Mega G and Mega G+ Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega G and Mega G+ Question

I just completed painting two resin Formula 1 bodies (Brabham BT50 and Lotus 79) that use the Mega G 1.7 Long chassis. I will use two cars for my static pit scene so donít need a running chassis but I will also prepare more bodies that will be runners.

I collected five Mega G chassis when they came out years ago but wanted a few more for running. But I noticed that they have been replaced by the Mega G+ that features the can motor. I suspect these will not fit to the F1 bodies. My questions:

Does the Mega G+ chassis have the same envelope of the Mega G?

If too large, can I remove the can motor and use the bare chassis under my static cars?

I will continue to look for Mega G chassis on the auction sites but if anyone knows of another source please let me know.

Thanks.

F1 Cars by bonez 300, on Flickr
    Last edited by Bonez; 07-01-2019, 06:16 AM.

The bodies may work on a Mega G+ chassis, the only possible problem would be the ground wire that is soldered to the top of the motor case. If there is a clearance problem you might get by if you can grind away a little material from the inside of the body. If you are not worried about RFI you could remove the wire, the car will run OK without it, otherwise the wire could be moved to a location where it does not cause a clearance problem.

Comment

The Mega G long wb does turn up on the bay, right now there is a set of 4 cars, person is asking $47. My understanding is the Racemasters (AFX) OEM open wheel bodies are backwards compatible, but not forwards compatible, but with resin as Mr. Rich D suggests you might be able to trim. So the can motor does take up more vertical space, to put it simply.

Comment

Hey, I know those bodies. Those are FastBodies.....lol. Ok, now to get serious and answer your questions.

A few of my open wheel bodies are very close to being able to fit the Mega G+ chassis. But as Rich stated, you'll have to remove the green wire from the top of the can. The BT50 is very close, however, if you're not extremely careful with the dremel, you'll barely start to grind through at the rear of the engine cowling. There is enough resin to grind away at the front of the can and the can tabs. The rear tabs are what is close. The Lotus 79 has lots of resin to grind away, but you may run into thin areas where the engine cowling transition into the top of the sidepods.

Hopefully, this next few sentences will make it easier for you? If you don't mind waiting a couple months, I will be starting up my FastBodies production again. Remember, I shut down the operations when I moved to a different house last August? Anyhow, at that time, I was working on making some of my open wheel bodies compatible to fit both the G and the G+. With the newer style glue-in mounts I was making, this way you can mount the bodies on either chassis.....as long as you don't mind losing the green wire.

I will post a few pics tonight to show you the couple bodies I was working on.

Gary

Comment

Nice to hear you've settled in to the point you are eyeballing mothballed projects Gar. I miss show and tell, and of course periodic updates.

I dont know about everyone else but my chassis with green wires have a pretty humongous dollop of solder affixing the ground that looks like it was done with a plumbers torch. Rather than firing into that can with heat and risk dumbing down the already weak ceramic motor magnets, or compromising the epoxy they're bonded in with; I just break or clip the wire and dress that blob down with a file or the dremel

Bill
          Last edited by model murdering; 07-01-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I actually have no intention of using the Mega G+ as a runner - only to use for my static pit scene. I cannot find any Mega G chassis so that is why I am looking at the Mega G+ as a static chassis only.

But it looks like if I remove the can motor the remaining chassis will fit my bodies. Then I can reserve my five Mega G chassis for my runners.

Gary - I really like how these bodies turned out. They also happen to be some of my favorite F1 cars. Will you be making any others from that era (1974-1984)? The cars look great on my scenic track.

Comment

Originally posted by model murdering View Post
              I just break or clip the wire and dress that blob down with a file or the dremel

Bill
              This is exactly what I do. Just clip and file/grind off the solder from the top of the can.

Bill, hopefully I'll be back thrashing again soon in the ol' workshop. Getting close. I have most of the LED lights installed in the track room. I will be buying the remaining sheets of drywall, etc. to complete the new walls. Then on to making the saw horses for the track table supports. Amazing how much effort I am putting into the "hobby room". Although, this will be my little domain upon entering retirement....lol.

Gar

Comment

Originally posted by Bonez View Post
                I actually have no intention of using the Mega G+ as a runner - only to use for my static pit scene. I cannot find any Mega G chassis so that is why I am looking at the Mega G+ as a static chassis only.

But it looks like if I remove the can motor the remaining chassis will fit my bodies. Then I can reserve my five Mega G chassis for my runners.

Gary - I really like how these bodies turned out. They also happen to be some of my favorite F1 cars. Will you be making any others from that era (1974-1984)? The cars look great on my scenic track.
                Bonez,

Yes, the chassis mounting locations are almost exactly the same between the G and G+ chassis. So a blank G+ will do just fine for you static models. Just a suggestion, there are blank G+ chassis available at jag hobbies under the Tomy parts section. Of course you would have to add tires/wheels and axles.

I'm glad you like those bodies. The BT50 actually started as a "one off" for our UK slotter Deane. It turned out nicer than expected as far as proportions and esthetics. I will definitely be doing this one to fit the green wireless G+ chassis. I'll be adding a front wing version too. My thought is that body with a front wing on it would look good with Ferrari and Renault liveries. We'll see. I have already made a Lotus 79 with a single rear wing strut which makes the car look different. I'm thinking more along the lines of a early '80's Williams, Renault, etc. I spent the entire day in the service department yesterday in the 95+ heat index. I was totally spent last night. That's why I didn't dig out the projects to post photos. I'll give that a try in the next day or two.

Gar

Comment

Oh, if you do use blank G+ chassis, if you're never going to use it again to put a motor back in it, shave the motor tabs off. This would give you oodles of room that would accept any of my open wheel bodies.

On a different note, let me ask you a question. How many of the static model are you planning on making? If it's a decent amount, maybe I can come up with a resin "dummy" chassis that you can use instead of buying expensive chassis'. Of course, you would still have to come up with wheels and tires. I'm sure you can use thin finishing nails for axles?

I might even be able to make resin wheel/tires which would save a bundle. Let me think this through.

Last edited by fastlap; 07-02-2019, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I measured the height of a Mega G VS a Mega G+. The Mega G is 0.371" from the bottom of the chassis, the armature stacks are the high spot. The Mega G+ is 0.396" to the top of the can, but it is 0.425" to the top of the blob of solder.
                    It would be tempting to make a chassis out of architectural 6063 aluminum U-channel, that costs about $6.15 for 4 feet, however you would still need axles, wheels and tires for a total of $8.50. JAG Hobbies has a bare long Mega G+ chassis for $6.
                    Last edited by RichD; 07-02-2019, 08:25 AM.

Comment

The HWP chassis are lower, and you can buy clips to fit various other chassis.

Comment

The total height of any M series mini-motor chassis should be the same. The SL 1&2 are .388 from the bottom frame rail to the ceiling of the can, interestingly so is MG+ minus the blob, imagine that. We already know that the original Megas were lower in the first place, because there is no added dimension for the thickness of the can. Actually a most interesting concept. Practically a constant one could use when building .... cough cough.

Can you please give us a quick measurement and tell us exactly which model you are referring to, in order to substantiate your claim? I'm certain we'd all be very curious to see the lowest of the low documented here.

Some actual math rather than an unsubstantiated claim with no supportive math, would go a long ways.

Comment

I have a large pit scene that features nine vintage Aurora Garage structures. I have created the scene as if it was being used during an historic racing weekend gathering. Hence, the mixture of various years and types.

It would be fantastic to produce many historic bodies of 1965-1972 LeMans prototypes and 1975-1984 Formula 1 cars. So many to choose from and I suspect you may have many sales for us modelers.

Here is my pit scene:

Pit Scene 002 by bonez 300, on Flickr

Pit Scene 003 by bonez 300, on Flickr

Pit Scene 004 by bonez 300, on Flickr

Pit Scene 006 by bonez 300, on Flickr

Pit Scene 007 by bonez 300, on Flickr

You can see the whole build thread here:

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...oject-progress
                          Last edited by Bonez; 07-02-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Duplicate post
                            Last edited by fastlap; 07-02-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Here is one I was working on last year. While this mold produces what I would call close to a '82 Wildcat raced mostly by Mario and Gordie, there are a few liveries out there that would work well with this. Remember, you can sand or shape the resin a little to give the illusion of different model cars. This, as you can see is a body that fits over the Mega G+ with the green wire removed. So, it can also be a runner. The '80-82 Williams F1 livery would look good on this body also. IMPORTANT!!!! This body was made from the Lotus 79 FastBodies model.

mario2.jpg 20190702_213943_resized.jpg 20190702_213915_resized.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X