Mega G crown gear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega G crown gear

What are you guys using to tighten up the crown/pinion mesh in your Mega G's? Is there something readily availabe (hardware store, etc.)? Our next race is Sunday night and if I order something, I may (or may not) have it in time.

Originally posted by thoskirc View Post
    What are you guys using to tighten up the crown/pinion mesh in your Mega G's? Is there something readily availabe (hardware store, etc.)? Our next race is Sunday night and if I order something, I may (or may not) have it in time.
    A picture of this would be great too. (show the crown with the fix)

Comment

Originally posted by thoskirc View Post

Just get some Wizzard or BSRT arm shims. Some .003, .005, .010, and .015 sizes will do the trick. Just shim the play out between crown gear boss and frame rail on that side. Lucky Bob's has them in stock everytime I ordered them!!!!

Comment

if you are concerned that the shims won't come in the mail in time for the race, you might be able to find some aluminum tubing at a local hobby or hardware store that will be a good fit around the axle. if you have a dremel and a steady hand, you could make a shim.

people do this all the time in 1/32 scale, but you'd obviously need more precision to do it right in HO...

Comment

Originally posted by boopiejones View Post
          if you are concerned that the shims won't come in the mail in time for the race, you might be able to find some aluminum tubing at a local hobby or hardware store that will be a good fit around the axle. if you have a dremel and a steady hand, you could make a shim.

people do this all the time in 1/32 scale, but you'd obviously need more precision to do it right in HO...
          Great idea!!

Comment

Stupid question but where do I find them on either site?

Originally posted by Dr. Gamma View Post
            Just get some Wizzard or BSRT arm shims. Some .003, .005, .010, and .015 sizes will do the trick. Just shim the play out between crown gear boss and frame rail on that side. Lucky Bob's has them in stock everytime I ordered them!!!!

Comment

by the way, it looks like K&S 3/32 aluminum tubing would be a great fit. it has .014 wall thickness, so doing the math that leaves an internal diameter of 0.06575

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post
                Stupid question but where do I find them on either site?

Stupid answer for stupid question, The Wizzard shims are under "WIZZARD SPACERS" on Lucky Bob's site.

The BSRT ones are a little harder, The BSRT shims are under "BSRT HIGH PERFORMANCE ELECTRICAL,PICK UP SHOES, MAGNETS, BUSHINGS & BEARINGS" on Lucky Bob's Site.

Or what I do is call Lucky Bob, ask him if he is busy, if not I just give him the sizes I need. And he pulls them off his parts wall, and sends them to me. I am old school, I like to talk to a living, breathing human with TONS of knowledge. So I call Lucky Bob. I never check and see if he is 10 cents higher on a part. His knowledge is worth it even if his part was a dollar more than his competition. I don't have a Local Hobby Store, so I need someone like Mr. Bob when I need a truthful answer!!

Two day air them puppies and be done with it!!!!! Or how much is a Next Day Envelope from the post office, 10 bucks. If I need it, I WILL NEXT DAY AIR IT. Its only money. Some people spend 60 bucks in a bar on drinks in one night, and then they complain about 10 bucks on shipping. I don't get it!!!!
                Last edited by Dr. Gamma; 12-28-2010, 05:13 PM. Reason: kan't spell

Comment

You can use the plastic spacer that is on armatures.
                  Keep it oiled because plastic against plastic makes friction. It will do in a pinch. But would change it out ASAP to the bronze or steel type spacers. Don't push the gear over. Your only looking to take up space so it limits side travel, keeps gear mesh. Drive line should feel free and smooth.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas; much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X