DTM and Indycar decals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTM and Indycar decals?

Hello racing fans. I have ordered some DTM four door sedan bodies and unpainted open wheel bodies for Life-Like "M"from Mr. Flynn at HC Slots. They look pretty cool, been looking for a reason to patronize HC Slots and here it is.

The DTM bodies are standard IROC red, white, blue, yellow. The red and blue look fairly light in shade, so hopefully they would accept most any decals.

I would appreciate opinions and tips as to how to decorate each sort, with decals for the DTM and paint and decals for the open wheel, hopefully with Indycar liveries. Ideally these would be somewhat current, although as we age that means sometime in the last twenty years I suppose. ;-) Also, this is my first go at decals since the age of 14 or so, and these are pretty small, so advice is most welcome. Tweezers? Pay a teenager? ;-)

I have diligently searched the Intertubes, so I know that Mr. Patto exists down under, and there seem to be many vendors in the US with tons of NASCAR decals, just looking for some guidance especially on the DTM as I am generally unfamiliar with European liveries. No big deal of course.

I am not a purist nor a rivet counter, to borrow the model train phrase, but it would seem silly to put a Waffle House decal on a Euro car.

As always, thanks to you good people who helped me so many times get back into the hobby.

I'd tend to go for Patto's peel & stick for durability in IROC racing.

Your biggest problem will be finding what you're looking for as his range is HUGE.

Somewhere on here is 'Birth of a Nascar', which shows the transformation of a bare white Racemasters shell to a fully liveried NASCAR, using simple tools, magnifying glasses, Pattos 'peelers' and a lot of patience

Comment

Here you go:

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...t=birth+nascar

Comment

NCSS,
        Whenever I was looking for paint schemes for specific racing series / bodies, I would Google that series and view "Images Of".

Google "DTM Race Series", and you should see any number of examples you can use.......

Comment

Thanks to both, will definitely do some practicing! Maybe on an old Hot Wheels plastic body, one of those goofy ones that changes color that I bought for some reason. Apparently DTM rotates constructors? So I can always declare what year it is based on what I can obtain. ;-)

Comment

I use Pattos for most sports cars and nascar. For Indy cars I use Indycals. Just google indycals for their contact info. His site is very well organized.

My preference is the waterslide decals. The reason I like the waterslide is because they leave less noticeable edge over the peel n stick. The best way to position the small sponsor decals in position is using a non-colored wood toothpick. Once it's where you want it, it is easy to wick the excess water away with a paper towel or tissue. Although tissues tend to leave mini strands when they deteriorate too much. Hope this helps.

Note: As far as working in our scale, most of us are in the same age category. I'm almost 64yo, have enough arthritis in the hands to give me fits sometimes, have to use reading glasses for the smaller decals. Best advice, have fun decorating your slots!!!!

Comment

Yep

Thanks for the tips, especially Indycal, will have a look for sure. I definitely use magnification. Old enough to remember T-Jets and the moon landing. ;-) Young enough that when my wife bought me a Tomy Turbo set in college, we had loads of fun. She still podiums during our parties despite not touching the track for a year. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by fastlap View Post
                I use Pattos for most sports cars
                add frowny-face emogi

I don't have any DTM decals, but you might find some other interesting stuff at my web site.
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by C&RHORacing View Post
                  add frowny-face emogi

I don't have any DTM decals, but you might find some other interesting stuff at my web site.
                  Bob

Bob,

You're safe. My fav version of sports cars are the 80's GTP and modern LMP type cars. When I get into some older era cars, you'll be the first on my must have decal list....

Gar

Comment

C & R @ post 8...:I like your decals and if I develope any skill at this will keep you in mind.

Comment

Track images

Just doing a test of posting an image, 'cause I never could work it all that well in the first place! [edit-image fixed)

This image is from our annual October slot party, the big shindig.
                      Last edited by NCSS; 02-14-2019, 03:47 PM. Reason: fixing image

Comment

If you saved the image from somewhere, you may have saved just a small version.

Always click or right click on an image you want to save to be sure it's the full sized version and save that one.

Pictures save from phone apps such as Instagram are notoriously tiny.

For slot cars, IROC racing is about being able to see your car('s color), so be sure not to over-decorate. Actual NASCARS are so covered these days you can't see the actual livery.

Comment

Fixed

Originally posted by JimDouglasJr View Post
                          If you saved the image from somewhere, you may have saved just a small version.

Always click or right click on an image you want to save to be sure it's the full sized version and save that one.

Pictures save from phone apps such as Instagram are notoriously tiny.

For slot cars, IROC racing is about being able to see your car('s color), so be sure not to over-decorate. Actual NASCARS are so covered these days you can't see the actual livery.
                          Found correct combination for exporting photos on a Mac to specify 640x480 and small enough file size. Thanks! Choosing "Medium" the easy way is too big, and "Small" is tiny.

Good thinking on the IROC decals. Since I'm not a rivet counter and they're my cars, I bought some LMP type decals circa late 1980's-early 1990's. Some may not fit, but at least I'll have European decals for the DTM sedans, even if they're not the correct sponsors.

Indycar I purchased more contemporary liveries, just for fun. Cheers!

Comment

Is we learning?

Here's the "Will Power" body. Most of you already know all this, but it was news to me that thinning Tamiya acrylics with 91% isopropyl alcohol and applying two or three thin coats will yield okay results, at least for me. For other colors I am priming with white. What seemed to work best for me was about a 30% ratio of alcohol to paint, measured by drops using small pipettes. Mistakes have been made, but it's all about the journey hey?

Also, having not touched a waterslide decal since I was a kid, tap water should be luke-warmish at most, at least for the Indycals I am using. Otherwise they slide right off into the water, and worst case curl up and become trash. I saved quite a few by getting them back in the water. Now with luke-warmish water I am just holding them in the water using small tweezers, so then I can slide them off onto the car (usually.) Regards.

Comment

You might try soaking the decals on a very wet sponge if they’re coming off the backing in water.

Comment

Working...
                              X