No announcement yet.

Big Track Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backmarker...we are currently working on a grant to build the Monticello..in DC...just a update..
    we have got a lot of things going especially out west in Illinois, Wisconsin, Arizona and we are looking to expand in Kentucky next. Taking slow calculated steps now..but the racing has been wonderful..we still have the Board if you want to holla..

I don't come here much anymore...

Comment

Hey Yo! I lurk on the board every once in a while. Congrats on getting your series off the ground. It ain't easy.

Comment

Thanks..so far we have 6 tracks in Wisconsin, one in AZ 3 in Illinois...and we looking hook up with the guys in Lexington KY..it's been a blast and quite the learning experience...but you will love the tracks..large, long and fun...no cookie cutters...and a mix of routed and Tomy sectional..

Comment

Good to hear you got SHORS launched. It takes a great deal of perseverance to get something like that up and running. It would be good to see some pics and/or track plans on here if you have the time please?

Comment

Top your on our S.H.O.R.S. Board...I've been working it to keep it updated with pics and links..and we have a large FB presence if you really want to get into the nooks and crannies..plus good videos of the venues and racing..as well as tech stuff..

Comment

W,

Why don't you post a link to the FB page. It should be allowed due to that you're not actually selling or competing. Should be ok with SCI, right?

G

Comment

I'll check with Alan, to make sure this wouldn't be in conflict with Rule 12.

Would be good to help get the word out on what S.H.O.R.S. is up to these days!

P

Comment

Paul,

I was thinking the same thing and am grateful you'd chimed in. I can't see it being any different posting about an organization that is promoting growth of the hobby like THROL, DERBY HO RACING, etc. Just a bunch of guys trying to get together for fun racing, right? Hope I'm not overstating this or stepping on toes?

Gary

Comment

From any thread on SCI you can promote that post on Facebook.

See the symbols below this topic listed as bookmarks, click on the F for facebook and it will post on Facebook
                    That is an acceptable way to cross promote. I do it all the time.
                    I just posted this topic on the SCI facebook page. From there you can share on other Facebook feeds.
                    Last edited by Scaleracing; 02-15-2019, 02:11 PM.
                    Alan Smith
                    SCI Owner.
                    www.scaleracing.com
                    www.slotcarillustrated.com
                    www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Alan,

A very equitable way to cross promote. Thanks bunches!!!

And thanks for the continued efforts to recovering (fixing) SCI and it's forums. I'm sure you have had your hands full!!!

Gary

Comment

Alan, Bookmarks, is whut u mean!

Indeed, amongst the Bookmarks at the bottom of the page we find a FB link; when I click on it, I'm invited to log in there right away.

Great way of sharing information back and forth. Looking forward to seeing the FB S.H.O.R.S. link here!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicker Bill View Post
                          How about some photos of these BSTS sections and how they adapt to AFX track?
                          Now you see the photos, what do you think? Brad Bowman makes connector pieces that attach to just about any manufacturer you want. BSTS is used a lot by clubs in the UK.

I have placed an order with BradsTracks for BSTS, enough to make an oval on a 4x16 table with 21" radius turns. (Yes SouthShoreRacing, I said a 4x16 table ).

The idea is to add to it as my budget allows until I can make numerous temporary "big track" circuits using only BSTS routed track. Some might say that the system is not continuous rail, and they would be right, but when you are using 48 inch long straight sections and custom cut curves at 180 degrees or more that are single piece, you are cutting down the number of electrical connections on the layout considerably. Another nice feature of BSTS is that every piece comes ready to be used as a power tap.

I imagine it will take a few years to build up my BSTS collection enough to make me happy, but I think it will be worth it.

Comment

Itís very interesting. Large tracks with 48Ē sectional straights and large radius curves seem ideal.
                            I asked because it was hard to tell how it adapts to AFX by looking at Bradís homepage. Iím still curious about his tongue and groove joints (it would seem to make the track directional unless all pieces have a groove and a separate tongue is installed to make the joint) and bow tie system. More pictures on his website would help to explain.
                            MaxTrax are the popular routed track in my area.

Comment

Since I have not seen BSTS in person, I can't say whether it is directional or not. I'm assuming that it isn't based on what I've seen on various video's of UK clubs using it. It seems as if they are using it much like you would AFX track.

Comment

BSTS is used by only one club in the UK - THORL. It is also included in the layout for the annual AFX 6 hour race, which is hosted by THORL. Here's a pic of the join between two pieces:

As you can see, the two pieces are held by two 'dog bones' inserted into the track on the left and right. That holds the two pieces very tightly. The electrical connection (and fine-tuned lining-up) is created by inserting a small piece of soft copper rod in a cavity where the lockwire would normally be.

So the track runs in both directions. You can make an entire track with BSTS or use the BSTS/AFX adaptors to build a track with BSTS and Tomy track. The slot is slightly shallower than Tomy.

I've raced on BSTS and it is very smooth. I've also built a lot of temporary tracks including BSTS and I can say that it can be a PITA - or more accurately, a pain in the thumb and forefinger. Those copper rods can be hard work to install and don't always connect. The track requires fine-tuning once connected.

A small section of borrowed BSTS was used for a couple of WHO club races and it did not make for a smooth set-up - as we only have 90 minutes to get everything running. A whole day (8 hour) set-up or a semi-permanent track which is altered every six months or so would be the ideal use for BSTS, in my opinion. It is easier to put together than a MaxTrax (which I have at home and like very much). However, despite all the plus-points of BSTS, we are more than happy with our 100% AFX set-up at WHO. It suits our needs perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                                X