Let's hear from Mega G owners.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's hear from Mega G owners.

I don't have one of these yet because I've been waiting for the new sports cars to come out (next July? : )) but I read posts once in a while where people have had issues with them.

I'd like to hear from all those who have at least one & have driven in for a decent amount of time. General impressions? Problems? Fixes to problems? Thanks guys.

I have 9 Mega G chassis and the rear axle stripped the ID of the crown gear on one of them after very little usage. Other than that, the cars have proven to be fast and reliable.

You didn't ask, but to put it into persepective, my favorite chassis for basement racing is the X-Traction UltraG. They're relatively inexpensive at $6 each, easy to get parts for, and fit a wide variety of bodies. I bought the Mega G cars mostly for the looks and not the performance but for the price, they better hold up well in occasional racing.

Comment

We hosted the Mega-G Champ cars in a 4 lane race when these cars were first introduced. What we discovered was that these cars were not only a great pleasure to drive but were equally matched for one of the most competitive races we have had. The race lated about 2 hours and all cars performed without flaws right out of the package.

Jim Norton
      Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post
        I've been waiting for the new sports cars to come out (next July? : ))
        What NEW sports cars are you referring to????

Comment

using slip on silicone tires
          I got the car to hook up great!
          fast and handled well
          I did not lower the front would make it handle better as well

Comment

The Audi & Peugeot + they have remastered one of the old Porsche bodies (956 or 962 I think) to sit properly (low & sleek) on the chassis.

Originally posted by fastlap View Post
            What NEW sports cars are you referring to????

Comment

If you don't mind which brand/size?

Originally posted by slotking View Post
              using slip on silicone tires
              I got the car to hook up great!
              fast and handled well
              I did not lower the front would make it handle better as well

Comment

I only have two of the Mega G 1.5 cars so far. Before I even ran them, I shimmed the rear axles to remove excessive side to side play. On one of the two cars, I went with narrow BSRT hubs, and silicone tires on the rear, and with the BSRT G3 #950 front tires. BIG differance in the handling. The second car never seemed right handling wise. When I went to put the BSRT hubs on it, I found the rear axle was bent. Back then there was no spare parts for them, not even pickup shoes!! Went with Super G+ axle (?), and just put a little drop of green Loctite on old crown gear. No problems with either crown gear. Both cars are now on their 4th pair of pickup shoes. Going to look at the motor brushes soon!!!

Comment

afx maga G

I have 4 maga Gs,2- 1.5 wheel base stock cars,a1.5 ford GT40 in gulf colors which i love and a 1.7 wheel base indy car.The rear tires would fly off the indy car on my banked 4 lane speedway,but glued them on whith r/c tire glue.I did a controled speed runs with a maga G 1.7 indy car and a afx super G+ indy car on my banked ovel with short shoots the turns, its called Key Lime Speedway and the cars were about the same speed.You can see the maga G stock cars on u tube @ key lime speedway. thanks

Comment

I bought all 4 different liveries of the F1 Mega-G's when they first came out! Smooth and FAST on my Max Trax layout and they raced very well against each other. One of the racers smacked his car hard and broke the nose wing on the Red Bull livery car, which happened to be the most sought after livery after they were sold out!! I have a few of the GT-40 cars as well and they are terrific on small twisty layouts. Add some slip-on silicones for better grip, but they run great out of the package after a proper break-in. Overall, I must say that the detail on these cars is the best yet that I have ever seen in HO. I can't wait for the Audi and Pugeot to the hit the stores......I will be stocking up this time!!

Comment

We ran our 4 Hour Enduro with MG1.5's, we stripped the Crown Gear ID on at least 4 axles, and had problems with the upper portion of the p/u shoes. Suspect this problem wouldn't occur on the longer 1.7 shoes.
                      All needed a shim behind the crown gear, way to much lateral play in the axle.
                      Old skool Turbo style wheels seemed a loose fit, had one car lose a rear wheel, and mine ran as OneWheelDrive for a while!

When running on the 12x4 Max, they were very fast and smooth (once we fixed up the problems).
                      Wheels and details on the 1.7's are very nice.

Comment

if you don't mind which brand/size
                        supertires
                        not sure of the size I recently traded or sold it.

I have been selling or trading my somewhat collectibles for money or cars i race

when reminds me to ups my photo bucket

Comment

I have two of the longer chassis F1 cars and these two red 1.5 chassis cars.

They all seemed to run pretty well out of the box and they have since broken themselves in (no real procedure, just through easy running at first then normal use) and they've become even faster and smoother. The bodies are to die for. And they're pretty sturdy, too!

Comment

I like the 1.5 more than the 1.7, the 1.7 didnt like my franken-tracks. I build and tear down due to no room at my house, and I like tight curve road courses, the 1.7s didnt so much guard rail rubbing and it seemed like the track couldnt have the slightest flaw, the f1s are beautiful but I dont like having shelf toys.

Comment

Stunning photo Rolls. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X