This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resin Casting Projects

I have started this thread for anyone that has projects they would like to share with everyone,I will be posting some pictures this coming week of some of my own.Show us what you are working on!!!

casting thread Yeah!

Excellant
    I will be watching this thread closely. Keep the projects coming. I hope one day my stuff is good enough to post.

Ted

Comment

I just finished a Chevy Laguna S3 that will fit short wheelbase Tyco or AFX / Tomy:

'doba

Comment

OUTSTANDING!! ARE YOU GOING TO SELL THESE? IF SO, I'LL BE GLAD TO BUY A FEW. I HAVE A LOAD OF THE TYCO CHASSIS THIS SHOULD FIT. PM ME IF YOU LIKE.

CHRIS IN NH :US

Comment

Slosh and 2 part

Here are some pics of my first attempts at resin casting. Lots to learn still.
          First 2 pics are slosh cast, the rest are a 2 part mold.

Ted

Comment

wow!

Outstanding!!!! You seem to have gotten as far in your first attempt as some do after trying for months/years. Great job.

What supplies are you using for silicone RTV and resin? Can you take a pic of the male mold sitting in the female mold section before pouring? Or are you pouring the resin in the female cavity, then pressing the male section into it? Just curious as to your style at this point.

Again, outstanding job Ted!!!!

Gar

Comment

Fastlap:

Thanks for the comments. Means a lot coming from you as I've seen some of your work.

Right now I am using Smooth -on products, ReoFlex -30 for the rtv ( it's a urethane, mixed 1 to 1, as you probably know) for the molds and some really old Smooth Cast 320 resin I should have thrown out years ago. I used it to make some HO railroad buildings. The ReoFlex is new.

No point in taking another pic as I am just pouring in the mixed resin and squezzing in the male part of the mold. The pics are of the second attempt. The first didn't come out well as forgot to put in enough release agent. For that I am using a Mann Release product called Ease Release 800 in a spray can. I spray it on then brush it into the mold making sure it gets into the corners well.
              I learned that from the first failure.

Squezzing in the male mold makes a big mess, so I'll have to learn to make the mold so I can pour it directly in.

I would like to try some fresher resin as this stuff bubbles up pretty bad, and will get some next time in the Big City!! Any suggestions?

I also want to try some silicone rtv, for the 2 part mold.

I learned a lot from your blog. Thanks

The body you see is unusable as it has bubbles and too many thin spots but it's a start, and was exciting to make. Not so hard either.

Ted

Comment

Great!!

Great job,You will find different tricks as you go as to what works best for the resins you are using,When i first started I made a mess when placing the male half in.After some experimenting I found just the right amount to use and not waste half of it oosing out.Keep up the great work!!!

Trey

Comment

Working on a '71 Charger oval track racer now -- fits long wheelbase Tyco / Mattel:

'doba

Comment

Originally posted by SGTGRIMREAPER View Post
                    OUTSTANDING!! ARE YOU GOING TO SELL THESE? IF SO, I'LL BE GLAD TO BUY A FEW. I HAVE A LOAD OF THE TYCO CHASSIS THIS SHOULD FIT. PM ME IF YOU LIKE.

CHRIS IN NH :US
                    Sure will Chris -- Thanks.

Let me crank a few out and I'll PM you soon.

Thanks,
                    'doba

Comment

sticky?

Maybe we can get the mods to make this a sticky? Seems as though one of us has one or two projects going at any given time. Think the mods will see this????? Or do we PM them?

Comment

I'm always amazed at what people can do. Well done lads. Ted you're getting back into this whole hog aren't you? Keep posting boys, I learn more everyday. Now to get some time to try a few...

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by fastlap View Post
                          Maybe we can get the mods to make this a sticky? Seems as though one of us has one or two projects going at any given time. Think the mods will see this????? Or do we PM them?
                          Gary,
                          I thought the same thing when I started this thread,It will be used by alot of us and will be pretty popular I think.

Comment

'doba.

nice!!!

I like the idea of a sticky too.

Ted

Comment

made the requset

Ok, I PM'd a mod to request this be made a permanent sticky. Cross your fingers.

On a different note, here is a link to a Yahoo Group page. You will have to register on Yahoo to access this. This is the tutorial I directed Ted to before he made his first 2-part mold. My user name there is "fastlap1955". The name of this group is "hoslotcarcasting". In the "photos" link on the left side of the page I have two albums. One named "Fastlap", and the other "Mold Making Process". Hope it helps others?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hoslot...34464/pic/list

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X