Auburn Speedster meets LeMans Prototype

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auburn Speedster meets LeMans Prototype

Here's a little teaser of something to come from HWP Slot Cars... Still making some adjustments to a modern interpretation of a "1935 Auburn Speedster meets LeMans Prototype Car.Still a lot of sculpting yet to do. What do you think? Too far? Too weird?

Now seeing the pictures
    Last edited by Green Destiny; 11-14-2018, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Works for me, you've captured the essential form of the Auburn (though you might want to slope the 'grill' a bit more).

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
        Works for me, you've captured the essential form of the Auburn (though you might want to slope the 'grill' a bit more).
        Thanks! That's a good idea! Still need to do a little more sculpting. I'll probably round off the fenders a bit more, too. Might need to make a convertible or just roofless version to complete the look. Also tweak in the side panels at the bottom to add room for running boards. And stylized side exhaust pipes.

I love that Auburn. I'm working on finish up a 1935 model as well. Funny, I took the fenders off to fine tune the main body and grill, and now it looks like a soapbox derby car from yesteryear.

Comment

Very much like the Chrysler Atlantic, a modern interpretation of the Bugatti Atlantique.

Comment

Yeah! That is GREAT! Thanks for posting the picture!

Comment

Just ordered test prints of the Auburn Concept Car:

[YOUTUBE]6oC2o1uicY0[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Comment

Simply from my own esthetics, I don't like the size and shape of the headlights. And I think the engine bay needs to be wider. Seems a bit too tight to enclose the mechanicals. Maybe bulge the hood out sideways, stealing some space from those huge front fenders.

Ed Bianchi

Comment

Huh, I thought it looked mid-engined!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Highwingpilot View Post
                      Just ordered test prints of the Auburn Concept Car:

[YOUTUBE]6oC2o1uicY0[/YOUTUBE]
                      I think that's just superb, a marvelous piece of design. For sure, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But as a lifelong car nut, and a fan of those fabulous designs from Auburn, Duesenberg, Packard, and so on, I think you've perfectly captured the essence of an era - with a body that should be fully functional as a slot car!

Generally speaking, you have to go to 1/32 scale or larger to create a decently accurate scale model race car. And one of the things that can put people off about HO slot cars is their disproportionate proportions.

But this imaginary critter could be the perfect combination or form and function. Wheelbase, guide lead, width, height etc should be ideal for a slot car. I can imagine something like an IROC race class being based on this body and chassis.

Clever stuff, Jim. And it really is beautiful, to me at least!

Comment

Originally posted by HO RacePro View Post
                        Simply from my own esthetics, I don't like the size and shape of the headlights. And I think the engine bay needs to be wider. Seems a bit too tight to enclose the mechanicals. Maybe bulge the hood out sideways, stealing some space from those huge front fenders.

Ed Bianchi
                        Thanks for the input, Ed! I really appreciate the feedback.

I'm not convinced of the headlights either. A future model year may have a redesigned front end. (I have another variant of it that I'll be finishing up in the future that I may take some of those points into consideration).

But, it is in fact, truly a mid-engine car. (HWP + AFX Mega G/G+ chassis).

Comment

[YOUTUBE]GIehSa2BMv0[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Working...
                          X