No announcement yet.

Accepted norm in color striping lanes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepted norm in color striping lanes?

I refuse to put lane colors on my Bowman track!!!!! However, I do have to decide on whether to use a number system or color system. My way of marking the track will be strategic marks or signage depicting the colors of each lane. The signage will either be overhead or as track signs off to the side. Numbers are easy.

What is the accepted colors and color order for 4-lane tracks?

In the direction of travel and starting in the outside lane (4 lane track), traditional numbers/colors would be:

1 Red
    2 White
    3 Blue
    4 Yellow

And to confuse things even more, my Banzai BuckTrax apparently was one of the first tracks made by Dale Buck. This track exhibits:

1 Blue
    2 Red
    3 White
    4 Yellow

The bottom line is it is your track, so whatever suits your needs and tickles your fancy is just fine!

Comment

Fastlap--- be an innovator and put lights in the track of each color or project each color per lane or have hall effect activation as the car passes. Often thought tying in to have the lights in the next lane activate to show where to replace car on the track would be cool!

Comment

Gary - do what you feel looks best. Even if you were part of a series you'd not be forced to adopt anything.

I am in the same position, and my plan is to avoid those colors that are popular choices for bodies. None of the 'conventions' for this think about that.

Comment

I think neorules is onto something here Gary. You know that fancy controller you have that lights up when the car is on the track (closing the circuit)? Think of that in reverse, with LEDs embedded in the track at certain points. When a car comes off (breaks the circuit), the LEDs light up for that lane all the way around the track, and it's easy to find where to put the car back on. Could even wire up switches at each controller station to disable any empty lanes...

Comment

I thought about this for my club back when I decided to go all-BSTS, albeit with 'just' overhead gantries.

I have no idea how one would wire this up though.

Comment

Originally posted by el gecko View Post
              I think neorules is onto something here Gary. You know that fancy controller you have that lights up when the car is on the track (closing the circuit)? Think of that in reverse, with LEDs embedded in the track at certain points. When a car comes off (breaks the circuit), the LEDs light up for that lane all the way around the track, and it's easy to find where to put the car back on. Could even wire up switches at each controller station to disable any empty lanes...

I would have to see a wiring schematic before I would consider something like this. Although it sounds very innovative and COOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post

I have no idea how one would wire this up though.

My thought exactly.

Comment

Numbers

Why not simply memorize by numbering tracks inside lane as #1 etc. and place number stickers on each car ! No defacing of cars or track ! Just a thought !

Comment

If I understand the circuit properly, you should be able to run it in parallel off the wires underneath the white and black controller posts. You might need an Arduino or small custom PCB for controlling and separating the LED power circuits from the track signal/voltage circuits, but it's definitely doable. More research is definitely necessary

Comment

forgot to add !

Of course a small sign at each corner depicting numbering order depending on left or right !

Comment

Originally posted by fastlap View Post
                        My thought exactly.
                        I did once obtain a wiring diagram, but it was for only one lane and did not take into account existing power and control wiring.

Comment

I colored my Tomy track Red, Yellow, Blue, Green. Chose green rather than white because I can get the Avery dots red-yellow-blue-green on one sheet. No need to buy packs if one color.

Comment

Laser beams !

Comment

Originally posted by fastlap View Post
                              My thought exactly.
                              With my new found knowledge of deadstrips (see simple lap counter thread) I think you could use the car as a switch connected to a PNP transistor as an OFF-ON switch. For your LED circuit you use the track voltage connected to say a 9V voltage regulator. You connect this to the base of a PNP transistor (using a large resistor). PNP transistors are off when current is flowing and on when current stops flowing. The PNP transistor is connected to a string of LEDs (plus resistor). Car on the track. Circuit closed and current flows to PNP (LEDs off) Car flies off the track. Circuit open and current stops flowing to PNP. LEDs light up...but wonder if other cars slow down? Hmmm that might be good. Kinda like a caution flag. I guess you have to choose the size of your LED resistor carefully to use as little current as possible but still light up the LEDs. V=IR.
                              Last edited by wartnose; 08-25-2017, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X