Back to garage for upcoming racing season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to garage for upcoming racing season

Well most of my part orders have arrived and it's time to get to rebuilding. Most of my cars are Wizzards (14) six Vipers and one Slottech. I will be putting new arms in the Wizzards to start with. Also new silver brushes and springs and pickup shoes. Not to mention TIRES, TIRES and more TIRES. I will be cleaning the brush barrels with lighter fluid using tiny swabs.

I think I have enough Lexan racing bodies in stock.

It's time to clean the track as I need a proving ground for testing. It, summer time so I have a few months to get the garage work done, I don't want to wait to the last minute like I did last season. Just take my time and enjoy this summer in the shop a little at the time. What do you do during the off season ? I may have some questions along the way ?

Cliff, Nice set up and track! I started with our club in 1985 and we always had an off season break for the summer until last season when we ran full year. Last year was the 1st time I raced slots in shorts and flip flops.

Comment

Thanks Dom, I have an A/C but not installed yet. Maybe shorts and flip flops for me also.

Comment

Caveman, those are a couple of impressive pictures of your inventory! Not being a club racer, I want you to elaborate on your comment on "putting in new arms" in your Wizzards. Are you replacing them because they are worn out, or going to higher-performing arms for your racing season? Is this something you do every year? Are these arms "trued & balanced", or regular store bought parts?
        Last edited by Speedhoppy; 06-12-2017, 06:45 AM. Reason: Additional text

Comment

Hi Caveman,
          I have similar projects for this summer's off season to get ready for our next season. We're switching our inline class from our local version of Super Stock (C4/Ceramic mags, stock arms, slip on tires) to "X-Jet" (same as our SS except brass weighted vs traction mags, 12V vs 18V, & minimum .432 rear / .342 front tire heights). So, I'll be retooling some of my Vipers & Storms to Viper-Jets and Thunder Storms, along with refurbishments from last season. I also need to paint & trim some lexan bodies for myself & others.

Our T-Jet class rotates back & forth between stock width ("skinny tire") T-Jets, and wide Fray-style T-Jets, so next season will be the Fray-style cars again. I need to (re)build several current & new cars.

At least one of our races will be on a temporary (Tomy) 'big track' that I host, so I have to prep track & wiring for that too.
          1. Clip the locking tabs off my newer track acquisitions, adjust rail heights & glue the rails (Loctite Black Max). (I clip the tabs off ALL my track for smoother joints, especially on temporary tracks).
          2. Modify some Tomy curves from 45 deg (1/8 curve) to 22.5 deg (1/16 curve) sections. (To provide track alignment to a Bowman BSTS 48" radius, 22.5 deg sweeper I acquired last fall, and also allow some more layout variety.)
          3. Build aprons for the curves. We've used foam sheets in the past, but I want to try making some MDF aprons.
          4. Finish my 'modular' wiring projects to make the temp track setup & teardown much easier, quicker, and foolproof. (Past method too labor intensive - I need/want to minimize my time on a creeper under the track.)

Our season will start in early October, but that's not as much time as it seems ... since there are other summer activities too.

Looking forward to sharing notes with you & others.

See you at the races!
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Speedhoppy View Post
            Caveman, those are a couple of impressive pictures of your inventory! Not being a club racer, I want you to elaborate on your comment on "putting in new arms" in your Wizzards. Are you replacing them because they are worn out, or going to higher-performing arms for your racing season? Is this something you do every year? Are these arms "trued & balanced", or regular store bought parts?
            Hey Mark, I am replacing 5 arms because of worn coms.. Some of the arms were recut and trued. The new arms are trued and balanced and set in advanced timing. I try to rotate my chassis during the year to stay fast but I'm down to 3 chassis that can keep up with the competition barely. So now is the time to rebuild. I wish I could drive better, don't know if this will happen or not. It sure would help my performance.

Cliff

Comment

Cliff....no Tjet parts??

Comment

Oh yeah, Tjet parts and tools.

Comment

Working...
                X