No announcement yet.

Tyco 440x2 set up questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never touched the motor. Didn't bend the chassis either. Did work on the front rims to give a wider front track. Made my own double pickup springs as they hadn't been invented yet. My brush barrel spring preload trick is already posted. I did develop some sponge tires with custom rims that gave me an advantage. Note that this racing was in the before silicone-sponge times. Likewise my NDRA Cavalier body gave me an advantage as well. I built two identical cars with 0.005" differences in tire height. Once the package was developed those two cars were always in the A-Main and more frequently than not #1 overall.

I still have those two chassis and the two that replaced them. All four were race winners. One of these days I need to restore the original two back to running condition with correct bodies. Rear tires will have to be updated as silicone-sponge tires have replaced the old sponge tires + tire glue.
    Last edited by Maddman; 03-25-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, I also ran the two pickup shoe springs per side. Use to squeeze the little pickup shoe tabs in a touch to better capture the spring tips. I picked that up from someone else.

Steve, we had to have crossed paths a few times in the early 80's? I ran in a lot of the M.A.R.A. events. Guys like Tom Arthur, Tom Thompson, Bob Weichbrodt, etc. Once in awhile Norm Gardner would be at a race. Couple others that I can see their face, but can't remember their names. Tom Shepard? Does that name ring a bell? I was always a middle of the pack racing guy that could usually place in the top three in concourse. I would compete against guys like Ned Merrill<sp> and Bob Dame at times.

Comment

OK, if we are going full open kimono here how many of the old timers here de-wound their arms to get under 6 ohms resistance?
        Also, anyone change the comm timing?
        1> was never legal where i raced so never did it.
        2> i do not trust my skills

Comment

Fastlap. We may have. I moved to Michigan in the summer of 81. Before that I was a regular on the lllinois HOPRA circuit. I remember when Al Thurman started the Outlaw series that was the forerunner of MARA. Did you attend the MaDD/MARA challenge support races that were held at the 87 and 88 HOPRA nationals on my short oval?

Comment

Originally posted by Maddman View Post
            Fastlap. We may have. I moved to Michigan in the summer of 81. Before that I was a regular on the lllinois HOPRA circuit. I remember when Al Thurman started the Outlaw series that was the forerunner of MARA. Did you attend the MaDD/MARA challenge support races that were held at the 87 and 88 HOPRA nationals on my short oval?
            I remember Al. He was very fast!!! I came in after the Outlaw series, around '84-85-ish. My one and only HOPRA nationals I attended was in 2001 held in Mokena, IL. I was lucky enough to win the concourse championship.

DSC00754.JPG

Gary

Comment

Very nice. Never won concourse. It's harder than it looks. Al is still fast. He's currently in Arizona.
              Last edited by Maddman; 03-25-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

If I missed it being mentioned previously, apologies, but don't forget to try different size radius rear tires.
                The 440 is now a something like 37/38 year old design.

Comment

If the chassis is square and your'e not on an oval you don't need tire stagger.

Comment

Working...
                  X