X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74bmw
    started a topic Intro & a question

Intro & a question

Hello everyone.I've been scanning this forum for a week or so.I figured I should join in.I'm 39 years old and getting back into H.O. slot cars.A guy at work re introduced me to the hobby,now I'm introducing it to my son(he loves it).I had an AFX set as a kid,but they have come a long way since then.I'm gathering up Life Like track for my home track.I'm probably going to start with a table made from a hollow core door which I hope to get this weekend.The only problem that I have is that that slot cars are keeping me from working on my real car in the garage!I would like to pick your brains if you don't mind.I am dissapointed with the controllers that come with the Life Like sets.After reading some posts here and other sites I'm thinking of a Parma 45 ohm Econo controller.We will run mostly magnet cars like SRT's,G+,Wizzard Storm etc. and occasionally T-Jets.I saw an auction on ebay for an Aurora Control Plus controller,it has a knob that allows for adjusting the settings on the controller.Are these any good,or should I go with the Parma?Thanks for any input,hopefully I can contribute in the future. Mike

• Rick Carter
    replied

First off, you're at the top of the charts in my book by the brand of car that your screen name reflects. Second, we're the same age and will hit the big Four-O this year (assuming you didn't just turn 39).

What area are you in? There may be a few cats in your area that you may not know about that could help you out on a more hands on basis.

Leave a comment:

• fraga
    replied
    Originally posted by slotpoor View Post
    [sets.After reading some posts here and other sites I'm thinking of a Parma 45 ohm Econo controller.We will run mostly magnet cars like SRT's,G+,Wizzard Storm etc. and occasionally T-Jets.I saw an auction on ebay for an Aurora Control Plus controller,it has a knob that allows for adjusting the settings on the controller.Are these any good,or should I go with the Parma?}

The Parma 35 or 45 should be ok for that application. You will need to wire your track for brakes to make maximum use of it. The Aurora Control Plus controller is not good for much of anything except t-jet racing in my own experience. For running t-jets and AFX magnatraction cars I recommend 80 to 120 ohms for maximum sensitivity with a Parma. A 60 ohm controller would work ok.
    If you want a controller that is reasonably priced and will run all your HO cars very well I recommend a Proffessor motor controller. The one that costs about 49.95 is ideal.
    Slotpoor
    Hi. Why would you not recommend the Aurora Plus for anything besides t-jet?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• 74bmw
    replied
    Thanks for the info.I will look into the Professor.

Leave a comment:

• Sturgis
    replied
    I agree with Slotpoor's choice... I have 4 Professor Motor controllers that I use for the "house" controllers.. They'll run anything from a T-Jet up to a Superstock.. I have my own racing controllers for when I go to the "real" races but I've even used the Professor Motor controller in T-Jet races at times.

www.swmsra.com

Leave a comment:

• slotpoor
    replied
    re:which controller?

[sets.After reading some posts here and other sites I'm thinking of a Parma 45 ohm Econo controller.We will run mostly magnet cars like SRT's,G+,Wizzard Storm etc. and occasionally T-Jets.I saw an auction on ebay for an Aurora Control Plus controller,it has a knob that allows for adjusting the settings on the controller.Are these any good,or should I go with the Parma?}

The Parma 35 or 45 should be ok for that application. You will need to wire your track for brakes to make maximum use of it. The Aurora Control Plus controller is not good for much of anything except t-jet racing in my own experience. For running t-jets and AFX magnatraction cars I recommend 80 to 120 ohms for maximum sensitivity with a Parma. A 60 ohm controller would work ok.
    If you want a controller that is reasonably priced and will run all your HO cars very well I recommend a Proffessor motor controller. The one that costs about 49.95 is ideal.
    Slotpoor

Leave a comment:

Working...
X