mega g champ cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mega g champ cars

I got the international set with the 4 champ cars. These are 1.7 mega g's correct?
    they do not appear like the 1.7 i read about. there are no removable bulkheads.
    they look more like the 1.5 that i see pictures of but longer??

Exactly! They are as you describe.

Comment

how come when i buy the tuneup kit it comes with bulkheads and 1.7 shoes?

Comment

The first batch of mega -g cars had the bulkheads and some other differences in the magnet holding area. The newer cars are without the bulkheads and are changed somewhat in the magnet holding area. The kits you got have the parts needed to replace parts that wear out in the old style chassis. Just use the parts you need and save the rest. Here's a pic. the old chassis is on the left and the new is on the right
        hope you can see the differences ok I got a pretty poor camera.
        Ted

Comment

The car that I have looks like the one on the left. There is no front bulkhead as such, the front bushing snaps into the chassis. The rear bulkhead also serves as a retainer for the motor and traction magnets.

Comment

yea mine are the ones on the right. They must have made a design change when they did the 1.5's because the new 1.7's look just like em, except longer.

thanks for the response guys.

Comment

Good Job, Tsooka . . .

I think I may have explained some of this a few months ago but frankly, as nutty as this past year has been, maybe I didn't. So here we go . . .

1) Bulkheads or no: Tsooka came pretty close to nailing it. The original Mega-G had bulkheads at the front and rear of the armature. The rear bulkhead also held the ground effects magnets in place which made it pretty easy to remove or change those magnets. In 2008, as a result of a "groundbreaking" safety law by our crack legislature, we had to re-design the chassis to make the ground effects magnets un-removeable for safety reasons. (Not one life has been saved and no injuries have been prevented but, on the other hand, billions of dollars have been lost, thousands of companies are out of business and many tens of thousands of jobs were lost so hey, we accomplished something, right?).

The bad news is that it is now much harder for people to remove the ground effect magnets to replace them with weights, etc. The good news is that we reverted to our original design which removes the bulkheads reducing size of the chassis "envelope". Even though the reduction in area is small (thousandths of an inch) it can have a big effect in allowing additional area of detail in the vicinity of the cockpit. So something good did result.

2) Tuning Ups: The tune-up kits for the Mega-G cars that have been available to date were made for the long wheelbase (MG 1.7) Mega-G chassis. Although only a small fraction of consumers would need to replace the bulkheads we decided to include them in the kit - just in case. In the past year we have introduced the short wheelbase Mega-G chassis (MG 1.5) which uses a different length pick up shoe and, in that same period, the bulkheads have gone away. With all of the other regulatory issues we and the factory have been dealing with over the past year, I am afraid we haven't gotten the new kits out earlier in the year. Very sorry for that.

The new kits will not include bulkheads but will have TWO pair of pick up shoes, one short and one long, so they can be used for either length chassis. Obviously, if all you own is short WB chassis', you will have a bunch of spare long WB pick up shoes. But that seems preferable to having two separate tune up kits.

The new tune up kits are much delayed but are currently scheduled to arrive in the US around the first week in December of this year.

3) SI Mega-Gs: The new Super International set (part number 71241) has MG 1.7 wheelbase chassis'. They may look like the 1.5s because, without the bulkheads, they appear shorter. At least they do to me . . .

I hope this information helps. As I mentioned, the past year (and more) has been an interesting challenge and I haven't done as good a job as I should have communicating the changes and issues. Sorry! I'll try to do better.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve

Comment

Steve:

It would appear that if bulkheads had to be eliminated for safety then the removable tires, removable guide pin and removable pickups would be eliminated as well for the same so called safety reason?!

Jefferson had it right 250 years ago...the government that governs least governs best.

Jim Norton
                Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Wahoo View Post
                  The original Mega-G had bulkheads at the front and rear of the armature. The rear bulkhead also held the ground effects magnets in place which made it pretty easy to remove or change those magnets. In 2008, as a result of a "groundbreaking" safety law by our crack legislature, we had to re-design the chassis to make the ground effects magnets un-removeable for safety reasons. (Not one life has been saved and no injuries have been prevented but, on the other hand, billions of dollars have been lost, thousands of companies are out of business and many tens of thousands of jobs were lost so hey, we accomplished something, right?).
                  Insane!! Countries pay top dollar to supposedly put the "best brains" in power and this is what they come up with??

Steve, genuinely sorry to hear that such obstacles seem to face you guys every step of the way. Hope you never lose the drive for trying to move forward.

Thanks,
                  Michael.

Comment

Working...
                  X