Mega-G blank Indy body fitment issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega-G blank Indy body fitment issue

Anyone else notice this issue or am I just the lucky one?

The plain blank body Panoz DP01 Indy body rides high at the tail compared to the deco'd Mega-G Indy cars I have. I have three blanks and they all do this. I also swapped out chassis from the deco'd cars to see if I had a 'funny' chassis and the blank bods did it with the other chassis as well.

There seems to be a fit issue at the molded area of the body near the crown gear . . . I have remedied the problem on one body by Dremel'ing down a pair of tabs which align near the back of the chassis. This got the rear gearbox right down to where the deco'd cars are. Very strange issue.

I will try to snap a few pics to better illustrate this when I get thru some more holiday stuff tomorrow. Just wondering, I guess, if anyone else has had a similar problem. I got my blank bods when they first hit, from Bud's HO in NY.

OK here is some pics illustrating what I have found and how I have fixed it.

Here's a pic of the blank Indy body on the left, with the deco'd body on the right. Note how high the gearbox is on the blank, and subsequently, how high the rear wing is up in the air. I'd definitely prefer to race the car on the right . . . :

You can see there is no chassis installation issues, all the mounts line up correctly on both bods:

I drew some arrows on the blank on the top to show the area I Dremel'd down a little, with the blank on the bottom showing the end result:

Now the After pic - You can see that the blank bodon the left now rides right down where it belongs, just like its deco'd sibling on the right:

Since first posting this, I have checked all my Mega-G Indy cars and I have found a couple of the deco'd bodies that also have this trait, so it is not limited to just the blanks, ruling out a possible production run error for the blank cars only:

Easy enough fix to get all your Mega-G Indy cars handling the same.

Thanks.

Comment

Here's a trick question. Are the chassis you are using the original !.7 MG'S that came under the first 4 bodies or are they the "2nd generation" 1.7 MG's I just wonder if the 2 different chassis take slightly different mountings and you just figured this out for us ?

Durf

Comment

Durf -- I tried both the original and newer version 1.7 chassis. They both have the same issue.

Comment

I wasn't sure . I haven't bought a gen 2 1.7 yet .

Thanks,
          Durf

Comment

Wow the pictures were great I'm going to check mine. thanks

Comment

Ok, do the bodies have the same casting numbers in them?
              My guess is that they don't...

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by noddaz View Post
                Ok, do the bodies have the same casting numbers in them?
                My guess is that they don't...

Scott
                I am not seeing any casting numbers in them. Inside surfaces are smooth.

Comment

Good info 'Doba. I have some of the original and newer cars and decided to take a look. The results were very interesting.

The original bodies all have the bumps that you dremeled out and fit normally.
                  One of my newer cars has the bumps and sits high on the chassis as you indicated.
                  One of my newer cars has the bumps removed by what appears to be a solder gun tip or other hot instrument and sits lower on the chassis but not as low as the original body.
                  Swapping the bodies between the original and newer chassis does not change the stance.

Thanks for the heads up... now I know to watch for this.

Gary
                  AKA LeeRoy98
                  www.marioncountyraceway.com

Comment

some of your cars where made on mon and Friday...... and the others were made tue-thrus hahahaha

Comment

Cordoba,
                      Nice info.

Comment

Working...
                      X