No announcement yet.

Removing Paint from Sintra

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Rich, I straightened them as best as I could, I'd still like to have a handful of spare pins. All the lanes are wired and running, track has been thoroughly cleaned, and my brother and I turned our first laps on it last night. Now to get the timing system set up and mount the track. I've got some guys coming over for an informal race on Saturday to test everything out.

As for the paint, when I'm driving, I don't even notice it, It really only bothers me when I'm admiring my new baby, but as a guy who likes to add details to the track, I know it will bother me to no end unless I do something about it.

Comment

Although I hesitated a bit after Eric's concerns, I ended up sanding the existing paint smooth. I didn't remove all of it as I wanted to avoid digging into the Sintra as much as possible. I then spray painted the area with black satin enamel. Once the paint dried I used 1/2 inch white and red electrical tape to create the rumble strips. The tape surprisingly curved quite well without kinking up. Half the turns are finished, and I incorporated a "racing line", which is noticeable, even when driving my faster cars. I think the turns came out quite nicely. After a weekend of abuse, the tape is showing no signs of lifting.

Comment

Drat. having issues uploading a pic. Session keeps timing out.

Comment

Very cool. Glad you found a solution and the track is in safe condition.

Comment

Looks good, and I'm loving the racing line.

I have lots of other ideas!

Comment

Try reducing the size of your picture. Or, if using a phone to upload, connect it to you wifi.

Comment

Here it is - resizing did the trick Jim! Still a ways to go to get the track how I want it...

rumble strips 002.jpg

Comment

Wow! Great fix! That looks awesome!

Comment

sweet!!! Yeah, I love the racing lines too. good work.

Comment

Looking good. Yup, 1200 pixel wide limit here.
                      I'd love to have the room for a pro style track. Miss running on the Katz'.

Comment

Thanks guys. Had a guy on FB express concerns about traction, but I haven't noticed any handling issues, and lap times are consistent with what I was getting before the change. Even T-Jets run through the gutter lanes on the tape without any problems. Fast lap time with a Mega G 1.7 F-1 sporting Viper Razor front end and Viper S1 rear tires is 3.700 seconds. Smacked my polymod Super G+ into a wall and broke off a pickup hanger before I had the timing system installed, so no lap times available for anything faster than that (but it WAS moving considerably faster than the Mega G). My best bone stock T-Jet running at 6.5 - 6.6. I haven't made an "official" measurement of the lanes (Lonny Getso didn't know), but I estimate around 45 feet is the average.

Oh, and Jim, I had to "make room" lol

Comment

Working...
                        X