Where to get magnetic braid for ho track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get magnetic braid for ho track

Where to buy braid for ho routered track?
    Last edited by slowpok; 01-20-2019, 12:44 PM.

From My Buddy Ed Bianchi. I'm sure he has magnetic braid as well as non-magnetic braid.

Comment

In case you're not familiar with the gentleman, Ed posts on SCI as HO RacePro.

Comment

I have purchased all of the braid for my tracks from Jim Honeycutt of Magnatech SRP. He sells both magnetic (tin-plated copper-clad steel braid) and non-magnetic (tin-plated copper braid). He does not sell quantities of less that 1,000 feet (304.8 meters). (That is enough to build one four-lane track with a 125 foot [38.1 meter] lap length.)

Jim's contact information:

(210) 308-6909
        [email protected]
        PO Box 29931
        San Antonio Texas 78229-0931

My relation to Mr. Honeycutt is only as a long-standing (and very satisfied!) customer.

A note about his magnetic braid... The individual strands of steel wire that make up the braid are each coated with a layer of copper, deposited by a process known as 'cladding'. Cladding creates a much thicker layer of metal than electroplating. That thick layer of copper makes Jim's magnetic braid much more conductive than a simple steel braid.

All of the braid I buy from Jim is 1/8 inch (3mm) wide and 0.022 inch (0.56mm) thick.

The magnetic braid gives magnet cars a magnetic downforce very similar to that of conventional rail track. In fact, I have never heard anyone complain that it gives too much, or too little, magnetic downforce.

All of Jim's braids are tin-plated. Tin plating protects the braid from corrosion. With use the tin plating will wear away from the upper surface of the braid, but will continue to protect most of the rest of the braid wire.

I also want to note that track braid requires NO maintenance. None! Forget scrubbing track rails. Not needed with braid.

And track braid does not wear out pickup shoes like rail does. Pickup shoes last dang near forever.

Ed Bianchi

PS - And I am not a "gentleman". I am a mean-eyed, hard-butt, nerf-you-into-the-weeds competitor!
        Last edited by HO RacePro; 01-20-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Ed. Appreciate your avoiding links to non-advertisers per the rules. Very gentlemanly of you!

1000' might seem like a lot of braid, but a three lane 100' track needs 600' of the stuff, apart from the bits that get thrown away during installation. And there will always be others looking to get hold of the remainder.
          Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; 01-20-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the reply I'm not looking for 1000' , at the most 200', I got a small track.
            I'm running steel wire not liking it much.

Comment

I can probably sell you 200 feet. Message me privately.
              Ed Bianchi

Comment

I just noticed that slowpok has been a quiet member here for quite some time.

Great to see a thread like this work out so successfully.

Comment

It's been awhile ,on and off been running 1/24 ,built a couple tracks and sold them,kids moved out ,kids move back no room for a large track ,got a small door size built now

Comment

ED Bianchi
                    You have a pm.
                    Thanks Chris

Comment

Slowpok et al,

I have been dealing with a family emergency this past week. I'll be playing catch-up these next few days. Sorry for the delay.

Ed Bianchi

Comment

No problem Ed when you have time. Family first. Thanks chrisu

Comment

I do not like PayPal, but Ed you should have a payment with my info5

Comment

Ed , sorry fat fingers ,,info

Comment

Just checking in with Ed ,did you get my mailing info? That's all thanks Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X