are still working toward wireless. If it were simple we'd be done.

Race on.
              Last edited by kidvoltage; 04-13-2016, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Frankenslot

The Frankenslot speed controller itself can't change the number of steps. However, Frankenslot developed a separate "Controller Box". With the combination of the "box" and the "controller" there's all kind of additional functionality - speed steps as mentioned (16, 30, 44), launch control on/off, 7 different throttle curves to choose from, adjustability of trigger action (the point of trigger input at which the car starts to move), adjustability of max speed on trigger action (the point of trigger input at which the car is at full throttle).

The programming will be kept in the controller box, so it doesn't re-program the chip in the car. Each controller box can handle 3 speed controllers.

Knowing the love to detail and professionalism of Frankenslot, I have no doubt that this is the real deal and not a "marketing fluff". I do also think, that Slot.it is a manufacturer of superb 1:32 analog slot cars and their own digital product line, with love to detail and professionalism, but I doubt, that Slot.it is really a scale of what's possible and what not, if it comes to Carrera digital products....

Here is a video that explains how to program it - unfortunately only in German...

https://youtu.be/wR19RopEEIg

I have thought of getting it, but it would make it really complicated and time consuming once you start to rotate different drivers through all 6 driver ID's during race events....

Cheers!

Seb
                Last edited by Rubirosa; 04-14-2016, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubirosa View Post
                  The programming will be kept in the controller box, so it doesn't re-program the chip in the car. Each controller box can handle 3 speed controllers.

Knowing the love to detail and professionalism of Frankenslot, I have no doubt that this is the real deal and not a "marketing fluff". I do also think, that Slot.it is a manufacturer of superb 1:32 analog slot cars and their own digital product line, with love to detail and professionalism, but I doubt, that Slot.it is really a scale of what's possible and what not, if it comes to Carrera digital products....
                  In the end the car chip and the CU only recognize 16 discreet steps. You can't change that fact without reprogramming the car chip *and* the CU- or by bypassing the CU and going straight to a reprogrammed car chip.

As I said- they may attempt to quickly switch between steps in order to 'simulate' additional gradations. The numbers given make this seem extremely likely. 30 = 2 * (16-1). 44 = 3 * (16-1) - 1. So we switch between two values when set to 30. We switch back, middle, and forward when set to 44. But the CU and car chip as currently configured don't even really use all 16 of the available steps. That is- some of the 16 are identical to one another in function. I don't remember the exact test results, but I'm fairly certain there were actually fewer than 12 truly distinct settings. And this changes with different versions of CU firmware. So the attempt to simulate additional steps is going to be hampered by the lack of a true linear (or geometric, or exponential, or *any* consistent) existing framework.

I just don't think the practical effect is going to be nearly as pronounced as the numbers make it seem. The psychological effect may be.
                  Last edited by b.yingling; 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

If all this does is set the maximum speed, i.e., the full trigger speed, then I can see how they could approximate the 30 or 44 different settings by varying the throttle signal sent to the CU.

To work properly, it would require the user to always set all the cars max speeds to 15 using the CU, and then never adjust that speed with any software or with the CU buttons.

So all cars would actually always have their max speed set to...the max, but the controller throttle signal would be used to adjust the top end.

Every car would still have no more than 16 available throttle positions (in fact, at lower max speeds, there would be far fewer than that), but the full trigger speed could be varied. This may be good for balancing cars that are all run near the top end of the current max speed range- but I'd be interested to see what effect it had on cars in the middle range. It would severely restrict their throttle variability. As for the bottom of the range, I can't imagine anyone needing/wanting to use all of those settings.
                    Last edited by b.yingling; 04-14-2016, 01:16 PM.

Comment

The original poster asked "Is there a wireless trigger type controller that is compatible with the Carrera digital set/cars?"
                      The Frankenslot wireless controller answers this question, it is compatible and is a trigger type.
                      Whether you use it like a standard wireless controller or with its "marketing fluff"

Randy

Comment

My question was answered. There is one available from Frankenslot and someday maybe one from Digital Racing Solutions. I haven't read enough reviews on the Frankenslot yet. Maybe some one will review it.
                        I would use it like a standard wireless controller. I don't know enough about the fluff.

Comment

Originally posted by rjhike View Post
                          My question was answered. There is one available from Frankenslot and someday maybe one from Digital Racing Solutions. I haven't read enough reviews on the Frankenslot yet. Maybe some one will review it.
                          I would use it like a standard wireless controller.
                          It has been very well received in Germany. While pricey (more than twice the price of a Carrera wireless+ controller), it's cheaper than the slot.it wireless option by quite a bit.

Comment

I used Google translate to find more information about ordering. Approximately $94 plus $36 for shipping to US. I can't tell if I could use PayPal.
                            To me, I don't think the instructions translated very well. They were kind of confusing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rjhike View Post
                              To me, I don't think the instructions translated very well. They were kind of confusing to me.

Translate robots are great if you're translating something you already have knowledge of and hence expectations as to the content. For stuff like instructions, they are a bit rough around the edges.

Above you said you weren't really interested in any of the add-on features, so you can just plug it in and use the standard settings. One nice thing about their wireless option- you can use it in conjunction with Carrera wireless+ controllers. In fact, you have to have one of the Carrera wireless dongles plugged in for the Frankenslot wireless controllers to work.

Since your thread was already derailed with more information than you wanted, it's worth noting a couple of points about their product line. The wireless controllers do not need their controller box. The wireless controllers contain their own micro-processor, and do all of the extra speed step trickery all by themselves.
                              Last edited by b.yingling; 04-18-2016, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X