Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the tips guys. Although it's not my first rodeo with all this. I only mentioned it because I know it's not easy and is a challenge to get right one must think of. My first big track built between 2003-05 was basically a clone of what was seen in the old AFX handbook guide to racing. I also put lot's of other little twists and gimmicks into that project. Literally twists as one section has a swooping section made up of AFX flex-track. That whole track was made from everything AFX made in the 70's! Basically an expose of what was in the book and comprised of everything I had used as a kid and what I had bought over the past 30yrs since that time.

Mini Mojo,good to hear from you. I always like what you did with your track from your first pics here! If I need some ideas I will go back and review your work.

Comment

• Thanks, O-M.

Doing the table as I did came out very sturdy, somewhat like a uni-body/stressed skin assembly. If needed, the 3 sections of the table could be separated for moving (heaven forbid!)

If you look at the track section plan, notice that there are some cut sections to create some turn angles in 2 places that the manufactured sections aren't made for. If I did that again, I'd take the rails out and cut the turn sections as desired, and re-install some longer rails from other sections that would be long enough to fit the compound turn sections created. As it is, the compound sections have jumper wires soldered underneath the joints but a single rail would make it easier to keep the track smooth.

So, good luck with it however you decide to do it. Should be a cool track when completed.

Karl

Comment

• Last nite I got a bunch of the loose boxed pieces of track sorted out. I made a list of what I had and what I figured I needed. Today I'm going to sit here and clean all of it whether it looks needed or not? Too much work going into this not to prep it right! Of course while sitting here with the tedious job I will enjoy some beer and maybe a race on TV.

Here is a bit of inspiration I found to help me along. It's a short clip from Road Atlanta's inaugural year and Can-Am race. Oldtimer's will notice the narrator is none other than Oscar Koveleski of original Auto World fame. The car of his pictured was the inspiration/tribute AFX did for their Mc Claren Can-Am.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...60FC&FORM=VIRE

Comment

• Martini Mountain

Brad Bowman's masterpiece:
          (AKA The Champion)
          http://www.mahorkc.com/leppert.html
          Last edited by smalltime; 05-26-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old - Mech. View Post
            Last nite I got a bunch of the loose boxed pieces of track sorted out. I made a list of what I had and what I figured I needed. Today I'm going to sit here and clean all of it whether it looks needed or not? Too much work going into this not to prep it right! Of course while sitting here with the tedious job I will enjoy some beer and maybe a race on TV.

Here is a bit of inspiration I found to help me along. It's a short clip from Road Atlanta's inaugural year and Can-Am race. Oldtimer's will notice the narrator is none other than Oscar Koveleski of original Auto World fame. The car of his pictured was the inspiration/tribute AFX did for their Mc Claren Can-Am.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...60FC&FORM=VIRE
            That is the track as I remember it. Before all the changes they made. We used to sit in the grass by the esses on the back side. Great weekends, especially when it rained and you were stuck in the Georgia red clay!!

Charlie

Comment

• I figured if anyone would appreciate that bit of history it would be you,Charlie. Sounds like your experience in the wet clay was similar to what they called,the"Bog" at Watkins Glen. Of course they have that kind of thing at many tracks,at Indy it's called the "Snake Pit".

Comment

• I like the idea of replicating Road Atlanta in H.O. If I had the space (and the $$$) I'd do a Road America layout. For grins, I designed a version of Road America which would take 16' x 12' for the table. (Way too big for my basement! )

Just a thought, but looking at the map of the track you may want to consider using some, if not all Tomy track as there are 18" radius 1/8 turns available. Turns 1 and 12 would be good candidates for that as well as some of the fast esses.

You probably know that there are 3" straight adapter tracks available for AFX to Tomy if you go with a combination of the two.

Karl

Comment

• Thanks for the suggestions Karl,they are all good ones! Here is the situation from my end of the court. At the beginning the original idea was to replicate Mosport - Canadian Tire Motorsport park nowadays. What a mouthful now they have a sponsor,it will always be Mosport to me. That was the place of watching my first road races,although at 6 mos. to 5 yrs. of age not sure how much watching I did? That was ruled in because of the standard of being a 2.5 mi. course. Honestly this is the doable scale range and then you need a lot of space,track,table area,and most people would be racing with their backs against a wall. The reason it was ruled out was the long climbing backstraight hill. I saw no real way to transition it up and down without using at least 5' of table. I had already learned my lesson building my Aurora model motoring track. I used bridge humps in that and while fine for T-jets with no gravity magnets,almost anything sticks to the top if you go too slow. If you go too fast cars leave the track like a motorcross bike doing jumps! I am still not happy learning that lesson.

So the next choice to keep things in the 2.5 mi. range was Mid-Ohio or Road Atlanta. Honestly Road America is not that much fun to race on unless you have a really fast car. I raced basically production sports cars there for years so I know. You go around the whole track with your foot buried in the throttle or on the brakes. Plus with a scale range to replicate 4.4 mi. I would need double what I am using now. I am already trying to squeeze this track into 4x18' with an additional 4x4' table added on. So do the math on that one. I have no idea yet what the running track length will be?

As for the track I wish I had more Tomy track. After the hunt for all I have about 80% is either Tyco or old AFX snap lock. Plus a bit of oddball stuff like Rokar-LL. I think I have only 2 small sets with Tomy. Now I do have more Model Motoring track than any sane person should own. But I am not going down that road again.Here is a question for people out there. Do they make an adaptor for Tyco to Tomy? That would help me immensely!

Comment

• What cars/classes did you race? My 3 best buddies all raced Sprites in HP, GP or FP, depending on which displacement they ran. I had 3 sons growing up at the time and having a race car was not in the budget back then. Crewing for them and attending Can-Am, Trans Am, IMSA and so on I've been to Road America so many times I've lost count. We all love the place both as racers and spectators. That's a lot of why I'd love to replicate it in H.O. Have you seen the Bobby Rahal Slot Mods Road America track? Layout is for 1/32 scale cars and while much shorter than scale, captures the "feel" of the place fairly well (even if the Corvette bridge is in the wrong place!)

I'd have to check my diagram and add up what my Road America slot track length would be. I think it would make a fun layout even though it wouldn't be close to a scale 4 miles. Maybe something like 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 scale miles.

Anyway, one way to get a bunch of Tomy track is that 4 lane "Super International" set although it looks like you don't get a lot of 18" radius turns (if any.)

I do have a fair amount of AFX track still in packages I've accumulated over the years and I'd sell some at a reasonable price. PM me a list of what you might need and we can compare notes between your wants and my stock.

Karl

Comment

• Well Karl,first off let me say thanks for your ideas,inspiration and offer. I have no problem with buying some Tomy 18's and whatever else I may need. I am sure I could find some set's on the web but as we all know,shipping is the killer on that stuff! That's how I got stuck with so much Model Motoring track. I bought it cheap because I searched auctions for the auctions that had the few hard to find pieces I needed and bought the lot. I paid a few dollars more to have lot's of track even with shipping,than some special pieces at high $$.

I gotta stay cool and lay back,just as in racing. Plan my moves and wait,don't want to have the things I need and let it sit there 6 month's and then find more cheaper. I have to plan for this like an endurance race! There will be lot's of time and dollars involved and I am not going to get cheap on the project just to rush something I can't devote lot's of time to. Heck if I have to,I will graft my own Tyco to Tomy adaptor. I have done similar before and seen other's do the same. This is where Model Motoring experience comes into play. You don't have to get all ugly with a saw and glue,etc. Drill some holes and use a lock joiner,pins combo. Even if it is not perfect electrical flow is the task. You can talk about it like real racers's do,and refer to it like the bump or dip. Will follow up here shortly with some less than perfect schematics I have seen on building a Road Atlanta course. Want your opinions and thoughts on this too!

Comment

• Okay here is the road map by section I guess for Road Atlanta? I do not see the track section sizes in this however it looks to be for that purpose. While still probably not to scale it may have some benefit give or take some pieces? Kind of shrugged this off as a guide when I saw the dimension size,how could this factor actually be true? Am I missing something or is that a misprint?

Okay,does there seem something wrong about these dimensions,or is it the real deal? At 29x24 that is a huge footprint. Karl,if you want to dial up a Road America to this scale you better plan on 60x50 (lol)

Comment

• Just what I needed.

Here is the missing link for building this track. I have more Tyco than AFX/Tomy. Since it was suggested to me that I use more Tomy because of the selection I am now able to do so. Can't believe this is sold by AW,the company that is right on my doorstep! I saw a post asking for a similar adaptor on FB. I asked if there was one for Tyco to AFX/Tomy. Within 5 mins. I had the answer and a link to the auction for one. Fan freakin tastic! Now I can push on with this large build. I think it's great the pieces are only 3"s. Easy to slip in where you just need a bit more to connect. Not obtrusive to add like a 6 or 9" piece. Plus I get 2 pieces to start,stop! Can't wait to push on with this build. Looks like this one will be 100 to 120' of straight on track length. No need for any of that loop under and over track building.

Comment

• Nice find! I'm sure you know that there are AFX to TOMY adapters as well. Some of those turns look like they would benefit from the 18" radius TOMY sections like turn 9, perhaps, and maybe some of the esses.

I know the Road America track to scale would be huge, even in HO. My layout would only be 12' x 16' but would replicate the shape pretty well. I think my Road America diagram is on my old computer - I'll have to fire that up and save it off of there so I can post it on here for general interest.

Is your diagram of Road Atlanta done with HO track? A lot of the turns look like something from a larger scale with shorter than 1/8 circle curve track.

Good luck with the build. Hope to see some pics on here as you go through the process.

Karl

Comment

• I've used those adapter track sections, they work pretty good.

Comment

• Thanks guys! Yes there will be pics,plenty of them. No secrets here.I have all my spare track laid out and cleaned. I probably will be looking for more 12,15,18" curves? Whatever it takes to make it right. Karl,I have no idea about that diagram? It's just something I gleaned off the internet while looking up RA track ideas. So are you saying there is an adapter that connects snap lock AFX to modern AFX/Tomy? The only gold I have left laying around is an old set that converts Aurora pin lock to old school snap lock. Found that in an old Hobby store I used to visit.

Comment

Working...
                                X