X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicker Bill
    started a topic 22 1/2 Degree Curves

22 1/2 Degree Curves

Iíve been playing around with 1/32 sectional track plans lately.
    Tonight I pulled the AFX track out. With 45 degree curves, I was limited in what I could design.
    Do HOers have any opinion on 22 1/2 degeee curves?
    Would people use them if they were available?
    Any interest from the manufacturers?

• xltjet
    replied
    If I end up needing very many, I will build a jig to semi-mass produce them. If that happens, I will post on here and offer my services to make them for anyone that needs them, for a small fee, of course! I have in my head an idea for a jig that will do all radii easily. Tomy track will be the easiest to do because of the straight end on one end of the rail.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Discussion of Big Track thread stuff continues, here.

Would be interesting to see what Wicker Bill comes up with, in terms of 22.5 degree curves.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Originally posted by Wicker Bill View Post
    It was a simple question about 22 1/2 degree curves for AFX sectional track
    Indeed, and I feel that the best way to get those is via Brad. The conversation then took an interesting and informative tangent, as conversations tend to do.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    I dunno, but it's been interesting and informative.

Do you feel your original question got answered, though?

Leave a comment:

• Wicker Bill
    replied
    It was a simple question about 22 1/2 degree curves for AFX sectional track.
    How did it turn into a Brad Bowman commercial and a rant about humongous tracks?

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    We have the same constraints here, and yet....

I have done enough research and spoken to enough people to be pretty sure the only real lack over there when it comes to BigTracks is will.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    There are several issues with using large temporary tracks here in the US. For a start in many areas the venues simply do not exist, where they do the rental cost would be a problem. Another problem would be finding people with enough time so set the track up and take it down. Many of the racers that I know work long hours, have irregular schedules or have a long commute from work. That would tend to rule out week nights, my HO club only races on weekends however.
    I have only gone to one race in a rented hall, that was a 1/32 scale race using a modular portable track. That was less trouble than a track on a dozen tables using quite a few sections would be, but the setup and takedown time with that has discouraged us from doing that sort of thing often.
    With both my HO and 1/32nd clubs wood or aftermarket tracks are the rule, we have quite a few really nice tracks available, so the prospect of buying a 200 foot temporary track at about $6000 for the track sections alone would tend to be a deterrent.
    Just for kicks I will discuss this issue at the next race.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
    Good setup, particularly for a temporary track on tables. And using that foam pipe wrap to keep de-slotted cars from hitting the floor is brilliant.
    Thanks.

The BSTS has really helped us push what is possible with a large-footprint temporary track.

It is long past due that such tracks start appearing Stateside, but.....

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    MaxTrax is a sectional system made of Sintra, it is a lot wider than conventional plastic track. A four lane section is ten inches wide.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Good setup, particularly for a temporary track on tables. And using that foam pipe wrap to keep de-slotted cars from hitting the floor is brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Another image:

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Thanks, that's a clever concept.

Very similar actually to the 6 & 8 lane tracks at Alan's Scaleracing Centre in Tacoma, which I believe he sourced through Cric Crac in Barcelona.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    The grey stuff in the image above.

It is routed, but you buy it in sections. Anything from a 6'' curve at 11.5 degrees up to a 30'' curve at 90 degrees. Straights too.

It is brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
    Brad Bowman makes those in BSTS, and adapters to Tomy AFX too.
    BSTS?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X