Removing Paint from Sintra

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Paint from Sintra

I picked up the Gilmore track from Lonny Getso in Waxahachie yesterday, and today I am reassembling the table. The track needs a little TLC, the usual cleaning and working the electrical connections. A few of the turns have some paint to simulate the inside berms of a race track, and I don't like the red and yellow colors, or the width of the painted area (very wide). I think the paint is enamel, so my question is, what is safe to use on sintra to remove paint? I don't want to damage the track, or at least do as little harm as possible. Any suggestions?

Are you able to post pictures?

Comment

I'll try and post some pics later today. Had a busy and tiring but satisfying weekend.

Comment

Mike, Do you have a FB profile? Contact Brad Bowman and ask him. I would hazard to say that he would be the expert on Sintra or similar products?

Or, if the track sections are removable from the table, turn a section over and squirt some EasyOff oven spray on the back side to see what it does. Or any other type paint remover? Just thinking out loud to see what you think.

Gar

Comment

Acetone.

Comment

Gary - Even though I'm not a personal fan of social media, I do have a FB profile - "THORN Lubbock". I see you all the time on various pages )) Yes, I have track in sections at the moment, we had to completely dismantle the track and table to get everything in the pickup. Contacting Brad is a good idea.

Eric - I'll give it a try, thanks!
            Last edited by Backmarker; 04-08-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Try looking here: https://www.coleparmer.com/chemical-resistance
              Sintra is expanded PVC, according to the database acetone does not play well with PVC. My own experience with a track made of Sintra is not to put anything on the surface that you might want to remove later. Back when I first got my MaxTrax I used Magic Marker for the section markings, later on I wanted to change the markings, but I have never been able to remove them. Finally I went over the markings with gray paint. My section markers are now little sign posts at the edge of the track.

Comment

Thats what I was afraid of Rich - thanks for the link. It seems most chemicals don't play nice with Sintra.

Comment

What Rich said.....DO NOT use acetone.

Syntra is pretty flexible, you may try flexing it slightly in a few directions and trying to get under it with a dulled up exacto blade.

Comment

Its a Wizz Track, the rails are glued with epoxy. The epoxy was cleaned from the track surface with acetone.
                    You are wiping with a cloth and elbow grease. You will be fine.
                    I do think just like Rich the track will be stained from the color. It will take a coating to complete the finish.
                    Something I would try also is WD40 after the wipe of Acetone. WD is also a cleaner.

Comment

Excuse the mess in the background, I've still got junk to get rid of )) But here's a pic of the track laid out on the table, nothing connected yet. The black and white on the big turns is tape, and the yellow and red is the paint I want to remove. I want to paint the inside berms red and white, but about the same width as the tape. I've got other plans for the track as well, but that's probably for a different thread.Gilmore_rebuild_1.jpg
                      Last edited by Backmarker; 04-08-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Can't see the photo.

Comment

Sorry galerdude, had to resize the pic, thus the edit.

Comment

Have you tried 91% isopropyl alcohol? Seems everyone uses it for stripping paint off plastic bodies.
                            See Plate 9: https://d371dyuip757b1.cloudfront.ne...1%20052610.pdf . Apparently iso alcohol is no problem.

As for removing Magic Marker - try CRC Brakleen. It works on Sharpee; even removed it from my latex-painted cement fiber siding.

Comment

Isopropyl alcohol will not hurt the Sintra. You may have to soak the track to remove the paint. You would have to be careful not to remove the lane marking stripes as well. It might be easier to cover the original rumble strips with black paint and then add narrow rumble strips with white paint and red paint marker. Another possibility is to print the rumble strips on white decal paper.

Comment

Working...
                              X