TY-Jet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TY-Jet

Long time project stuck in my head so finally got to get it done. Tyco 440 X-2 with Pro 4 compressed motor magnets and brass traction magnets. Fun to drive on 12vdc. 3 versions here of pan chassis NASCAR, tubed lexan body and Indy/F1 narrow chassis. I have another version coming which I think some will really like. Stay tuned.

Those look sweet, nice job. So they're all "low downforce" with those motor mags then eh? I have a couple sets of those, they sit even lower than stock and add a LOT to the pull force.

Where did you get the brass inserts? I'd like to try some out.

Comment

Brass traction magnets? ;-)

I bet they're not very sticky.

Comment

They were a very limited run by a friend of mine. I have posted the cars in other places and have received little notice so doubt we will do another run. Since the run was limited they are probably cost prohibited for general use.

Comment

JW's made brass weights that fit Tyco cars, HOCOC had a class for those cars a few years back, but they did not catch on. My cars used the stock motor magnets and those are further away from the rails that the C4 magnets that you are using.

Comment

I had several sets of JW's brass weights and sold them all except one set. That is what gave me the idea to bring Tyco brass weights up again. I was trying to sell this type of car but little interest. I may have priced the cars too high. Working right now on a less expensive version to see how that works out.

Comment

I was just yanking your chain; playing on your choice of words. ;-) They're weights.
              I bet they're fun to run. I'm really into Aurora Scre-e-echers. Motor magnets over the rails, but no flux collectors or traction magnets. They can really slide. Next to no interest in them, so I often find them dirt cheap, $5-$10.
              I like the shoes you're using! What are they?

Comment

Originally posted by gregorygw View Post
                I had several sets of JW's brass weights and sold them all except one set. That is what gave me the idea to bring Tyco brass weights up again. I was trying to sell this type of car but little interest. I may have priced the cars too high. Working right now on a less expensive version to see how that works out.
                A couple of years ago I built an IROC set of Tyco Pan cars with JW's brass weights. Lots of fun but definitely have to dial down the voltage. The Pan chassis I built were the dirt cheap Mattel replacement chassis that you used to be able to buy from their site. Then added the JW's and replacement rear axles/wheels, etc. Starting with the stupid cheap Mattel chassis made it affordable to add other parts.

Scott

Comment

Great stuff Greg, it is fun to see all the different configurations that guys come up few. I built a pair of 440 pan chassis for fun a couple years ago. The pan screws into a set of tapped brass traction magnet replacements. A lot of fun in the corners.

Happy Building

Chappy

Comment

Working...
                  X