Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, those adapters (AFX to TOMY) are available. A local hobby shop might have them, if not look online at slot car stores or eBay.

My track is mostly AFX but the 4' end from turn one up to the MG bridge is TOMY so I could use the 18"/15" (4 lane) turns in the fast esses at the end of the main straight. These adapters are also 3" straight sections.

Karl

Comment

• Road America Plan in HO

Here is a 4-lane likeness of the Road America track I've designed with Tomy track. The circles around the track joints indicate where custom cuts would be needed to do this plan.

This is obviously not to scale as a 4+ mile track in HO would take a huge space but this should create the "feel". The gentle curves have been ignored as there are no commercial HO track sections with a large enough radius. The overall table size is 12' x 16'

Karl

Comment

• That's nice,Karl. It looks pretty well thought out. I think I could do a decent Elkhart Lake on a 16x20' set of tables? Albeit a two lane version though. As you know the 4 laner is nice but takes up lots of space. I just never had a reason for more than 2 lanes,usually it's just me playing around or 1-2 friends. Never think I have had more than 4-5 people over at one time for racing.

Making custom track pieces is a good idea. Bet that takes some skill & time? I'm sure that's why many people opt for the routed track which is cool in it's own right. When it comes to doing these slot car projects I am kind of picky about originality and faithful reproductions. Even if no one else would know much difference,I would know the truth. Since it's my project and stuff I guess I have to be satisfied. Honestly it's a lot more fun just going free hand and making something up challenging. Nothing to replicate except the idea in your head. Even better if non permanent and once your bored change it again!

Comment

• Plastic or acrylic guard rails?

Originally posted by riggenracer View Post
          The two lane is a Bowman in my basement - yes, a basement in Florida.

The Brystal Scorpion is at a friends house.

We need RACERS!!

TF
          Hi everyone!

On page 11 of this thread, Riggenracer has white guard rails on his track, anyone knows if it's plastic or acrylic panels? I sent a pm to Riggenracer but since his post was made in 2007, I don't know if his still active on the forum.

Thanks!

Comment

• Welcome to the forums! We need more Canucks.(lol) I have not seen or heard of RiggenRacer but he was well before my time. Anyone else know who he is? Someone with a Russell last name?

Comment

• Originally posted by DavinciQc View Post
              Hi everyone!

On page 11 of this thread, Riggenracer has white guard rails on his track, anyone knows if it's plastic or acrylic panels? I sent a pm to Riggenracer but since his post was made in 2007, I don't know if his still active on the forum.

Thanks!
              That appears to be the Harden Creek raceway according to the pictures..... PM sent

Rob

Comment

• I can't believe it !

Okay Karl and others. I got my track adapter pieces the other day. Did not order from the site suggested to me as I found them cheaper elsewhere. Hey,4 bucks savings on price and shipping will be spent somewhere else! Look at how this was sent and I only paid 3.50 ship. UNBELIEVEABLE...

Comment

• So then here is the verdict on the R.A. build. Last Sunday my son came by and dropped his old Nascar Tyco set off. The one I bought him years ago as a kid.He is too old now and too cool to play with toys! He knew I needed more track so he donated it to me That being said and done I got together some more 9" and 15" straights and of course more 9" turns.

It looks like I need some 12" and 15" turns and if Tomy/AFX or Tyco does 18" turns that would be great. If anyone has extra of these 2 brands I would like to hear from you. I think about 4 of each would get me by for those soft winding turns. Thanks all...

Comment

• Originally posted by Old - Mech. View Post
                    So then here is the verdict on the R.A. build. Last Sunday my son came by and dropped his old Nascar Tyco set off. The one I bought him years ago as a kid.He is too old now and too cool to play with toys! He knew I needed more track so he donated it to me That being said and done I got together some more 9" and 15" straights and of course more 9" turns.

It looks like I need some 12" and 15" turns and if Tomy/AFX or Tyco does 18" turns that would be great. If anyone has extra of these 2 brands I would like to hear from you. I think about 4 of each would get me by for those soft winding turns. Thanks all...

I see some MDF, router and copper tape in your future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old - Mech. View Post
                      So then here is the verdict on the R.A. build. Last Sunday my son came by and dropped his old Nascar Tyco set off. The one I bought him years ago as a kid.He is too old now and too cool to play with toys! He knew I needed more track so he donated it to me That being said and done I got together some more 9" and 15" straights and of course more 9" turns.

FYI, AFX makes 18" curves.

https://afxracing.com/product/curve-18-radius-2/

Charlie

Comment

• Yes thanks,I did not feel like waiting for an answer so I Googled it. There was an old thread about it on Hobby Talk from 2007. The person doing most of the talking was Joe-GrandCheapskate who I never see here anymore.

Comment

• Funny, I was just thinking about him..... Hope he is well

Rob

Comment

• Realized I never posted pics of my track after landscaping. As always a work in progress.

Comment

• Nice and clean. Like your Dunlop bridge too. Good job.

Comment

• Outstanding track Teampiney!

Comment

Working...
                                X