• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NicoRosberg.
    started a topic Big Track Thread

Big Track Thread

Originally posted by RichD View Post
    we have quite a few really nice tracks available, so the prospect of buying a 200 foot temporary track at about $6000 for the track sections alone would tend to be a deterrent.
    Just for kicks I will discuss this issue at the next race.
    Sorry, I missed this the first time around, where do you get $6000 from?

I'd say the national group here has $1200 worth of BSTS, acquired gradually and half of which I donated, and about the same in Tomy AFX track. That was acquired in stages, donated by some, some of it was used (purchased from car boots and shows).

For any given track we only use half of each, so if you work from track plans and learnt from our mistakes with BSTS you could keep the spend down.

THORN showed how it could be done over there....

[YOUTUBE]QnGWruAqJtA[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; 01-23-2019, 12:29 PM.

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Save some money, get a Truspeed.

Leave a comment:

• Backmarker
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Peterson View Post
    Living the Dream! Nice Mike, Love the the big sweeper. That is a full power turn. When you see the car turning left Fn hammer Down. I'm telling ya don't be afraid, Hitting that turn just right will drop lap times by a tenth if not more. Looks to be about 2.7 lap with a stock ceramic. Close to 2. with some magnets and a motor. Good times. LMK if Im close with my guesses.
    Want to respond to Eric's prediction on lap times on the Gilmore. Laps were run with a Viper V-1 right out of the box, with a 35 ohm Parma Econo controller. Brakes were not hooked up. I suspect with a better quality controller I could do better. I can gun it on the big sweeper as suggested, and about about halfway through the other before a let off for the hairpin immediately following the 2nd big turn.

Red Lane: 2.725
    White Lane: 2.610
    Blue Lane: 2,610
    Yellow Lane: 2.790

Going to have to break down and shell out for a bells and whistles controller.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Beta is a manufacturer.

Leave a comment:

• Backmarker
    replied
    Interesting name. Guess I'll google it and see where I can find one. Thanks Deane!

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Turns out the tool we need for the coppers Mike is called a Beta Dzus Head Screw Fastener.

Leave a comment:

• Backmarker
    replied
    Thanks Gary - I'm looking forward to picking it up next weekend. While it isn't a big track, its going to kickstart THORN. Even though I haven't been hosting races, I've still been promoting and have a bunch of guys ready to get started. Its going to make a great home track )) I'll bet you're ready to get back on the F.I.R. too!

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Your basement is way tidier than my basement ..

Leave a comment:

• fastlap
    replied
    practice table.jpg

Cool track Mike. I hope you have tons of fun on it. I too am getting my track put back together in the new house. I have much more room for the big track than the last house. Got the LED lights up, and playing around with the table placement now

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Backmarker
    replied
    Here is the track in its original configuration - the infield straights have since been lengthened. Thats Bill Gilmore in the white shirt on the left.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    That is a nice layout. MaxTrax sells the same configuration as the 4416-05. One of the HOCOC racers just bought one of those and it can be converted to an oval.

Leave a comment:

• Backmarker
    replied
    Yeah, going to make the road trip to pick the track up next weekend, and it may take a couple weeks before I can set it up - gotta clear some space. I'm itching to race on it! I'll probably make a video and show some lap times when we have our first race on it. Believe me, I'll push the limits on it and see what I can do around that sweeper ))

smalltime: I was considering changing the name of the track, but was curious how the track got its name in the first place. I asked on the THOR FB page, and when I heard who Bill was, and what he meant to the guys at THOR I decided the best thing to do was to keep the name of the track to honor his legacy. After all, if he wouldn't have had it built, I wouldn't have it now.

Leave a comment:

• smalltime
    replied
    Originally posted by Backmarker View Post
    The "Gilmore" named after Bill Gilmore, the man who had the the track built (who has since passed away) will be my home track. I plan to use it for THORN meets to drum up interest while I continue to search for a venue for the big tracks.
    I miss Billy
    I had the opportunity to race with him many times. He was a great guy.
    I'm pretty sure he was affiliated with the Foyt /Gilmore race team in some way, but he would never say how.

Gods speed Billy

Leave a comment:

• Eric Peterson
    replied
    Living the Dream! Nice Mike, Love the the big sweeper. That is a full power turn. When you see the car turning left Fn hammer Down. I'm telling ya don't be afraid, Hitting that turn just right will drop lap times by a tenth if not more. Looks to be about 2.7 lap with a stock ceramic. Close to 2. with some magnets and a motor. Good times. LMK if Im close with my guesses.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Very cool. Things are happening.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X