Big Track Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthShoreRacing View Post
    When was the last time THORN put on an event. From what I recall, the people involved, were overwhelmed with the level of effort.

Good luck to anyone who wants to tackle putting on big track events. You have more enthusiasm and determination then I do.
    Overwhelmed is not the word I would use. Once the initial preparation work was done, putting the race courses together and taking them apart on race night was easy, and could be done in about an hour or so by two people - of course we went into a race night with a plan, nothing was put together on the fly.

Losing our venue, and not attracting enough racers to justify race night expenses were much bigger factors in THORN not hosting more public events.

As a general comment not aimed at anyone, I find it amusing that folks who have never experienced big track racing are so quick to dismiss it. I'm not a snob, I will race on a "conventional" 4x16 and have a great time, but if given a choice, would rather race on a big track.

In my own humble opinion, outside of spending a little extra time building the race course for the evening, hosting a big track event is no more difficult than hosting any other kind of slot car event. Routines for the racers remain the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HO RacePro View Post
      Oh yeah, size does matter. There is such a thing as too big. Frankly I can't see how folks can race magnet cars on those huge UK tracks and, under passing conditions, not get confused as to which car is theirs. Especially if the two cars are the same color.

It is hard enough to follow a blur car on a modest-sized track. Even with corrected vision and a supple neck.

And then there is the business of recruiting enough guys to marshal...

Ed Bianchi
      Bigger tracks make it easier to see your car, the track is more proportional to the speed. Marshaling can be an issue no matter what the size of track. Two guys on 4x16? You're going to have some marshaling issues.

Brightly colored cars and a well designed track with marshaling in mind are key.

Comment

Great to se you back on here Mike

How ya been?

Will THORN be back in action this year?

Comment

(slight rant or whining) I have tried for the last 30min to upload a couple(2) photos of my old plastic track from the mid-'80's. There is no sense in trying anymore due to getting kicked off or an error code saying I didn't upload anything. Very frustrating. (rant off)

Just for comparison reasons, I was trying to post photos of my '80's plastic track that was 113' track mounted on a 8'x13' table. The typical back and forth plastic track we have all raced as kids or the times. I was then going to post a photo of my current track you all know of, The F.I.R. which is a 117' track on a 9'x26' table. There is no comparison between running the two tracks. The bigger table area makes the experience so much better (for me) even though the tracks were only 4' difference in running length. If I had the space and could do it all over, I would have tried to put the same FIR setup stretched out on a 16'x35' table. Just to get that expansive feel. Just sayin that the big track feel is pretty cool. But, what is our (USA) bottom line? We race in the space we have available because it's much more convenient for our different types of cars we race.

For the sake of the argument, The gang in the UK appear to set up these tracks for "The Event", and their preference for faster in-line type slot cars. We in the US tend to setup our tracks for more of a weekly or everyday use and the VARIETY of the different cars we like to race, (a good analogy is that it would be a fiasco to hold a 24hr race on the HOLM track with stock pancake type cars). UK "big tracks" are available for very short time frames. US owned basement tracks are available anytime to the owner, even if only for testing our cars daily/weekly until the other lads come over for the next scheduled race. Two different scenarios for two different types of racing formats. This debate will rage on forever because it will never be an "Apples to Apples" type of format. Doesn't make either format wrong....they're just different.
          Last edited by fastlap; 01-26-2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

And there is no reason to do one or the other. You guys could do both.

The visibility and public accessibility of the BigTracks should not be underestimated. Hiding tracks in your homes does nothing to help keep HO going, I think we all agree it is shrinking or standing still.

I suspect if US guys embraced the BT methodology they'd do them really well. Oftentimes, when the US decides to do something it sets the standard.

If they did the number of racers would go up, and the number of home tracks would go up. Win-win.
            Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 01-26-2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

The number of home tracks in GB would go up if someone sold AFX products over there.

Comment

AFX was briefly on sale here again a couple of years ago, but the deal did not last.

Comment

Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
                  Great to se you back on here Mike

How ya been?

Will THORN be back in action this year?
                  I check in here every once in a while just to see if there is anything new going on.

As for THORN, maybe. I still have all the equipment, and know a lot more people here in Lubbock than I did a few years back. Would have to find a venue that is reliable, and reasonable concerning rent.

Originally posted by fastlap View Post
                  Just for comparison reasons, I was trying to post photos of my '80's plastic track that was 113' track mounted on a 8'x13' table. The typical back and forth plastic track we have all raced as kids or the times. I was then going to post a photo of my current track you all know of, The F.I.R. which is a 117' track on a 9'x26' table. There is no comparison between running the two tracks. The bigger table area makes the experience so much better (for me) even though the tracks were only 4' difference in running length. If I had the space and could do it all over, I would have tried to put the same FIR setup stretched out on a 16'x35' table. Just to get that expansive feel. Just sayin that the big track feel is pretty cool.
                  The highlight is mine, but your post illustrates my experience as well Gary. Like I said before I will still race on traditional tracks, but big tracks are now my preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Backmarker View Post
                    I check in here every once in a while just to see if there is anything new going on.

As for THORN, maybe. I still have all the equipment, and know a lot more people here in Lubbock than I did a few years back. Would have to find a venue that is reliable, and reasonable concerning rent.

The highlight is mine, but your post illustrates my experience as well Gary. Like I said before I will still race on traditional tracks, but big tracks are now my preference.
                    Good to see you again Mike. Was sad when your venue pulled the plug on you.

Charlie

Comment

There used to be a shop in Redondo Beach (CA.) that had two HUGE H.O. tracks. I don't know how long the shop had been there, but I "almost" bought into an H.O. car (have 1/24 and 1/32). I decided to go in to see what there was to be had...the shop had closed.!?

Nice shop. It had two tracks. If the short one was full scale it would have been about 60 miles long. The larger track would have been a cross country race.

Too bad I was a little late to the show.

Mike

Comment

I'm sure it was a big track, but a scale 60 miles would be almost an ACTUAL MILE long. Even the largest slot tracks are often not much more than a scale mile, and the larger the scale of car, the smaller it actually is in scale distance. A scale mile in HO (1:64) is a little over 80 feet.

Comment

Some examples of UK 'BigTracks':

[YOUTUBE]67ZAOFRdWSY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]KTifexZFCKU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]nRKLNfDcWp0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]RRQXV4YgohA[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by MSwaterlogged View Post
                            Good to see you again Mike. Was sad when your venue pulled the plug on you.

Charlie
                            Thanks Charlie. The worst part of that was they closed their doors without any advance notice. Simply shut down.

Comment

Venue stress is definitely one of the downside of the whole 'BigTrack' experience.

The solution is not to keep hiding at home though, it is to promote public venues enough and race in them enough that they become affordable.

Comment

Two months off, as discussed previously.

Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
                                The solution is not to keep hiding at home though
                                Nobody is hiding anywhere, and if you had taken the time to read and comprehend what others have been contributing in this thread then you would know this. Everybody is enjoying the hobby in their own sociable way.

Your condescension isn't appropriate. It's high time you learned to respect other points of view.

We ask that everyone, who participates, does so in manner that we all can continue to enjoy this site. We take the "Be Polite" rule very seriously! Rudeness or personal attacks directed against other members of this forum will not be tolerated. We ask that the members of SCI do not search through these rules and policies looking for loopholes or for something that may have been overlooked. We ask that you take on the spirit of these rules and policies and act appropriately.
                                Separately, we've recently been fortunate to have some news and useful input from Woodcote, regarding the New Micro Scalextric system (thanks, Andy). Your response to this has been to try and throw a hammer in the works in every way. Disharmony and discord, and your last post in that thread (now deleted) was just another attempt on your part to send things off topic and engage in further argument on a number of unrelated issues.

The purpose of this web site is to promote the hobby of Slot Car/Model Car Racing. Slot Car Illustrated and Scaleracing LLC provide a message board for private individuals of all ages to use as a gathering place to exchange ideas and information about the hobby that we all enjoy. With public access to this message board there will be many different ideas and points of view expressed by individuals who all think, and act differently. We at Slot Car Illustrated and Scaleracing LLC would like to ask that the participants of this site treat others in the manner they would like to be treated.
                                It's high time you figured out that you are not entitled to having the last word on everything, nor are you permitted to try and turn every thread into an argument. You are not entitled to dominate every discussion. What is your problem? Your behaviour is destructive, not contributory!

Slot Car Illustrated and Scaleracing LLC are more than happy to provide this service with the intention that it brings enthusiasts around the world together to promote interest and friendship among people that share an interest in this hobby.
                                What you do with the next two months is your business. But you might be wise to spend your time looking for another website where your viewpoints and attitude are more appreciated; it's a big internet and everyone must surely be welcome somewhere on it.

But continuing your destructive behaviour here will not be tolerated.
                                Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; 01-27-2019, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X