Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG+ or Mega-G ?

I'm new in slot cars.
    I have -6 Mega-G 1.7, - 4 Mega-G 1.5, -2 Auto World Ultra-g, -2 Aurora AFX Magna-Traction. I think buy the 4 way split (AFX kit 9947) only for the 4 wide SG+ ($ 100 + $ 50 shipping). I have never driven Super G but I heard it's better than the Mega-G, could you tell me the + and - between both and if I make a good buy.

I dont know about the mega-g (never driven it), but the SG+ cars are stupid fast, but stick fairly well, especially with the indy/f1 bodies. There is also an ajustment you can make to allow the car to brake more or less. I like these cars, not my #1 favorite, but I still really like them. If possible, make sure you get the newer grey chassis, instead of the older and more brittle black chassis. i have had to reglue the traction mags a few times on the black chassis that I have after the magnet retainer broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Stc View Post
      I'm new in slot cars.
      I have -6 Mega-G 1.7, - 4 Mega-G 1.5, -2 Auto World Ultra-g, -2 Aurora AFX Magna-Traction. I think buy the 4 way split (AFX kit 9947) only for the 4 wide SG+ ($ 100 + $ 50 shipping). I have never driven Super G but I heard it's better than the Mega-G, could you tell me the + and - between both and if I make a good buy.
      hi there i have a maga g f1 car and up against my mates super g i have not got a chance
      handling our speed the super g got me. bare in mind i may of just got a bad one

Comment

Super G+ vs Mega G Chassis

As I only race on my home track (Tomy), I cannot give the racer's perspective. But I have had experience with Super G+ for years, as well as Turbo and SRT, and got into the Mega G's as soon as they were available. The problem with Super G+ are those "pneumatic" rear tires; you have to replace the wheel hubs (or use "Jel Claws" made for those hubs) if you want to take advantage of the selection of slip on tire upgrades that are available in the market. Otherwise, they are fast and handle well (why else would BSRT have copied it for their G3 & G-Jet?).
        The SRT is primarily a neo magnet upgrade of the AFX Racing Turbo, and is a good running chassis; I use them with a number of my Sports Prototype, Cam Am, and GT bodies, all with tire upgrades.
        Mega G's are slim, low profile chassis that permit better proportioned open wheel and LMP-1 bodies to be used, as well as possibilities for any number of new body styles. I have yet to replace the rear tires with silicones (I just use a tire cleaner on them). The short wheel base version (1.5) comes with a detachable body clip for use with older AFX bodies, but as the clip covers the armature, it sticks up too high for use on open top sportscars. I cut out the middle section, and glued the ends to the chassis to get it as low as possible. This allowed me to mount an AFX Ferrari 312PB more realistically:

As you can see, the wheels fill the wheelwells better by doing this. Personally, I like the way they handle. At least on my track, they will drift slightly after a couple of laps (dust pickup, I imagine), and only break free completely if you punch it too soon coming out of a corner. Biggest problem I can see, is with the new Audi & Peugeot, they are as wide as can be and still scrape by while side by side on Tomy track. They need to start widening the slots slightly.
        Last edited by Speedhoppy; 04-29-2014, 07:23 AM. Reason: Enlarged picture, spelling correction/sentence structure

Comment

Tomy SG+ cars are no longer being made, so if you are keen on having some you had better buy them now. Mega G cars seem to have been made in rather limited quantities. SG+ cars use rear wheels with a center rib, so aftermarket tires can't be used on them unless you replace the wheels. On my track, with both cars using the same slip-on silicone tire, the SG+ cars would be at least a tenth of a second faster. That does not sound like much of a difference, but for a 3 minute heat it is about a lap and a half. The cars can be equalized by running stock tires on the SG+ cars and silicones on the Mega Gs. The Mega G car was intended to be a more scale appearing car than other modern HO cars and that was done by sacrificing a little performance.

Comment

There are still tons of SG+ cars out there, they shouldn't be very hard to find.

Comment

312 is looking mighty sweet, 'hoppy.

Comment

The gray SG+ chassis has been very durable and consistently fast for me. I have found that sanding the stock SG+ rear tires improves the grip noticeably. With the sanded rears, the SG+ F1 cars compete pretty well against the MegaG 1.7s with stock tires on my track.

Comment

That's been my experience, too.

Another aspect for me is the "feel" of the car. I'll give it more time, but at this point, I have a preference for the lighter, smoother feel I get from an SG+, rather than the harsher, heavier feel of the Mega-G. The Mega-G, to me at least, feels more like an SRT.

I love the low-slung and beautifully detailed bodies that the Mega-G enables.

Comment

I have 10 Mega-G
                    6 Long Wheel Base (1.7) and 4 Short Wheel Base (1.5)
                    1 LWB with 1 front rim off center (don't have tire puller or press for hubs)
                    1 LWB has always been noisy, much slower and I never found the problem.
                    1 LWB and 2 SWB running on only 3 wheels

For the 3 wheels running I LOOK EVERYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE AND ONLY 1 THING I DON'T TRY:
                    Put chassis in hot water for few minutes.I also think that the hole for the rear axle or the front axel is perhaps not straight or that the frame is bent for this 3 Mega-G.
                    My Mega-G 1.7 in good shape are lot faster in straight line and curves than the 1.5. They are all stock but all mounted on 4 silicone tires .

Comment

SG+ vs. Mega G

According to Steve at Racemasters, only the Mega G's (short / long wheelbase) are going to be made going forward, so we might as well enjoy the benefits that low profile chassis affords us, and think of ways to make them faster and handle better, if there are those that are not satisfied.Certainly, there will be "hop-up" parts that will be developed going forward, as well as copies of both the Super G+ & SRT (like BSRT did with their Super G+ copy), as I don't imagine there are patents protecting those designs now that Tomy / Racemasters has moved forward.
                      I'm only guessing here, but the comments I've heard about a particular chassis being faster and/or handle better than another chassis only comes into play IF you race different chassis together. If you are running all Mega G chassis, or Super G+, or any chassis you choose, where is the speed difference, unless you allow modifications (such as better tires)? Only if you mix chassis are you going to see a difference, and that forces you to allow one type to have different tires, or lexan bodies vs. hardbodies or some other modification to equalize. If I'm missing something, please tell me.
                      Rolls, thanks for the comment on the 312. It just required a little cutting of a plastic clip to accomplish.

Comment

When I first got into HO I hated the Super-G+ in its stock form. It was just too twitchy on my home track and I couldn't get the benefit of its speed without it flying across the room on the corners.

On the other hand, I loved the Mega-G straight out of the box - it was quick, handled beautifully and was more of a challenge than the Tyco 440x2 (which I liked too, but not quite as much).

Then I started club racing and a couple of racers gave me tips about how to make some simple changes to the SG+ to run in a stock class against Life Like Ts. Using the very same chassis that I had hated, I fell in love with the SG+,performed surprisingly well in the club races with it and even won a race.

I also use the very same Mega-G in the club's stock F1 class and still really enjoy racing it. Still waiting for my first win.

Okay, that's my story. My conclusions? HO chassis all have their own individual characteristics and all are interesting - especially with some minor modifications. No better or worse.

Comment

WC something changed, wasn't the chassis. So it must be your skill level.
                          Sit down Son. I'm really sorry to say this, You have the Fever.

Comment

When the Mega first came out I did a test report on it and I observed that there was a lot of track clearence under the front of the car and that the front tires were already low profile, so sanding them down to lower the front of the car would not be an option. With an aftermarket front end with smaller diameter tires the car would be faster at the cost of scale appearence. Nobody out there is making cars with the intention of exactly matching the performance of their competitors. If anyone wants to race boxstock versions of different makes together then one make is likely to dominate. If you want to run different makes against each other you are going to have to allow carefully considered modifications to some of the cars.
                            Last edited by RichD; 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I'm new in slot cars.
                              I have -6 Mega-G 1.7, - 4 Mega-G 1.5, -2 Auto World Ultra-g, -2 Aurora AFX Magna-Traction. I think buy the 4 way split (AFX kit 9947) for the 4 wide SG+ ($ 100 + $ 50 shipping). I have never driven Super G but I heard it's better than the Mega-G, could you tell me the + and - between both and if I make a good buy.

I should perhaps bought 2 BSRT G3-R? It would be cheaper but I lose 36 feet of running rack.
                              With AFX 4 Way Split # 9947, I wanted the 18 X 12rad. 1 / 8 curve tracks.
                              Stock SG+ are sold between 22$-32$ It's approximately 120$ (4) without the 36 feets of track...
                              As I said, I never racing SG+ or BSRT.
                              In Canada, Quebec we have nothing for slot car racing, I must order U.S.
                              Last edited by Stc; 01-26-2011, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X