Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to interrupt the thread, Ed.

Originally posted by smalltime View Post
    Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; Today, 05:39 PM. Reason: ED - THERE WILL BE NO MORE AMAZON OR EBAY LINKS IN YOUR POSTS.

I understand your rules and the reasons for them. Even if I don't agree with either. But why was it necessary to berate one of the most knowledgeable constructors on this forum publicly? Couldn't this have been done privately?
    Frustration, is one answer. The fact is, Ed knows the SCI Rules; and yet, more often than any other member (or flocks of members, even) he posts links that are not allowed, particularly including eBay which there's even a specific rule about. It's a chronic problem.

Meanwhile, I spent half an hour of my Sunday afternoon, trying to edit his previous post with the Amazon link w/pictures embedded into it (I always try to keep the text of posts that I need to edit per the rules, rather than deleting entire posts) but without success so I had to delete it. Enough is enough, and I really don't like having to give people a time out for breaking the rules. Particularly someone like Ed, who contributes a great deal to these forums; I'm always learning something new from his posts and threads. But enough is enough, hence my 'reason for editing'.

Originally posted by smalltime View Post
    He was simply trying to help a fellow racer/constructor to find the stuff needed to complete his build. I thought this was what the forum was all about.
    Absolutely! And, there was nothing to prevent Ed from recommending Amazon or Walmart or Ebay as a source for this or that part. No rules about mentioning sources, only about links (which he could send - privately). But Alan (who pays for this whole place, we members merely have to agree to the rules) is the person to speak to if you think they're unfair; I would encourage you to do so. 1.253.255.1807
    Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; 04-15-2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I agree with Jim Mac. Get an R-GEO chassis jig and start with the Reimels articles on HOPRA. The Landshark build is a good place to start. That was my first build. Those articles gave me the basics I needed to start building and designing my cars. You also want to check out the picture section on the HOPRA website to see what has been competitive. As far as flux, you can get it from Lucky Bob.

Comment

Again, apologies to Wet Coast Racer, Alan, and everyone else.

Somewhere down the line I forgot that posting links to verboten web pages was, well, verboten. Mea culpa.

It reminds me what is taught in management training classes -- that your innovators frequently need to be reminded about the rules. Folks who are eager to go bushwacking off-trail sometimes need course corrections.

(Am I claiming to be an innovator? Well, dammit, I try to be.)

Given how often I have posted such links, I'm surprised it has taken so long for Wet Coast Racer to bring me up short. I suppose I have enjoyed some indulgence in that direction. Probably for too long.

A previous post was an exercise in trying to provide explicit information while still coloring within the lines. A somewhat tortuous exercise. But I feel I owe my readers as much good information as I can provide, especially when it comes to tools, materials and techniques. I don't want to leave folks guessing.

That attitude goes back a long way. It started when I was publishing in the '60's and '70's.

I am going to try to be a good citizen.

Funny story. In my 'Car Model' days I ran into the opposite issue. Whenever I mentioned 'brass tubing' in my articles, the Car Model editor turned that into 'K&S brass tubing'. I never minded that, but it made it clear that Car Model and K&S were kanoodling under the table.

Ed Bianchi
        Last edited by HO RacePro; 04-16-2019, 06:11 AM.

Comment

While we're on the topic of Gravity....

Gravity Racing of New England (GRoNE) will be hosting a Gravity race at Modelville/LenJet in Ashland MA May 4th. Doors open at 8:00 AM. We follow HOPRA rules for our classes which will be:

Gravity (Might have 2 races with this class)
          Vintage T-Jet (aka Fray)

There will be loaner cars available. If you are building cars and you are in the area, come out and show us what you've got. If you're interested in trying or seeing these cars, come on down and we'll get you on the track.

Comment

OK.... Get an R-GEO chassis jig and start with the Reimels articles on HOPRA.

Question.... is the R-GEO chassis jig in HO scale?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HObro View Post
              Question.... is the R-GEO chassis jig in HO scale?

Thanks!
              I was wondering the same thing... I'd like something I can build up to 1/24 with!

Comment

Just a thought, but why not initiate a new Thread in Tech Q&A, entitled 'Chassis Jigs' or like that? I don't recall anybody doing so previously on SCI, and it could prove useful to a bunch of slotsters in different scales because for sure there will be lotsa folks out there with recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by dinglebery View Post
                  I was wondering the same thing... I'd like something I can build up to 1/24 with!
                  I'm not aware of anyone who makes a jig that covers HO to 1/24. R-GEO does make a HO chassis jig. That is what I use.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying SSR, I am contacting them. Appreciate the help!

Comment

No problem. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Comment

Working...
                      X