AFX G-Plus Brush Replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFX G-Plus Brush Replacement

After reading some helpful tips on this forum, I've got the nerve to replace the brushes in my G-Plus cars. The first used set came out with each brush broken in two pieces. I used a bent paper clip to push out the rest of the brush. Now I see that the new brushes have a groove at one end. Does that grooved end face the armature?

Rich
    Last edited by Stinch; 12-19-2010, 05:54 AM. Reason: Corrected typo

I've answered my own question. The groove end goes toward the the brush spring. Thats what I found in a car that I've had since new. Two other cars that I picked at random had broken brushes. Is it common for the brushes to break in two?

BTW, I took pictures of a little tool I made that makes putting the armature back in easy. I'll post them later after I get the pictures off the camera.
    Last edited by Stinch; 12-19-2010, 05:57 AM. Reason: Clarified information

Comment

Originally posted by Stinch View Post
      After reading some helpful tips on this forum, I've got the nerve to replace the brushes in my G-Plus cars. The first used set came out with each brush broken in two pieces. I used a bent paper clip to push out the rest of the brush. Now I see that the new brushes have a groove at each end. Does that grooved end face the armature?

Rich
      The end with the little nipple faces the spring and away from the armature.

Comment

Glad this came up! I need to replace the brushes on a dozen warhorse G-Plus cars.

Comment

Originally posted by plymouth71 View Post
          The end with the little nipple faces the spring and away from the armature.
          Don't pancake motors use this type of brush? My G-Plus brushes have a groove.

Comment

Very similar design actually. The nipple is there to hold the spring in place. If yours have a v groove, that end should face the armature.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Comment

The G-Plus brushes have a concave curve at one end and a groove at the other. I've always installed them with the curve facing the arm and the groove toward the spring.

I've have to remove the arm to replace the brushes. After I install new brushes, I have to tape them in place to compress the springs and get the arm back in place. I pull the tape out after the arm is snapped in. The brushes always crack if I don't use this method. Any other ideas out there?

Comment

I took a very thin strip of 1/8" wide aluminum that I had laying around and bent it into a horseshoe shape. I made sure the two ends were smooth and parallel for a 1/2" or so. Using a small screwdriver, I separated the brushes and inserted the ends of the bent strip of metal. A slight outward pressure from the tool kept the brushes compressed while it stood up from the chassis. The armature was placed between the tool and pressed down into the chassis. While withdrawing the tool, a click was heard as the brushes contacted the armature.

Comment

I was looking at the single Aurora G Plus car that I have and it looked like you should be able to remove each brush tube holder from the chassis along with the brush tube, spring and brush. I did try removing the pickup shoe and spring and prying the holder from the bottom of the chassis with no luck. From the upper side when I worked a small screwdriver between the back side of the brush tube holder and the chassis I was able to take it out. The brush that came out was contoured on the commutator end and flat on the spring end.

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                      I was looking at the single Aurora G Plus car that I have and it looked like you should be able to remove each brush tube holder from the chassis along with the brush tube, spring and brush. I did try removing the pickup shoe and spring and prying the holder from the bottom of the chassis with no luck. From the upper side when I worked a small screwdriver between the back side of the brush tube holder and the chassis I was able to take it out. The brush that came out was contoured on the commutator end and flat on the spring end.
                      I can confirm this. I always remove the brush barrel and the clip. Especially remounting is much easier (at least for me) this way. Never got those different blade things to work, but neither have heard of the tape method before.

Removing the whole clip/barrel assembly might first seem like more work but is definitely easier than chasing springs and brushes all over the workbench, ehm. room...

Kind regards from Switzerland
                      Stephan

Comment

That depends, some people might have trouble snapping the brush tube holder back in place. There is plenty of room to pry back the brushes and tape them in place before you pull the armature. I would not try to remove the brushes unless I already had replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                          That depends, some people might have trouble snapping the brush tube holder back in place. There is plenty of room to pry back the brushes and tape them in place before you pull the armature. I would not try to remove the brushes unless I already had replacements.
                          I replaced a pair of brush holders and it was a pain to get them to fit tight. It took a few attempts but I finally got them to where they didn't move on the chassis. I was getting a little concerned that I might damage the small plastic retaining tab. I think in the future I'll leave the brush holders in and take the long way around by removing the arm and magnets.

Rich

Comment

Decided to bite the bullet and replace some G-Plus brushes tonight. I ended up removing arm and
                            one brush barrel clip. Put one brush in barrel still on chassis. Put arm and magnets back in.
                            Held Clip/barrel/brush assembly together with tape on side that I removed. Installed it in
                            chassis, pulled tape, runs great.
                            Question: When do you replace Brush Barrels? How do you know they are bad?

Comment

Question: When do you replace Brush Barrels? How do you know they are bad?

Car was sputtering and arcing...did I win the prize???

I'll have to try the tape method... after a frustrating 2 hours, the G+ is still in the shop awaiting repairs...decided to pull out another from the stable and that was racing was more fun ...guess i'll have to find a good pit crew

Comment

Working...
                              X