New Wizzard Fusion Car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wizzard Fusion Car

I just got a link to a Facebook page with this new Wizzard Fusion HO car.

The new car seems to have features of both the Tyco and Slottech cars plus the BSRT G3 or Viper Scale Racing Viper. The end bell is a separate part like a Tyco 440X-2 or a Slottech. It looks like the molded in body posts have the same arrangement as a G3 or Viper. The magnet retainer is similar to the G3 and Viper arrangement. The pickup shoes and shrouded front shoe hangers look like the ones on a Viper car.
    The novel feature is the motor brush springs. I can't make out the pickup shoe springs, I presume they are similar to Tomy, G3 and Viper springs.
    I will have to get one of these to see how it runs!

At a glance ...

The cool part appears to be that the "big brush" guide and the shoe hanger are one piece. It's kinda hiding in plain sight. So, there be a left side and a right side part.

Three wheel base positions and three guide pin positions ... nice!

That ragged edge gear mesh is pretty shakey looken'.

Not sure about those easily serviced, but with no redundant method of retention motor brush springs. A bit delicate maybe.
    Last edited by model murdering; 06-23-2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

In the second photo you can see just a bit of a coil spring under the right-hand pickup. So, conventional design there.

On the first and third photos you can see a small nick in the armature stack, which I assume is an indication that the armature has been balanced. There are cutouts top and bottom giving you access to the commutator for inspection and cleaning.

In the third photo the reaction ends of the torsion springs contact the pickup hangers differently -- not sure if that is by design. In the first photo you can see the end of a motor brush, which looks square in section, with ribs to retain the business end of the torsion spring.

The whole front end of the chassis looks overbuilt to me. Admittedly this is a magnet car, but the front of the chassis should not be heavily loaded. For the Mark 2 I think they could shave some weight from the front of the chassis and the endbell.

Ed Bianchi

Comment

Its a very interesting design. The brush holders are probably metal that is inserted into the endbell. If so there is a left and right piece. If it what I think it is the 1/24th type motor brush package should be top notch. It might be overbuilt for stock and superstock however I don't mind the extra reinforcement. With plastic any weight penalty is minimal and reliability as opposed to weight is key. Its definitely not overbuilt for CMPM or NEO..

The traction magnet retainer uses a novel method to locate the magnets. Could be a better solution than the one used by BSRT and Viper who basically cloned the Tomy design.

Comment

If you look carefully at the third picture I believe that you can make out a rectangular motor brush holder that fits in the endbell. The left and right holders could be identical. In the second picture you can see the ends of the shoe springs. The endbell could possibly pop out in a crash, that happens with souped up Tyco cars unless you use a clip or glue in the endbell.

Comment

The shoe spring design takes the spring out of the circuit. The shoe connects to the brush assembly. For the most part from rail to brush. The spring on the shoe only is used for tension.
            The chassis has a lower center of gravity and is half a gram lighter than any HO car on the market. The chassis has been tested with multiple wall shots. has been reported results are impressive. Surpassed expectations.
            While only a ceramic version is available at this time, 90 days will change all that. C4, level 10 and neo magnets are on the way.
            Testing of the chassis with ceramics is giving impressive lap times.
            This car is very interesting.
            It features body tubs in a standard position, all bodies will interchange all chassis.
            Use of a body clip, if a hard body is mounted is a sweet addition to a Wizzard car.
            There is more to come with parts and testing.

Comment

Are these for sale yet? I checked the Wizzard site and the Fusion car was not listed there, there was no ordering information on the Wizzard Facebook page either. I guess that I will have to call and ask.

Comment

No Rich, RC has them at the HOPRA nats this week. They are being submitted for inspection, there will be a few sold this week in Wisconsin but complete line of cars and parts will be in the coming weeks.
                As always, best to call for the most updated correct information.
                Last edited by Eric Peterson; 06-24-2019, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Oh, Chassis has pre drilled hole and dimple locations for reinforcement of bulk heads, axle. This chassis is made for racing.
                  Check out the motor magnets and tractions. They work in any direction you place them. They flip. This is like a Foose car, it will take a while to see everything that is in here.

Comment

On Facebook RC states that the motor brush spring is "out of the circuit". My guess is that the motor brushes are carried by a metal tube which fits into the front bulkhead and is part of (or connected to) the pickup hanger. This shunts all the power around the motor brush spring. It also prevents the bulkhead from melting from motor brush heating when high amp motors are installed. The pickup hanger also serves as the pickup spring rest and provides redundant current paths from pickup to motor brush. The front bulkhead is designed to be secured to the chassis by two screws per side for applications such as NEO racing. The chassis also accommodates rear axle retainers. Didn't see the ability to flip the magnets but on a second look they can be oriented either up or down. Very cool. Looks like a very well thought out design.

Comment

Yes. The guide, the hanger, and the upper perch for the shoe spring look like a one piece stamping. You can clearly see the guide surrounding the brush at the comm. The shoe hanger fades down and away from the guide at 45 degrees, before dropping straight down. The upper spring perch folds over forward from the intersect point of the 45 degree connector and the actual perpendicular hanger portion. A nifty bit of Oragami.

Reminds grampa of those "spacial interpretation puzzles" on the old SAT.

Got it. My initial confusion on the motor brush isolation stemmed from the visual above where driver side motor brush spring tail is improperly installed under the the pick up shoe spring perch. See? Note that the brush spring on the other side is not under the perch. The motor brush spring tail actually is intended to go into the small notch on the backside of the rearmost dowels on the bulkhead. Hence the second set of pegs
                      Last edited by model murdering; 06-24-2019, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Yeah I do see how the spring looks to be under the lever driver side. I think it rests on the top.

Comment

Hopefully Rich will forgive me for swiping his pix and scribbling on them.

The spring retainer pegs are a bit lost when the rig is assembled. See the little notch (spring perch) on the back side?

The out board peg is right up against the bulkhead indexing cleat on the inner chassis rail when the end bell is installed. We cannot see the seated portion of right side motor brush spring tang, as it is occluded; but it's safe to assume it's sitting in it's perch, given the nice horizontal position of the coil end of the tang that we can see. The left side motor brush spring tang is jammed under the pick shoe spring perch. The empty perch for the motor brush spring is easy to see.

So we have one side with the spring out of the current path as was intended, and the other side APPEARS to be current enabled.
                          Last edited by model murdering; 06-24-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Using the motor brush torsion springs as an alternate electrical conduction path would be a good thing -- reducing electrical resistance and providing redundancy -- except for one possible downside. If a large amount of current ends up passing through the springs they might overheat and anneal, losing their spring properties.

(Reminds me of something I saw when I was still quite young. Somehow a spring in an HO railcar truck short-circuited the layout, glowing bright red for a moment then burning out.)

Magnet cars probably draw enough current to overheat said springs if they are the only conduction path, so using them as a backup for the primary conduction path isn't a good idea.

On the other hand, just relying on incidental contact between the motor brushes and their brush tubes doesn't seem to be enough. True, there may be some wedging effect once the brushes have worn in. But I still would like some spring force to provide compliance and reliable contact.

Ideally the brushes should have wires attached to them which could be screwed down to a contact, but to date nobody has come up with a way to miniaturize this otherwise common practice.

It still surprises me that soldering wires between the pickups and the brush contacts is not allowed. It would fix basic weaknesses in HO slotcar design. I was doing that on T-jets back in the dark ages. I never did understand why it fell by the wayside. Maybe just because some folks felt soldering was a black art? Dunno.

Ed Bianchi

Comment

Ed B. "On the other hand, just relying on incidental contact between the motor brushes and their brush tubes doesn't seem to be enough. True, there may be some wedging effect once the brushes have worn in. But I still would like some spring force to provide compliance and reliable contact."

Of course Ed is right. As a victim ....er .... veteran of an electric motor shop, I thought same; but we'll see. One could bend the spring tang down at a 90 degree angle, so that the tail drops into the hole on top of the pick up shoe spring perch; and thus re- enable the secondary current path with relative ease.

Comment

Working...
                              X