X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edr
    started a topic noob question about Mega G+

noob question about Mega G+

Bought a couple mega g+ cars to supplement my old 440-x2 & super G stuff, put the mega g+ on the track... what the tarnation?!? ...tried a few different controllers, I barely touch the trigger and it's like an explosion of car flying off the track... what gives? Tomy 22 volt wallwart?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Edr.

• galerdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Maddman View Post
    You need to be careful when adding resistors in parallel with the main controller resistor as the resultant controller will become non-linear. I wrote about every possible mod to a resistor controller years ago. Check it out at http://siberiaracing.altervista.org/Tech-Parma.htm. The page contains a link to an Excel spreadsheet that allows you to experiment with parallel resistors and see what you get. Some of the curves are interesting indeed.

The moderators get upset if I make the above a hyperlink as some anti spyware programs incorrectly flag anything hosted by altervista as spyware or infected. My site is clean.

I have that page bookmarked. Had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Leave a comment:

• Maddman
    replied
    You need to be careful when adding resistors in parallel with the main controller resistor as the resultant controller will become non-linear. I wrote about every possible mod to a resistor controller years ago. Check it out at http://siberiaracing.altervista.org/Tech-Parma.htm. The page contains a link to an Excel spreadsheet that allows you to experiment with parallel resistors and see what you get. Some of the curves are interesting indeed.

The moderators get upset if I make the above a hyperlink as some anti spyware programs incorrectly flag anything hosted by altervista as spyware or infected. My site is clean.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    What about Artin track would do that? I thought they stopped making HO track years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Ntxslotcars
    replied
    Or, you could just run them on an Artin track, where they feel more at home...

Leave a comment:

• Edr
    replied
    Thank you Rich D.!

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    Here is a controller with added variable brakes and coast.

A 175 ohm rheostat is used as both the brake and coast control. In brake mode the rheostat is in the brake circuit, in coast mode it is between the brake contact and the full speed contact. A center off switch selects brakes-off-coast. In coast mode when the controller is in the off position voltage goes to the car, how high that voltage will be is controlled by the rheostat.

Here is a controller with variable ohms. There is a 500 ohm rheostat wired in parallel with the 45 ohm resistor. The ohms can be dialed as low as 25 and there is a switch to take the rheostat out of the circuit. Be aware that with controllers of this type the ohms may be the same at the very beginning of the trigger pull but as you pull the controller more the response will be more like the main resistor alone.

There are actually two ways that you can connect the extra resistor, I used the first one. For the second scheme you would have to solder a wire to the beginning of your regular resistor, which might be a little tricky.
    Last edited by RichD; 09-17-2017, 06:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• galerdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Edr View Post
    Got a 120 ohm resister today, will put it in a parma and see what happens, may also add a switch and some other resisters to make it multipurpose. I don't remember what needs to be done to add coast...
    I, for one, would certainly appreciate more details about adding the switch and resistors if you care to share.

Leave a comment:

• Edr
    replied
    Got a 120 ohm resister today, will put it in a parma and see what happens, may also add a switch and some other resisters to make it multipurpose. I don't remember what needs to be done to add coast...

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    Just for kicks I tried a Mega G+ car with an old Atlas 85 ohm thumb controller at 18.5 volts and that was OK on my big oval with 24 inch radius turns and 12 foot straights. At 24 volts the controller was still OK on that track. I am doing a big race this weekend, after that is over I will convert the track back to its road course configuration and try the Atlas controller again.

Leave a comment:

• jdmcniff
    replied
    I have 8 Mega G+ cars that I run with 40 year old AFX controllers with no problem at 18 volt. Very fast yet you can drive them in the corners. 24 volts would be way too much juice for my 8 ft straights. of course I have never had the opportunity to try a fancy controller to actually feel the diff

Leave a comment:

• MrSqueezeMe
    replied
    I got a pair of the latest AFX 120 Ohm (for Mega G+) controllers for cheap on the well known auction site just to try the feel with the older Mega G (non +) cars. I prefer them to the older controller that came with the Mega G set because they allow for much easier control of the car speed; it's easier to crawl or accelerate fast, as desired, even at the high V setting of the tri-pack.

Opinions differ of course about how the controller feels in the hand, quality, etc. but IMHO for the price (even at MSRP) it's worth trying them out to see if you like them.

MSM

Leave a comment:

• galerdude
    replied
    DS makes a 120 ohm controller and they are comparable, price wise with parma. I have a DS 25 ohm and consider it to be much better than the parma. I have a half a dozen parma's which are great too.

Leave a comment:

• MSwaterlogged
    replied
    You can buy 120 ohm controllers from afxracing.com, but they are set controllers. They work, but are not the best. Parma, etc. feel much better.

Charlie

Leave a comment:

• Edr
    replied
    Thank you gentlemen! 60 ohms is presently the highest controller I have, the stock controllers that came with the track won't work to even try it out, so a 120 ohm resister it will be. I tried searching before I posted but hadn't found anything, sorry, I'll work on my searching skills here.

Regards,
    Ed

Leave a comment:

Working...
X