Tyco Magnum 440 hop ups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyco Magnum 440 hop ups

Hey guys I was just wondering wether anyone ever made upgraded traction magnets for the first gen 440 chassis? Seems all the other platforms including the HP7 got an upgraded magnet set but these never did. I get the x2ís superceded it but there were probably quite a few of these made. Seem to be the common give away chassis anytime you buy a F1/Indy car. They are just about as quick as a wide pan x2 in a straight line but come off the corners really easy.

Some years ago I bought extra 440X-2 chassis and traction magnets and converted all of my 440s to that standard. The upgraded magnets for Tomy Turbo cars are small neos in a plastic holder. SRT cars used those. Scale Auto has the magnets, I am not certain that the holder would be included. The holder/magnet assembly might fit in a 440 chassis, I will have to check on that. You could just glue the magnets in place. The AFX Mega G+ uses about the same magnets, I don't know if those are available as replacement parts, but there are plenty of places that sell all sorts of neo magnets. Harden Creek has SRT and Mega G+ neo traction magnets, some of those include plastic spacers.
    With neo magnet you may actually get too much downforce causing the car to bog down and overheat. If you are gluing them in you may not want them to be flush with the bottom of the car. A little experimentation may be in order.

Comment

Excellent insight, thanks. I wondered if a Tomy Turbo magnet could be modified to work as well. A custom job seems likely.

Comment

Rich was talking about the SRT (Super Racing Turbo) chassis, which does indeed use dual neo magnets in a plastic holder. However I think what you're talking about is the earlier incarnation of that chassis (the normal Turbo), which came with a single ceramic bar magnet with a notch in it, similar to the 440. There is a stronger, polymer hop-up magnet available, unfortunately the Tomy magnet is taller and thinner and the proportions are off enough that it would be a tall order shaving it down to fit in the TYCO chassis.

I've had mixed success experimenting over the years, as I too wanted a bit more out of mine. Everything on the 440 is interchangeable with the X2 except the rear bulkhead and the chassis frame itself, so you basically just have to concentrate on the traction magnets. It's easier to shape plastic than ceramic, so I started this one by filing some slots in the rear of the chassis.

This first try used old TYCO HP-2 traction magnets in the same layout as a Wizzard or BSRT/Viper/Super G+ chassis for max downforce. This one uses an X2 bulkhead with a 440 bar magnet chassis. Not recommended, since the bulkhead tabs don't quite line up the same way.

The magnets were flush with the bottom of the chassis, and I glued them and the rear bulkhead into the chassis frame. This made removing the motor a giant pain.

The HP-2 magnets weren't very strong, and I wanted to go faster. This is the 2nd attempt with cheapo neo magnets from K&J. I've upgraded just about everything on it over the years, and I think the only things remaining from these old pics are the chassis frame, bulkheads, and magnets. Been through a couple sets of pickup shoes on it too, so you know it's gotten some miles.

The orange is some scrap plastic I used to build up and strengthen the area, fine tuned flush with the bottom again using cut up sections of those plastic motor guards. I made sure to leave the rear bulkhead UN-glued from the chassis frame this time around, and I can still take it apart (carefully) and change things more like a normal chassis. This was my fastest 440 at one point, and is still one of my top 5 fastest of all time. It doesn't get run much anymore though, because the chassis frame is visibly sagging under all the downforce. I had a different one built up awhile back with thinner neo magnets (half the thickness you see here, 3/32" I think) and it was much more balanced--faster than a stock X2 but not nearly as much grip as this one. Like Rich said, it definitely helps if you get a good motor, some of the stock Magnum 440 motors are great with ceramic magnets but will become completely gutless under neos.

It mostly looks like this today except taller tires to keep it from dragging on the rails. It's a beast.

I also tried Mega G (actually JAG TR-3) neo magnets...

...which ended in disaster (not the fault of the magnets)

Attached Files
        Last edited by el gecko; 06-17-2019, 05:34 PM.

Comment

A Tomy Turbo magnet would not be any stronger than a 440 magnet. I believe that the Tomy SRT cars were developed to use most of the parts from the obsolescent Turbo cars with the most important change being the neo magnets in a plastic holder. I think that you would be better off if you did not modify the 440 chassis. Another thing to consider would be polymer magnets, those are part way in strength between ceramic and neodymium magnets and in a pinch you can sand them to fit. The 440X2 cars can't tolerate much more than the stock traction magnets without overheating. You would run into the same problem with any type of traction magnet upgrade in a 440 unless you also use a custom wound armature.

Comment

You don't need to use a "custom wound" armature, or anything really that exotic. The 3.5 ohm "high speed" replacement arms from JAG and Harden Creek are plenty strong enough, especially if you also use upgraded motor magnets. That's what's in the beast above, and like I said, still one of my fastest cars, years after coming into existence.

I agree that the Turbo ceramic magnet wouldn't be an upgrade on the 440, but I disagree that it would be easy to file down one of the poly magnets.

These neo cars were made to see the absolute performance potential of the 440. The neo magnets I used were intentionally long, intended to mimic a Wizzard or SG+ style chassis, but there is a middle ground. K&J has magnets of all shapes and sizes, so one could go with something half as long and half as thick (3/32") to get it tuned for performance closer to an X2, without needing to upgrade the rest of the car. A smaller magnet would fit in the existing hole so there would be no need to modify the chassis frame itself, as I've done with the larger magnets.

Probably easiest would be to design a 3D printed holder for Mega G mags or some easy-to-get standard size from K&J. The 440 Magnum would then essentially become an open frame Mega G in terms of performance. Similar to what Tomy did to make the Turbo into the SRT (a replacement for the stock SRT neo holder would be a good idea too, as those are prone to breakage and impossible to find).
            Last edited by el gecko; 06-18-2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

It just so happens that I work in complex analysis and we will br acquiring a 3D printer shortly. Might be just the ticket for magnet holders and possibly ďjunkerĒ bodies for noobs to practice with.

Itís a shame that getting an upgraed magnet takes so much modification. I will likely just run the 440 stock as a learning chassis.

Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Working...
              X