X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Twins

Very interesting

Comment

Pretty wild. Does it spin the tires a bit?

Comment

That's cool!

Comment

Hobro-Ivo !

How about a couple more angles?

Comment

I notice the crown gears are oriented opposite one another. That eliminates the need for any other axle-centering features, which produce losses due to friction against the armature shaft or the rear axle bushings. The sideways thrust of the crown gears cancel out each other. I haven't done the math, but I believe that feature will result in higher mechanical efficiency of the drive.

(And before He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named claims MM stole his idea, I'm going to jump in and claim I thought of it first, and that I'm claiming license fees and royalties retroactive to the beginning of time.)

One complication of this setup... If the motors have advanced commutator timing, it needs to be in opposite directions, since the motors have to turn in opposite directions.

Another, somewhat minor, advantage of this setup -- the torque reactions of the two motors cancel out. As do the gyroscopic forces. There may be a small advantage in terms of handling.

I'm very interested in how this package performs. And how long it takes for outraged rule-makers to ban this car and cast it into the outer darkness.

Ed Bianchi

Comment

I think the Tyco pinions would be a weak spot. The gravity aspect would help the pinions but, they don't take abuse like a RPM pinion will take. Nice car to see. Like a twin screw sea boat

Comment

Tyco pinions? I would guess Life-Like T car pinions.

Comment

A ice cold bottle of water says its tyco, sleeve on the shaft to accept the .059 hole.

Comment

Unless the motors are "phased" exactly, this experiment seems to be doomed.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

Thank You.

Thom

Comment

Originally posted by phnz up View Post
                      Unless the motors are "phased" exactly, this experiment seems to be doomed.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

Thank You.

Thom
                      I think the rear wheels are both on the same solid axle, not independent. So the slower or less powerful motor just adds to the power/speed of the better one. My curiosity (haven't bothered doing the math yet) is whether to wire the motors in series or parallel, and the tradeoffs involved...

Definitely outside the box with this one, love the ingenuity and engineering that went into it

Comment

Slot car motors are "single phase". The only concern when used in tandem is "polarity", so that they work cooperatively; rather than stalemating. As Ed astutely pointed out, with both crowns outboard, the motors have to turn opposite to one another to make the crowns rotate in the same direction. It's a mechanical thang!

The better motor will be dragged down to the performance level of the lesser.

I'm at a loss to remember the creator of the famous twin motor 1/24 chassis from the golden era. For some reason I recollect that he was Swedish or Danish.

For giggles, search "dual motor slotcar chassis" and brace for impact!
                        Last edited by model murdering; 08-04-2019, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Possibly Garvic had the twin motored chassis? They certainly had the habit of doing things "off center" especially during the "Thingy" time frame.

Comment

Ronny Hellquist of Sweden built the 2-motor 1/24 car mm spoke about above.

Comment

Thanx Bill! Occasionally the lens cap is left on my photographic memory.

Note the tandem pinion/crown relationship, rather than mirrored. Either way works.

Im curious about H0bro's driving impressions!

Comment

Working...
                              X